Archery quiver

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
The winter 'making' frenzy continues. This time a back quiver for my longbow. I didn't have much leather left (I never thought I'd get through it all but I did!!) but did have some canvas left and a new sewing machine..... :thinkerg:

P3220017.jpg

I failed to properly pin the bottom leather cap before sewing it on and as a result it's actually a little bit squint. You can't really see it from the photos but it bugs the heck out of me!! Saddle stitching with your hands down inside a dark tube is a great way to get cramp, especially when finding the hole to come back out... Canvas was simply sewn up one side with some crappy thread I had lying around then turned inside out. Pretty strong but not very weather proof but I suspect I'll not be longbow shooting in heavy rain.

P3220018.jpg

Brass fittings etc, the strap is a bit too long but I can always shorten it and re-dye the end. I used a huge, old, laminated map of the UK as a liner, I've seen drainpipe used etc but I thought it'd be too rigid and maybe a bit heavy so a couple of layers of this all taped together and it's nice and semi rigid. The pepperpot top cap was taken from an something from the Mary Rose, thought it was a good idea so 'reused' it...

P3220019.jpg

Not actually convinced about the merits of a back quiver, have trouble getting to the arrows but maybe need to practice more!! :lmao:

Cheers,

Alan

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
You get used to back quivers surprisingly quickly. I struggled with mine at first but it is my first choice now.

I think an open top would be easier as trying to locate one of the small holes behind you with an arrow tip will not be easy. Plus how will you get your judo tips or blunts in ;)

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
I think an open top would be easier as trying to locate one of the small holes behind you with an arrow tip will not be easy. Plus how will you get your judo tips or blunts in ;)

See you've made the assumption again that I thought it through!! :rolleyes: :togo: It's actually ok to put the arrows back in and I don't have any blunts or judo tips (yet) but should the time come, I can always make the holes bigger :D

Cheers,

Alan

Cromm

Mar 15, 2009
Debenham,Suffolk.
Nice looking and it would be easy to make it into a hip quiver. I am like a dog after his tail when I try to use a back quiver.
021-2.jpg

This is my fav type of quiver;
024.jpg

022.jpg

And this is a new idea I am working on;
QuiverBag001.jpg

QuiverBag012.jpg

Thanks for your time.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Cracking job :) I know its an old thread but I am looking for inspiration for my next project and this has helped.

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
A very old thread indeed, but one of several on the subject that I'm using to help me design my own quiver.

I bought a new bow recently. When my daughter was over in the UK visiting my mum, I asked her to bring over my old quiver, which she did; it's a plastic, fake-leather field quiver by Severn Products, a lot like the shape of a quiver in another thread. (I must have bought it from Sugg's Sports at the same time as my bow).

My new quiver will have plastic tube inserts, a raised floor, a pocket, a lid to keep out the rain, and D-ring attachment points, so that I can vary the carry position (hip or back), height and angle (target style, canted forwards, or field style, canted backwards) easily. The idea is also to design it so that it can work equally well for a right-handed as for a left-handed archer.

Reactions: John Fenna

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE