Are you a Swiss Army Knife owner?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Do you own (or have you owned) a SAK?

• Total voters

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
i have several. i've got a mauser kicking about somewhere, and an executive that lives in my pocket as my edc. it does everything i need day to day.

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
I have one similar to the Trekker in the link above but it is red and has no loop on the knife blade oh and a lock. So its quite different I suppose, lol.

Sickboy

Nomad
Sep 12, 2005
London
Huntsman here, xmas present from my parent's when i started scout's, but had a sailing version of unknown origin from the age of 5 or so :)
Lost the huntsman in some rapids while i was in the south of france a few years ago, the other one still in my sock draw at my dad's, much better blade on it than the Victorinox, but must have been made out of lead as it weighed almost twice the amount as the huntsman :D

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I tend to prefer the really simple SAKs so I have a Soldier and a recently acquired Farmer - both superb and both Victorinox because they make the best tin openers in the world! :D :D

Outdoorsman

Feb 24, 2007
Wiltshire
At the moment I have a Hunter, Soldier, Spartan and a Bantam. Iv'e owned others when I was younger but they were all lost doing one thing or another. here's some pics:

VictorinoxHunterSmall.jpg

VictorinoxSoldierSmall.jpg

VictorinoxSpartanSmall.jpg

VictorinoxBantomSmall.jpg

benp1

Nomad
Nov 30, 2006
London
love SAKs!!!

Have a Soldier as my edc (sitting in my pocket right now)

Plus have loads others. Huntsman, Compact, Manager, Rogue, couple of proper Mausers and a couple of others I can't remember!

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
I have a hunstman which I managed to get for £10 a few years ago and gave my old one to my son.
He managed to break the scissors which I now try and get fixed with the onfo from this thread.

NatG

Settler
Apr 4, 2007
Southend On Sea
i've got about 4 or 5 but must of had at least 20 over the years, i currently have 3 classics and a huntsman with a thuya handle, gets used every day

Bisamratte

Nomad
Jun 11, 2006
Karben
The last time I read this thread I ended up buying my second sak. I bought a small classic one with black scales which I then re scaled with beech. I also have an old Huntsman (I think) that was my first ever real knife (I got a cheap copy sak before that and never used it because......well it looked like it would fall apart every time the blades where open :eek: )

Anyway they both live in my pockets and are used on a daily basis.

I'm going to buy another one now.......but which one :confused: ;)

Gailainne

Life Member
I have a Victorinox Champ, my second, the first I misplaced in Oz about 25 yrs ago, I bought my second when I returned and realised I'd lost it. Great tool, even better since GrahamS sharpened the prime and secondary blades to hair popping sharpness at Delamere :D.

Since seeing some posts on changing the scales, I think thats a project I will consider, thickening the scales in a nice wood, and losing the toothpick in favour of a small firesteel.

Stephen

;My first working knife was a sak and I treasured it well for over 20 years (ok the big blade snapped) until I was given my first leatherman. I then gave the sak away and realised very soon that compared to a leatherman tool for work, a SAK was not even worth having.

Now I own a wave and to be honest I'm not interested in a SAK. I'm amazed at the popularity of them on the forum especially regarding their limitations. My wife has one for her handbag as she likes the tweezers and wee scissors, they are handy for her eyebrows and nails ;) but she always uses a leatherman when away on camp with me!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have had many SAKs in my time and until I discovered Leatherman tools I thought they were the best knives in the world. Now I find them limitted and prefer to carry my Wave.
The only thing I miss is the corkscrew.......
John

Dr Onion

Forager
Mar 28, 2007
By Yon Bonnie Banks
I've had a few SAK's over the years but I have to admit I replaced them all with my Leatherman Charge a while back - I agree with Woodsmoke above, they are just far more handy to carry IMHO

Dr O

:)

Gailainne

Life Member
I had both my SAK and a leatherman with me on our Loch Lomond trip wOOdsmoke, the leatherman never came out the bag, and you know the SAK was in use the whole weekend. Agreed the SAK has its limitations, but it can handle a multitude of camp tasks with no worries.

Stephen

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE