Anyone using a TV as a Monitor?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wheelnut

Tenderfoot
Dec 14, 2012
UK
I used to have 2 x 22" inch monitors side by side to be able to have all the programs I use on the go at once, now I have an old 42" AOC, resolution is set at 1920 x 1080.
It's on a normal desk so probably too close really usually between 600 and 800mm from screen to eye.
It is quite bright as well.

hughlle1

Nomad
Nov 4, 2015
London
I've used a tv for a monitor for over a decade now without issue. Until now. My 42" died, so went with a 40" bravia, and i don't know if it is the 2" difference, or windows 10, but I've recently been encountering a lot of eye strain and problems focusing (sat just under 2m away) and have had to revert to a normal desk setup for wordy sites.

Also bear in mind that if you go for something beyond 1080p, a lot of older applications have not been updated to support high DPI displays, and everything will be tiny and near impossible to use. At 3m on a 40" display, I've had to bump the font size and scaling to max just to be able to read windows file/folder names without squiting or leaning forward a foot. For reference, I'm not even 30, and last I checked, my vision was much better than 20/20

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Cool, good to know, thanks for the information. I'll wall mount it and then put myself at whatever distance works best as I'll still be in my office so I'm not dictated by anything or anyone else.

My 27" imac has a great screen, so I know it needs to be a good move or i'll regret it, but it will free up space in the office and i'll get more use out of my macbook by using that as my main machine...

Thanks all :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE