Arctic Sheffield - pic heavy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Had a nice walk with SWMBO today round Ladybower and Howden Resevoirs near Sheffield. I forgot to take my gaiters which was dumb as the snow was up to our knees in some places, she found it hilarious as it was the first time she`d remembered hers :rolleyes:

The pics are all a bit samey but it was a good day out, lost count of the numbers of snowball fights we had :D

IMG_4053.jpg

Yours truly, looking dumb

IMG_4056.jpg

Trees, snow and water. A common theme throughout ;)

IMG_4059.jpg

Saw these prints in the deep snow, I think the gap between the second and third prints was about 10ft. Pretty impressive jumping whether it was hare or rabbit.

IMG_4060.jpg

The snow was up to our knees as we followed the track up the valley

IMG_4061.jpg

Funky ice formations

IMG_4064.jpg

Lots of icicles sorry ......

IMG_4066.jpg

IMG_4070.jpg

IMG_4071.jpg

IMG_4072.jpg

SWMBO looking dumb, she did carry the pack all day bless her :rolleyes:

IMG_4073.jpg

IMG_4075.jpg

The snow was just starting to come down heavy again as we left so we just timed it nicely.

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
Really nice pics there, hopefully Barnet will get a nice blanket of snow tonight or tomorrow.

You gent getting your wife to carry the pack all day. Did she make the tea as well? :lmao:

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
That 1st pic makes me want to get a bunch of no hope recruits,train them till they're hard as steel, parachute behind the lines, meet up with the local partisans, and plan our attack etc etc, or is that just me?

crazyclimber

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 20, 2007
UK / Qatar
That 1st pic makes me want to get a bunch of no hope recruits,train them till they're hard as steel, parachute behind the lines, meet up with the local partisans, and plan our attack etc etc, or is that just me?

You haven't by any chance been watching RM's Telemark film have you? I saw those pics and immediately thought of that and Norway... before reading your comment!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire

It`s the place where the Dambusters 613 squadron practised the bouncing bomb Andy so you weren`t far off mate.

There`s a pretty cool museum in that tower, it`s right up your street Andy, full of WW2 gear.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Nice pics and just over the hill from me, about 4 miles as the crow flies but a lot further by road. I took some pics up at my workshop yesterday but I'll put them in another thread.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Rich, how fars that area from kinder scout?,Snake pass etc, i used to walk round there and get a beer in the Snake pass inn many years ago. crazy climber wasnt thinking of Ray mears telemark more that follow up of guns of navarone(force ten or something),the one with Edward fox,Barbara bach,Richard roundtree,Franco nero,Richard harris,etc where they have to blow up a damn, the pic just had that look about it,as if its being watched(well in my mind)

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Great pics of a great area. Even though I live on the edge of the highlands of Scotland, the Peak District is still a place I like to visit. It is a real jewel, and supremely important because it is the nearest wild country for the majority of the population.

Kinder is a remarkable place and quite testing. There is a tendency for the Welsh, Scots or Cumbrian outdoorsman to think Kinder is 'easy' as it is only half the height of our mountains and a few degrees further south. I have been scarily cold on Kinder in winter, it has claimed several lives, and if you fancy your navigational skills, the Kinder plateau in fog is a good place to humble yourself.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Rich, how fars that area from kinder scout?,Snake pass etc, i used to walk round there and get a beer in the Snake pass inn many years ago. crazy climber wasnt thinking of Ray mears telemark more that follow up of guns of navarone(force ten or something),the one with Edward fox,Barbara bach,Richard roundtree,Franco nero,Richard harris,etc where they have to blow up a damn, the pic just had that look about it,as if its being watched(well in my mind)

It`s on the A57 which is the Snake Pass, the pub`s a mile or so down the road. Ladybower is at the Sheffield end rather than the Glossop side.

Lovely place to visit but it`s hard to find a quiet spot as it`s always so busy.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Great pics of a great area. Even though I live on the edge of the highlands of Scotland, the Peak District is still a place I like to visit. It is a real jewel, and supremely important because it is the nearest wild country for the majority of the population.

Kinder is a remarkable place and quite testing. There is a tendency for the Welsh, Scots or Cumbrian outdoorsman to think Kinder is 'easy' as it is only half the height of our mountains and a few degrees further south. I have been scarily cold on Kinder in winter, it has claimed several lives, and if you fancy your navigational skills, the Kinder plateau in fog is a good place to humble yourself.

Chris Bonnington was once lost on Kinder Plateau, it's easily done. It's hard to believe when you are up there but I am told that there are more people live within 50 miles of Kinder than within 50 miles of Big Ben.

Seems crazy but with Birmingham, Manchester and Sheffield you have the 2nd, 3rd and 4th biggest cities then Leeds, Liverpool etc all just over an hours drive. Monday is the day to go, no idea why but if anyone is doing 3 days they always add Friday not Monday to the weekend.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE