Anyone have an Emergency Binder/'Big Book of Everything'?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Beardy

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 28, 2010
UK
Just wondering if anyone here has worked through either of these templates for 'data protection' or not, or if you have your own approach, and how you have found it has worked for you? I know it's not really bushcraft or outdoorsy, but I guess it's kind've linked to a 'be prepared' attitude (dib dib!) that I'm guessing many of you will also share.

Looking at a previous thread here ref someone's "bug out bag" show and tell, I noticed someone commenting that the 'normal' concept of getting away from a natural disaster or other situation that makes normal life untenable somewhere, by packing a rucksack full of stuff so you can supposedly go live in the woods like Rambo indefinitely, was 'disingenious' to put it at it's best. Before that, I even found a link to a website run by a bloke who escaped from hurricane Katrina, who outlined what he would have done differently with the benefit of hindsight: more outdoors big boys toys were not on the list, but a copy of all the documents and photos his family needed or wanted but lost in the flood rated highly. It's going to be a lot easier to replace most things than it is to get a replacement degree certificate or tax card or whatever sent out so you can find new work, or the insurance policy for X,Y or Z for example.

So I did some googling and found two websites:
http://emergencybinder.com/blog/ (for the actual downloads, skip the /blog/ bit)
and
http://www.erikdewey.com/bigbook.htm

All of the downloads are free and I've no link to those who made them, but both seem to be made by Americans and do seem to be quite specific to the American situation. For instance, I'm not even sure what a 401K is, let alone if I need one or should have a backup document of it. Also, the emergency binder seems to be more aimed at domestic dramas like leaking gas or where is the stopcock for the water or such, whereas the big book seems to be aimed at passing on info to those left behind when you pass on, i.e. death.

I think they probably have much of what I am looking for, but not sure how applicable all this stuff is to my situation given I'm not American and not planning for only one of those scenarios outlined above. Worse, I'm not sure if there's stuff I should be including which I'm not - it's a lot easier to leave the 401K page blank if it doesn't apply to me, than it is to avoid missing something that seems trivial now but I may later wish I had if I forget to back it up and it goes up in smoke in a house fire for example. And, much of this stuff should be useful just day to day, if I need to remember something it should all be in one place rather than all over the place!

So if anyone has their own approach (or can remember the Katrina escapee's website and his approach!) or has a few hints on what to include and how to go about it, please do share.

Cheers

Beardy

Last edited:

Red Five

Jun 3, 2011
Birmingham
I've got all my identification/ important documents in a wallet. I've saved those details + photos to a SD card as well as printing them out.

I started with my Birth Certificate, National Insurance and NHS cards/numbers, everyone has those.

Next was photographic ID, Passport, Driving Licence, Work ID.

Then Next of Kin contact details.

Last was account/policy numbers.

I've only been thinking about this because a friend lives in Toyko and I started to think "What if?"

Maggot

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
Somerset
I've got all my identification/ important documents in a wallet. I've saved those details + photos to a SD card as well as printing them out.

I started with my Birth Certificate, National Insurance and NHS cards/numbers, everyone has those.

Next was photographic ID, Passport, Driving Licence, Work ID.

Then Next of Kin contact details.

Last was account/policy numbers.

I've only been thinking about this because a friend lives in Toyko and I started to think "What if?"

Blimey be careful where you put that sd card. That's all of you on one card. Someone could get your bank account, a new passport, everything all in one go!

Take a lot of care with it.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
If you put something on SD I would make sure you have at least a 64 character password on it. I would be tempted to have portable apps on it so you can read things etc, and there is a backup program, and a password program.

The 40K thing is your pension/saving details I think.

Beardy

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 28, 2010
UK
I re-found the Katrina website I remembered from before: http://www.theplacewithnoname.com/blogs/klessons/index.html Seems to have some pretty good walk-thru's of the whole process.

Anyone have a link to said portable apps? I guess you mean you can put something like Openoffice or Abode Acrobat on the USB, so that you can open docs and print them off even if you're using someone else's computer with none of the same programmes you saved your docs in.

The whole 'keeping things locked away' thing is something I haven't really delved into yet. I hadn't thought about it since I haven't put the information all together yet. Guess I need to look into password programs and encryption, someone on another thread here mentioned something called Truecrypt, and I think my USB may have a basic password sort of thingy that can be used to lock up access to the USB as a whole too. Is that the sort of thing that is recommended? The idea of losing all personal details and the identity theft that could follow would be scary!

Ref backup programmes, do you mean something that automatically backs-up any changes to docs, files etc, I think there is something called Time Machine or Cloud that does this, but am not quite sure what it's all about. Not sure if it may be more of a vulnerability than a help really, since if it automatically backs up new stuff to my USB, what's to stop it backing up a virus or similar problem and killing my backup copy too?

AussieVic

Forager
Jan 24, 2011
Victoria, Australia
I can recommend TrueCrypt.

It has a couple of different modes of operation, but basically will allow you to store both the TrueCrypt program and the encrypted data on a single SD card, or USB drive (or any other disk). If you did store the software and data on the same device, it is more convienient, but if someone found it, they would guess that there is encrypted data on the device ...

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
IIRC there is something called Gatekeeper. Not sure if its relevant as it could just be for pc security but it is a usb drive that holds passwords, encryption and also the various firewall/security functions your PC and internet connection might require. Perhaps instead of a usb a laptop could also be a good part of emergency kit. Heavier I know but it could be more useful in the aftermath than a usb stick with nothing too stick it in.

I'd have thought in these modern times of cloud computing there would be a player in this market already. Somehow offering to store your personal info securely for you perhaps app based so they can't access the info only you but it is stored elsewhere. I know large organisations store their company information in 3rd party IT companies (often based in Chennai, India funnily enough).

Anyway just my thoughts. Never thought of this before, this thread has made me really think about things. I don't even know where my NHS number is and even my NI card is in one of a number of possible hiding places. I once put my passport in a "safe place" prior to a trip so I wouldn't forget it and promptly forgot where I'd put it (the vey next day embarrassingly enough). Cost me a lot as I had to book another flight out with another company that was a standard schedule not the original very cheap easy jet type airline ticket (£50 ticket became an extra £300+ on top of the first flight price). I guess you really need to know where the originals are and keep an emergency copy electronically. Basic organisation.

All the talk of encryption and security of this electronic file of personal information is good but where do you keep your originals?? In a drawer in some office? In a safe? In a lockable filing cabinet with the key in the lock? If the electronic version is a security rick then surely the originals are more of a risk?! I know my important documents are not secure. However the only security I rely on is if I can't find the bloody things even after several hours of looking then a burglar is less likely to find them with a quick rummage around.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
For those items which don't really need to be encrypted, send them to yourself in an email. If you have a google account then you can upload your .pdf scans or other documents to their 'docs' service. For those things you would like to be a little more secure, find a free 'rar'ing program and encrypt the files before you upload them.

If after your 'disaster' you are having trouble getting an internet connection in the refugee center or whatever, you may be able to make a phone call, in which case give a trusted relative your gmail password and tell them what bits they need to act on.

Another option would be dropbox.

As handy as it might be to have access to your insurance documents, family birth certificates, passport data etc. after a disaster, the loss of irreplacable family documents and photographs would perhaps be more of a loss, getting copies of these up to some form of online storage or on discs posted to distant relatives is also something to consider.

:)

Last edited:

AussieVic

Forager
Jan 24, 2011
Victoria, Australia
Although a laptop with the info on it is a good idea too, the benefit of a memory card or usb drive is that they are very small and light, so they can easily be carried, or concealed. Of course you would need a PC to plug them into to getthe info off them. In my opinion this is a small advantage of the usb drive, over a memory card because "every" pc has a usb port, but not all have a mem card slot.

Having said that, if you do it correctly, you can use a camera to view some documents on a memory cards. You would need to convert your documents to jpg type format (not a problem if you are scanning them anyway). So, for maximum robustness you could have your documents stored in jpg, doc and pdf formats on a mem card that you know will work on your camera and laptop. You could alos purchase a memory card-to-usb adapter so that the card could be use in a pc without a specific card slot.

Putting the docs on line is not a bat option, but you need to trust the online provider and their security. In the event of an emergency, there may not be internet access, but you can always have your mem card in your wallet.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE