Are you a Swiss Army Knife owner?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Do you own (or have you owned) a SAK?

• Total voters
N

nppulse

i have three swiss army knives:
i have one with just a large and small blade, quite an old one with a small blade and file, and a newly aquired voyager, with loads of things inc a clock.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I stopped counting them about 10 years ago. All I know is that if I listed them all in a spreadsheet, it would take me a good long while. :eek:): It would take me even longer to find them as they are squirreled away in glove compartments, tool boxes, trunks, tackle boxes, desk drawers at work, and backpacks. I keep one beside every computer I use which is roughly four.

I would feel buck naked without a SAK of one sort or another on me. As it is, I carry two every day, a minichamp and a ranger.

jason01

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 24, 2003
Here's some of mine, not shown in the pic is the one I use most and have had for 20 odd years, I replaced the scales on it out of neccesity after it turned up in the washing machine, the plastic ones melted, the liners are corroded awl is broken but its still the one I reach for. Wouldnt go anywhere without it at one time, rarely carry one now.

sak.jpg

Sorry if Ive posted this b4!

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
jason01 said:
Here's some of mine, not shown in the pic is the one I use most and have had for 20 odd years, I replaced the scales on it out of neccesity after it turned up in the washing machine, the plastic ones melted, the liners are corroded awl is broken but its still the one I reach for. Wouldnt go anywhere without it at one time, rarely carry one now.

Jason do you do the scales yourself? If yes then do you do any for other people?

Thanks

Bill

jason01

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 24, 2003
Hi Bill

I did the scales myself, its not practical for me to do them commercially, particularly with the harder woods shown above (Boxwood, African Blackwood, Lignum Vitae, Cocobolo) the cost in terms of time makes it totally prohibitive, but I dont mind doing the odd one as a favour ;)

Drop me a pm and let me know what you had in mind.

Jason

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
How do scales attach onto a SAK? I've wondered this for a long time. Each time mine get loose I just send it back for re-scaling.

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
Adi007 said:
How do scales attach onto a SAK? I've wondered this for a long time. Each time mine get loose I just send it back for re-scaling.
Seem to remember a similar discussion over at BB called somthing like custom SAK. I think the scales clip over a stud, a soak in very hot water will remove them.
Cheers
David

PurpleHeath

Forager
Jan 5, 2005
West Sussex, England
i have two Huntmans and the saw on them is great i once lost my first one for 2 months i had no idea that i would miss a knife so much! the one down side to the Huntsman is that if you use it too much it will give you blisters!

Rhapsody

Forager
Jan 2, 2005
Aldershot, nr. Guildford, UK
Surely everyone's had one of these at some point! For ages I've made a point of not leaving home without a handy tool of some kind, but in the last few years the classic penknife has been well and truly replaced by what is in my view the far superior Leatherman tool.

SquirrelBoy

Nomad
Feb 1, 2004
UK
Adi007 said:
Broken/damaged Victorinox SAKs can be sent to this address for free repair:

Burton McCall
Victorinox House
163 Parker Drive
Leicester
LE4 0JP

Phone: 0116 234 4600
Fax: 0116 235 0069

I was given a SAK years ago but it has some damage to the tip of the main blade - seems to have been used as a screwdriver at some point and is twisted :roll: :nono: oh the tweezers and toothpick is missing.
I was wondering if it would be ok to send it to these chaps, as im not the original owner?! Also am prob being dumb (in need of sleep!) but why do they offer a free repair service?

Cheers :biggthump

W

Walkabout

When I was ikkle I wanted a SAK a lot but my dad had a pathological dislike so i started out with an opinel and a p-38. (Which is named after the american ww2 p-38 fighter because the both work very fast)
I'd like to think i turned out vaguely normal. :roll:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE