Arctic Boots

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Hi Guys,
I am going off to a survival training 5.2.2005 and need to get better boots.
I found one which is called:

"Kamik Oslo köldkänga"

kamikoslo.jpg

that one is supposed to be warm until minus 70 degrees.??!! Well, has anyone got any experience with the boot?

thanks for all the help
cheers
Abbe

mmcniven

Forager
Nov 1, 2003
Paisley
Hi Abbe

I havent tried those exact boots but i did try a pair of sorels which look identical and they were very warm. In my experience the temperature ratings are normally very good. I have a number of different pairs of boots for cold weather use and all seem to meet their temperature rating without any problems. I did find, with the design of boot you are looking at, that there was a bit more movement of the foot inside the boot, but i doubt that would lead to blisters as the inside was very soft. It is probably worth trying on a pair if you can.
Hope this is of help

Michael

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Like mmcniven I've used a very similar boot. I found that they were very warm, (although I'm not sure they'd manage -70 they were fine at -40), but at the top of the boot they were less warm. I advise you to wear thick long johns under them. The pull closure at the top is quite good enough for snow and doesn't really let anything in. If you're going to be off the snow and on roads or rocks then I can say my boots had very poor grip. However they were not the same as yours so we can't be sure. Are you using them on snow, ice (with crampons), or for snowshoeing? :wave:

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Hi Guys,

thanks for all the help, it does help a lot to know that you guys had some good experience with similar boots. I called up the company and they told me that the minus 70 indication is a bit over the top but they are very warm until minus 40. The shop here in town told me that all the Sami reindeer herders, which are out in the woods for several days, buy and love them. That will do for me too, I am going to be out in the woods for only a week but it can easily get up to minus 40 and more.

thanks for helping
yours
Abbe

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
arctic hobo said:
Are you using them on snow, ice (with crampons), or for snowshoeing? :wave:

We are going to use the swedish army forest skiis for travel so the boots will have to fit into a binding. I will not be able to carry my snowshoes too on the trip we are not using "Pulkas" and carry everything in Rucksacks.

cheers
Abbe

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Sorry...bit off thread but is anyone else really miffed that Mukluks are now a fashion item....
I've been keen on getting a pair for a while now but I'm finding it hard to find proper ones and not just cheaply made fashion items!!!!

I have found a few good suppliers but when you do a net search there's heaps of sites in the way talking about "As worn by Kate Moss"!!!!!!

Right, rant over...... good luck on your trip Abbe :wave:

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Abbe Osram said:
We are going to use the swedish army forest skiis for travel so the boots will have to fit into a binding. I will not be able to carry my snowshoes too on the trip we are not using "Pulkas" and carry everything in Rucksacks.

cheers
Abbe

Have fun! Hope to be there if there's one next year :biggthump

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
bambodoggy said:
Sorry...bit off thread but is anyone else really miffed that Mukluks are now a fashion item....
I've been keen on getting a pair for a while now but I'm finding it hard to find proper ones and not just cheaply made fashion items!!!!

I have found a few good suppliers but when you do a net search there's heaps of sites in the way talking about "As worn by Kate Moss"!!!!!!

Right, rant over...... good luck on your trip Abbe :wave:

Hi mate,
thanks! Good Mukluks are great if you go on snowshoes, they don't slip like rubber boots, keep your feed warm because they are soft and the foot gets a massage from the ground. I have to buy some other harder boots for my skiing trip. Here is a link to good Mukluks.

http://www.mukluks.com/arctic.shtml

cheers
Abbe

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Lol...thanks Abbe....that was actually one of the better sites I found myself....nice boots on there, I'm reading (almost finished) "Paradise below Zero" at the moment and it's rekindled my interest in Classic Arctic activities. I noticed that most of the Mukluks on this site had a rubber "modern" sole on them....I want really classic ones!

Cheers for the link Bothy....but I'm no good at making stuff like Mukluks....I had a bash at a pair of moccasins from some rabbit pelts I had.....left foot was great...well, greatish.....relatively compared to the right foot.....couldn't get the right foot on and then the stitching broke and the fur fell out and the Wife hit the roof and so on....lol....
Lol...I now know the limit of my skills and am more than happy to pay somebody for a nice pair they made! :eek:):

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
bambodoggy said:
Lol...thanks Abbe....that was actually one of the better sites I found myself....nice boots on there, I'm reading (almost finished) "Paradise below Zero" at the moment and it's rekindled my interest in Classic Arctic activities. I noticed that most of the Mukluks on this site had a rubber "modern" sole on them....I want really classic ones!

Cheers for the link Bothy....but I'm no good at making stuff like Mukluks....I had a bash at a pair of moccasins from some rabbit pelts I had.....left foot was great...well, greatish.....relatively compared to the right foot.....couldn't get the right foot on and then the stitching broke and the fur fell out and the Wife hit the roof and so on....lol....
Lol...I now know the limit of my skills and am more than happy to pay somebody for a nice pair they made! :eek:):

I understand that you like the classic ones but they will break very fast without the rubber under them. Maybe Mukluks made out of moose or the skin from the legs of reindeers are strong enough to give you a strong boot.
Otherwise I doubt that you will see two winters with your classic Mukluks.
I am going to make some from reindeer soon and are looking for some moose skin to strengthen the design. When I am done with it we can test and see how good the classics are. :biggthump

cheers
Abbe

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
Abbe, Jörn makes good winter boots with felt liner but it takes some time to get them since they are handmade. You can also check out Lundhags they have boots that are made for ski´s. A cheap option could be the army´s m90 winter boot, it´s a bit bigger then a normal boot making it easy to wear several socks and it woorks with "Vita blixten" (army ski´s) or if you want something really cheap I think there is an really old army boot with felt liner that can be used with the ski´s.

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Viking said:
Abbe, Jörn makes good winter boots with felt liner but it takes some time to get them since they are handmade. You can also check out Lundhags they have boots that are made for ski´s. A cheap option could be the army´s m90 winter boot, it´s a bit bigger then a normal boot making it easy to wear several socks and it woorks with "Vita blixten" (army ski´s) or if you want something really cheap I think there is an really old army boot with felt liner that can be used with the ski´s.

Hi Viking,
don't you think that the Kamik fits to the "blixten"? Jörn and Lundhags make great boots but they are very expensive. Called up Lundhags and they make you one for 3.400 SEK while the kamik is half the price. I would like to buy the Kamik and get it on the "blixten" could I exchange the bindings if they don't fit to the kamik? Is there a binding design for normal boots or do all boots need the special cut in the heel for the binding?

thanks for helping
cheers
Abbe

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
www.mukluks.com Stegers are made in Minnesota USA. My set are moosehide bottoms with canvas uppers, a felt inner boot and sole inserts. The outer soles are a rubber compound. The key to warmth is a boot a few times larger than your normal shoe size. You need to wear a good thick pair of socks or 2-3 thinner ones. Boots that lock up your foot and ankle for support also lock up circulation. Stiffer boots are also impossible with snowshoes. The Sorel combination boot ( rubber bottom and leather upper) is a good boot, but the achilles heel in this design is leakage around the leather to rubber stitching. It can happen even with the best brands. Judy Kavanagh in Canada makes beautifull traditional mukluks to order. I'll have to find her link. It's buried in www.ragweedforge.coms links.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE