Are you embarrassed in what you do ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
to answer the original question "am I embarrassed about what I do?" - no.

once you get to my age and hit uni - it's a real level playing field. - I'll say to people on my course "I'm off camping tomorrow" - the general response is "fair enough mate have fun" - or even "bloomin eck mate IN SCOTLAND, IN OCTOBER???" lol.

all the best mate.

Andy

blackfeather

Settler
Jun 13, 2010
west yorkshire
Hi you are 16 years old and worried about what your fpeers will think or say when they see you of to do what you feel is the right thing to do for you.
just imagine if they followed you to the woods at night and saw you sat in the entrance of your bivi watching your camp fire steadily cook a lovely stew for your supper!! they would probably feel it was something awsome!! cos the primative is still in all of us some people struggle with it and some embrace it.
now ! am 45 years old and I follow the wiccan faith. just imagine then a few of my mates curious about what I am up to following me into the woods to see me doing an open air ritual calling the quarters etc and chanting earth air fire water over and over again..
puts catching someone boiling a billy in a whole new light.
what i am trying to say is none of us are doing anything wrong and regardless of what others think we feel its right to do so.
we as wiccans are not devil worshippers in fact we dont even accept the name of such a thing as the devil. for centuries we have been outcast by the same society which is in charge today. as with your peers your peers you must understand that people still fear the unknown and things they cant understand.
if they took the time and used a little grey matter they may get to understand a bit more. and may even start to take an interest for themselves.
those of us who follow the ways of the old ones, the ways of our ancestors, the ways of nature, know instinctively what is right.
wiccans live by a very simple rule its the last line of the wiccan rede. (eight words the wiccan rede fulfill. an it harm none, do what you will.
in other words so long as no one or no thing suffers by your actions, including yourself!! go out and feel the wind on your face. and let natures breath fill your lungs.
hope this is at least a little help.

blackfeather

Settler
Jun 13, 2010
west yorkshire
Your religion sounds so dolefully negative
I dont know how my religion could sound negative in any way, and to try to clarify it a little its more of a way of life than religion for example our school of thought is based around nature as i said as are the religions/belief systems of most of the worlds tribal peoples.
can you explain negative in the love of life, they beauty in the scent and wonderous colours of the woods and flowers. the joy of watching new born animals or children take their first steps. or the negative aspect of helping someone less fortunate than yourself?
nature is the religion of the witches/ wiccan but it can only work in perfect balance and harmony.
wicca is not negative or positive it is both because nature is both. loving and cruel the beauty of a gazzelle being born and its joy of life as it runs and jumps for the first time. and the cruelty of a team of hyenas catching and killing it.
the word witch is a shortened word for the country skill of wicker basketry, wicca, witch, wicker, and that nasty word (wicked) all come from the ability to bend and manipulate, the natural world to be able to live alongside nature helping nature in anyway we can and in turn being able to request the forces of nature to assist us.
calling the quarters means requesting the powers of the four winds borious (north) eurious (east) notus (south) and zepherous (west) to assist in what we do. perhaps a healing spell for someone with a life threatening disease. or perhaps a spell to help someone find a new home. even to help a kid with their exams or on the other hand to put a blocker on the activities of one of the local hooligans.
hope that clarifies my negative religion a little for you.

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
On a lighter note and probably not what the original poster was looking for.
I am often embarrased by what I do.
Hammock cords snapping just before I get up but just after everyone else does.
Leaving my weekends food unprotected and assuming the farm dog wouldn't eat chilli.
Nearly removing a finger with an axe.
Arriving at a camp looking forward to testing a new stove......... without any fuel.
Not taking any spare clothes when the forecast is for torrential rain.
Having a first aid kit so old that the sticking plaster doesn't stick
There are probably many more that I've forgotten too.
Otherwise I normally feel about as embarrassed as anyone else talking about thier hobby,anyone for a bit of trainspotting,birdspotting ,wargaming,matchbox collecting or football watching?

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Yes, I will admit Im a bit of a klutz compared to some people.

But that doesnt mean I dont have fun trying

Big Geordie

Nomad
Jul 17, 2005
Bonny Scotland
I was bullied and told I was a bit of a numpty at school, because I found some of the teenage stuff boring. So I did my thing outdoors and in peace.
Just last week a group of 200 5'th formers at my local school told me how cool i am. I'm not a teacher, but I do talk to groups about life skills.
Be true to yourself. The other guys are just beginning to look for who they reallyare. They will find out eventually and some will want to join you because you are the one who is cool.
Stay in touch with the Scottish group. There's some really talented people up here and you will definitely get invited out to do stuff. Watch out for Toddy, she has more talent and knowledge than the rest of us yet she is great to talk to.
All the best,
George

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Yup.

What was it the famous Italian style leader said once?

When asked about his dress sense

He said `Every morning, I coat myself in glue, and walk though the wardrobe.`

(Hey! Thats just what I do!)

Ryecroft

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 26, 2007
North Shropshire
I work in an office, a manager of younger and older people and supposed to be in a 'dynamic' position and doing well for myself.

People used to ask me how I have got on in business etc etc., but since telling them that I prefer to sit around a camp fire than a board room table, and prefer to be using my pole lathe to a Laptop, they took the mickey no-end. But then I invited them all to my house for a BBQ, no-one wanted to watch Big Brother, play on the wii etc etc., I could not get them off the pole lathe or stop them simply chopping logs.

They were amazed at the difference in the feeling of doing something 'out-doors-y' against the normal activities associated with modern day life.

That was three years ago, and they still have a bit of a laugh when I tell them what I have been doing over the weekend, but our last 'team weekend away' consisted of canoeing down the river Wye and sleeping in tipi's - and everyone loved it.

In truth, many people want to mess about in woods or fields, but have not got the guts or where-with-all to get out there and try it.

This site is great, especially when you read of new members taking families out for a walk in the woods or for an overnighter for the first time and what a great time they have.

Radix lecti

Native
Jan 15, 2006
Gloucester
Pinerevolver, i have my swedish rucksack packed for an overnighter today,i told my family and friends where im going and i dont give a HOOT what anyone says, i'm off out to do something i like doing,just be yourself and have fun.Cheers.
Darren

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
i no were ur coming from im 26 and and keep what i do to myself as non of my mates are even aware of bushcraft,tho sum do call me ray cus i had sum things in my car but it dosnt bother me anymore but diferent when ur 16, when i was younger me and my mate wud get comoed up and go and make dens and fires etc in the woods but one day wen walking back thru a field a girl from school was walking her dog so we both darted behind the only tree in the field sadly only bigger nuff for 1(me) my mate didnt here the end of it for a wile so made up a story he was folowing a bloke who had a secret beer stash in the woods which was a bit cooler. so i wud suggest if u no people will take the pee dont tell them and if u get seen use my old excuse im colecting wood for my grandad to make walking sticks. hope this helps

F

fiskman6666

Im 16 and being up in the woods all the time and learning about them is'nt the coolest thing to be doing at my age. When others ask " What were you doing up there with a steel billy can ?" i find it hard to reply because i feel that they wont understand or consider it as nerdish. I usally make up some mumbo jumbo on the spot. What do you guys do in a situation like this ?

Tell them nothing if they are being hostile ish,prob easier for me at my ancient age as i just say i need some space.
Hey it's your life,go for it if you want it get it.
Dave

F

fiskman6666

never a truer word was ever said. Be your own man ,not one of the herd.
Dave

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Im 16 and being up in the woods all the time and learning about them is'nt the coolest thing to be doing at my age. When others ask " What were you doing up there with a steel billy can ?" i find it hard to reply because i feel that they wont understand or consider it as nerdish. I usally make up some mumbo jumbo on the spot. What do you guys do in a situation like this ?

Mate, if you get caught wearing yer mums dress, then maybe you have something to be embarrassed about, but chilling out in nature is just part of life. They'll get over it and so will you. ;)

BarryG

Nomad
Oct 30, 2007
NorthWest England
Assuming you live to 80, you'll still have 60% of your life in which you can surround yourself with like & open minded people.

As soon as you leave school, move away from home, start work..whatever...there'll be a whole new set of people to deal with, and you cant spend all your energy ducking and diving.

I wouldn't worry too much what people think, as most of those that give you a hard time, wont even be in your life within a couple of months, unless you want them to be. You can choose your friends after all. If your'e a round peg, find a round hole.

In my experience, most people are interested when i mention bushcraft; and yeah i get the P*** ripped out of me, but its all in good natured stuff and i join in.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Mate, if you get caught wearing yer mums dress, then maybe you have something to be embarrassed about, but chilling out in nature is just part of life. They'll get over it and so will you. ;)

Absolutely, better doing that than being stuck in front of the TV and wearing your thumb joints out on a Playstation controller.

You talking from experience there Martyn?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE