Anyone own and good with a welder

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

scorpion

Tenderfoot
Jul 27, 2009
Manchester
I need someone to do a bit of unusual welding for me, I have a British army survival knife or MOD survival knife whatever you want to call it anyway the guard is welded on and somehow one of the welds has broke so I just need someone to re weld it, anyone fancy doing it for me obviously ill pay for the postage and a small fee for the welding.

Pete

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
Got any photos of the damage? I'd probably silver solder it rather than weld it.

scorpion

Tenderfoot
Jul 27, 2009
Manchester
Come to think of it I'm pretty sure its not welded, I'm not sure how its been done though I'm not really clued up on attaching metals to one another, Ill get a picture up in a min.

brozier

Tenderfoot
Oct 9, 2012
leicestershire
Hi,

I can do Silver Soldering (Silver Brazing) with a Propane Torch but this would involve getting the whole thing up to Red Hot, and that sort of temperature may screw up any heat treatment the blade has had.

Do you know what sort of steel is used in the blade?

Cheers
Bryan

v8mule

Tenderfoot
Oct 3, 2012
wigan
Would it not be better to MIG or TIG weld it small localised heat and ya can keep the blade cool by wrapping it in a cold wet cloth

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
yep,..

a quick spot with the mig would be so local and over in a second.

any kind of brazing or soldering need the full piece up to temp,

i'd noramlly say bang it in the post and i,d sort it for you,...but i,m packed up in the middle of a house move,..

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
Take it to a local bodyshop, they will mig or braze it in two seconds!!

We have a wire fed brazer that would be perfect for it, but I'm not so close to you! any Mercedes bodyshop would have the same welder I'm sure they would do it!!

scorpion

Tenderfoot
Jul 27, 2009
Manchester
I dint know of any body shops nearby Id feel a bit of a idiot going in with a big knife anyway, sounds like mig or tig would be the way to go though so as not to mess up the heat treat

Take it to a local bodyshop, they will mig or braze it in two seconds!!

We have a wire fed brazer that would be perfect for it, but I'm not so close to you! any Mercedes bodyshop would have the same welder I'm sure they would do it!!

Imagedude

Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
You won't mess up the HT with solder, simply suspend the cutting edge in water while you heat the affected area.

brozier

Tenderfoot
Oct 9, 2012
leicestershire
I was talking about Silver-Solder (more correctly Silver-Brazing) e.g. with SilverFlo-55 which melts at 630-660 degrees C you'd need Oxy-Acetylene to get that sort of temp in a localised area...

If both parts are steel them MIG is probably the way to go - I'd offer but I only have CO2 which spatters a lot and would probably make more of a mess :(

Cheers
Bryan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE