Anyone Else As Sad/Organised/Bored as Me?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jinsin456

Settler
Nov 14, 2010
Maybole, Scotland
Don't know man me n Cutchy were thinkin of doin it towards the end of June and I think Jason (Jag009) was into it, just need to figure out when suits everyone cos I can get it off whenever

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
or Alt and Tab to switch to a totally different window or even, the little windows sign and "m" minimise everything ;) I think its a good idea! helps keep things organised, i just dont have the patience to set one up myself :)

Jinsin456

Settler
Nov 14, 2010
Maybole, Scotland
I got a pm and made a blank one to send so if anybody wants a copy pm me your email address and you will receive a blank form with formulas and formatting to get you on your way :lol:

resnikov

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Have now created my own version which creates a new sheet for each time you camp out and shows you how have you pack was.
Will post a link to it when I get home can upload it to some where or if your are desperate for it I can email it now. beware it does use VB script in it so you mileage may very.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Ctrl + tab are your friend !!!!!!

Isn't That Alt tab to switch to other programs? The start button and M minimises eveything. Or start button and L locks your computer. I use that a lot and usually follow it with starting to get out of my chair to go somewhere. If you can't think of somewhere legitimate sounding there is always the toilet.

In fact there are a whole lot of shortcut keys using the Start button and something else. Just try to find them all next time you are bored. Only don't leave anything important open when you do!! :D

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
...or block the fan vent!

Twenty years of IT is enough for anyone.

The sign of a true MS Office geek by the way is when you know how to have more than three conditions in conditional formatting :)

Red

You've just given me something to do when I have caught up tomorrow. Three conditions in conditional formatting? Something new to learn in excel. Happy days! Can you do more than three?? A challenge! :D

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Jinsin - can you send a blank copy so I don't have to do one? I could send you a paper list by post of what I have so you can enter them on and find the weights out for me since I don't have accurate digital scales.

Or I could sort it out for myself and create my own spreadsheet.

Has anyone done an Access Database version? You can then just set out a report thing. I think you can get it to work out the best combination of kit for you with a clever set of formulae and some kind of scoring for each gear. Then you can turn it into a graphical user interface thingy so you just have a set of buttons and data entry windows to program the type of trip you are going on, what time of year and to where. You could even score the area according to likely weather conditions, terrain, amount of paths and public transport to get there plus a thousand other criteria.

I do think a good database can be used to create a much more comprehensive record of your gear and trips. Of course I am no expert as it is about 17 years since I last made my own database up. Got people to do that.

I'm a spreadsheet man myself.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Just thought that this would take me a seriously long time to do for myself. For a start I had a big tidy up end of last year so I no longer know where my gear is. Seriously I put stuff away. I am totally at a loss where it all is now. I found my tarp though, I tripped over it and kinda hurt myself when I landed so I know where it is now. Exactly where it landed after tripping over it!!

I used to have a good method of being organised for a trip. When I got back from every trip I would dump it in my front room (dining room). Then when I needed any of the gear I would get it. Then when back again would dump it somewhere else in that room. If it wasn't in that room dumped it would be I my living room or spare room or study or kitchen or main bedroom or hallway or in my car. Anyway the more some gear got used the nearer it would be to the door. That makes for very fast packing. I start in my room upstairs putting the sleeping quilt, mat and tarp in the sack then work my way to the door filling the sack up with gear in the order I need access. Then a quick dash to the kitchen for the food and drinks bladder and I'm off.

Now I have gotten all tidy and "organised" I am stuffed as to where anything is.

I think the spreadsheet would need a couple of cells listing likely storage places too.

Also do I really want to know exactly what gear I have as that could lead to me knowing exactly what I have spent on said gear. I really don't want to know that I could be mortgage free if I never got into gear. You see you never thought about these things. Your organisation could have inspired me to follow suit leading to despair at the money spent and depression. Which would lead to more trips out to cheer myself out. Which means more gear will be needed. Which goes onto the spreadsheet. Which then gets costed and we are back at the beginning again.

Sorry its been a long day and I am all caffeined out so typing drivel. Off home for the only antidote to work and caffeine... ALCOHOL!! :D

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
Yep,

got a little spreadsheet going on, recording weights, different stuff for different activities etc. mines a bit basic but thought it would highlight where to save weight/ whats unnecessary to take etc.

And I thought it was only me who was taking it WAY too far......

[same thing about the time at work too...]

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
This tread prompted me to do a basic kit/food/needed list for an up and coming event... Looking at it now, there's no way whatsover i would have remembered everything!

Excell has its place :)

al.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE