Are you a Swiss Army Knife owner?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Do you own (or have you owned) a SAK?

• Total voters

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
I've been really lucky over the years ... misplaced my SAK many times, but, touch wood, it has always resurfaced after a few days tops! :-D

I usually keep a small repair kit of replacement bits ... just in case!

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
I struck really lucky a few years ago and bought a swiss champ including the double pouch complete with survival kit for £25 in a closing down sale, and what a tool, only problem is that it is a bit too chunky, but very handy to have around.
I then bought the Hunter like the forester but with a razor sharp gutting hook, 4" locking blade that sharpens beautilully.
I now see that they have a bigger version of the champ I think its called the carlosfandango champ 12" wide with 27,000 tools, what the hell are you going to do with that?
:yikes:

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Of course!

I've had an Astronaut for about 20 years, bit big for the pocket.
Most days I carry either a Huntsman or an old Cadet (mini Soldier)

Also got an economy Spartan with busted scales, planning to make new ones from a bit of Bog Oak when I get time.

Only pocket knives I've used more are Opinels, but the lock means they aren't legit for everyday carry.

Dave

EdS

I've got the Mauser (green one) great knife. Skinned many a rabbit not to mention a couple of deer with the skinning blade.

Also the tin opener is great - i'm left handed and find most other knife tin openers a real pain to use.

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Hmmm, yes. A lot of the tools on Victorinox SAKs are designed for right-handers. And considering that about 1 in 9 people are south-paws, I'm surprised that there's no left-handed version.

EdS said:
Also the tin opener is great - i'm left handed and find most other knife tin openers a real pain to use.

stevec

Oct 30, 2003
Sheffield
first was a rucksack, still my favourite,
second was a classic, handy for the keyring,
third, a present, was a huntsman, four layers and quite handy.

for those who have lost tweezers etc, try your local cutlers, they often stock replacements, i bought the glasses screwdriver that fits in the corkscrew the other day, i was quite happy, not bad for a quid.
also anyone tried the back of the wood saw for throwing sparks? its quite good, you just have to watch the teeth!!!

stevec said:
first was a rucksack, still my favourite,
second was a classic, handy for the keyring,
third, a present, was a huntsman, four layers and quite handy.

for those who have lost tweezers etc, try your local cutlers, they often stock replacements, i bought the glasses screwdriver that fits in the corkscrew the other day, i was quite happy, not bad for a quid.
also anyone tried the back of the wood saw for throwing sparks? its quite good, you just have to watch the teeth!!!

i just sharpened the back of the main blade with a Diamond hone to give sharp sqaure corners works fine can even be use wit hte blade still folded

ATB

Duncan

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
A lot of the tools on Victorinox SAKs are designed for right-handers. And considering that about 1 in 9 people are south-paws, I'm surprised that there's no left-handed version.

yeah but all their liner locks are left handed! :cool: :cool: :cool:

cheers, and.

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Really? By design? Or is that so that they can't be closed one handed?

sargey said:
A lot of the tools on Victorinox SAKs are designed for right-handers. And considering that about 1 in 9 people are south-paws, I'm surprised that there's no left-handed version.

yeah but all their liner locks are left handed! :cool: :cool: :cool:

cheers, and.

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
Sorry guys, I went off them completely after getting one wet in salt water which rotted the alluminium spacers to bits. On top of the perennial problems of grit in the pivots and the insecurity of the slipjoint - I ditched it for a small spyderco and have never looked back.

I have just one SAK nowadays - a promo item by my old firm, with blue scales and company logo. I keep it as a curiousity but never carried.

Cheers

sargey

Mod
Mod
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
but if you carried the sak you wouldn't have needed to abuse a woodlore knife opening cans on derwent water! :nana: :tw: :-D

cheers, and.

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
A tin can is not match for 01 tool steel!!! :-D :-D

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
I hate opening tins with my swiss army knife. Never got the knack of it. (That's Adi's job! :wink:)

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
For opening cans nothing beats the p-38 can opener ...

Apparantly, P stands for puncture while 38 is how may cuts it took to go around a C-ration can (also called a "John Wayne").

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Yep, that's the one ...
Yeah, I suppose that it would be difficult for a left hander to use that ...

EdS said:
Are these the small folding ones - a git to use left handed.

stevec

Oct 30, 2003
Sheffield
i find that the swiss army knife can opener is one of the better ones about, about ten years ago now i was on a camping holiday and the cooks had bought a cheap pressed metal opener from the supermarket, it broke after about two catering size cans of beans, so i lent them my knife and that was used to open all the cans of food for the whole week. mind you that was my rucksack, i think the extra length of handle makes the opener easier to use.

sargey

Mod
Mod
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
i dunno about the single handed opening/closing of liner locks on saks. as far as i know they just are left handed.

i've can't remember having a problem with opening cans with a sak, even though i'm a lefty meself. i think i just learnt to do it right handed. i know many of my scouts have a hard time with 'em.

still versatility for weight wise, they can't be beaten. :cool:

cheers, and.

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
Our kids were used to having their nails trimmed with the SAK scissors from when they were very tiny babies. Once we walked past a climbing shop window which had a two foot high model of a SAK with motor operated blades that opened and closed, and our youngest, who was about a year old, recognized it and stuck her hands out to have her nails cut! :-D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE