Anyone Else As Sad/Organised/Bored as Me?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
newforestnavigation.co.uk
Great. I use an iphone app called HandBase; it's a database in your pocket and helps me to plan trip and expeditions. I can list all my equipment, tick items off and it will even tell me how much fuel to pack.
Just a sophisticated 'back of envelope' really.

Nigel

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
...or block the fan vent!

Twenty years of IT is enough for anyone.

The sign of a true MS Office geek by the way is when you know how to have more than three conditions in conditional formatting :)

If I wanted a gherkin in my burger I would have bleeding well asked for it to come with a side order of pickled sea slug.

Red

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Computers and all their bits and bobs are the oposite of what Bushcraft is for me (apart from this forum of course :D)
My 1st career was in computers - I lasted 12months before I ran away screaming...
I have been involved in the outdoors ever since.
My packing lists are all in my head or on scraps of paper and I devide things into "heavy" and "light" for their jobs and carry what I think is right for the job in hand,
I aint dead yet nor buried in computer paperwork....
What is the opposite to "anal" in regards to packing lists.....?

Not that I would decry anyone having fun by hunching over a computer trying to sort their packing routine - whatever floats your boat! :D

E

ex member coconino

I have a basic list, but I seldom refer to it. I was just listening to a radio programme about a technique for memorising lists, called the Memory Palace (or Roman Rooms), where each item on the list is pictured in the mind as being in a particular place in an imaginary palace. I practice something similar in that I imagine my rucksack and what goes in each pocket, then I imagine my camp and what goes where and what I'll need. Of course it helps that the list is small and mostly pretty obvious!

Jinsin456

Settler
Nov 14, 2010
Maybole, Scotland
Its what I do when I'm stuck at work. Cannot do much else bushcrafty in the office.

That's basically what I do then if I have some spare time at home it keeps me off Woodlore and eBay so therfore saves me a good bit of cash.

Had a few good ideas today already especially the weights and records of kit taken as this can be compared until the most lean form of kit is found and I only take what I need. 'Car camping' for me is about taking everything and being as comfortable as I possibly can, if it means walking to and from the car a few times for luxury then so be it. Walking camping i don't like to carry anything in my hands so it must all go in the rucksack. Finally the bothy is usually about a mile to three mile walk so certain luxuries can be carried but ideally want to do it all in one go.

One of the main reasons I am doing this is a kind of traning for the West Highland Way, so that I only take what I USE and will now be able to play weith weight etc to get the perfect loadout :D

tups93

Apr 5, 2011
Saltcoats
When you planning on doing the West Highland Way?

Just remember packing for the that your looking at a good few days walking and camping or B&Bs, so you wonna get this list bang on before you set off.

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
You could put the different types of camping into tabs then produce pivot tables summarising the gear, you could even mix and match or design a database with drop downs etc. Nice work, not touched a spreadsheet in 12 months or more since changing roles.

Eragon21

May 30, 2009
Aberdare
I like the idea of the spreadsheet might set one up myself this weekend - shouldn't take too long as I use spreadsheets in work all the time, I don't expect it to be as complicated as those though. I will add weights and volume when known etc and split out kit required for number of nights out/temperatures etc.

Jinsin456

Settler
Nov 14, 2010
Maybole, Scotland
When you planning on doing the West Highland Way?

Just remember packing for the that your looking at a good few days walking and camping or B&Bs, so you wonna get this list bang on before you set off.

Thinking of doing it in June over 7 or 8 days, plan to camp every night and just resupply along the way so will only need basic kit.

U fancy trying it?

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Somewhere there is a Scout Group crying out for a Quartermaster like you:):lmao:

We use groundsheets, not spreadsheets...better waterproofing....
The thought of getting Ollie to develop a sheet like that is great...it would then be another thing for me to ignore and continue "shooting from the hip"...sorry ollie, just kiddin' :rolleyes:

Oct 5, 2009
Sheffield
You could put the different types of camping into tabs then produce pivot tables summarising the gear, you could even mix and match or design a database with drop downs etc. Nice work, not touched a spreadsheet in 12 months or more since changing roles.

No way is a simple spreadsheet up to this kind of task. We need a full blown data warehouse to track all the variables and a team of analysts to report the trends between pack weight, comfort and whiskey consumption. Don't worry chaps, I'll have it sorted in no time.

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
No way is a simple spreadsheet up to this kind of task. We need a full blown data warehouse to track all the variables and a team of analysts to report the trends between pack weight, comfort and whiskey consumption. Don't worry chaps, I'll have it sorted in no time.

Dan,
I think we need to call NASA up to help out? ;)

E

ex member coconino

Dan,
I think we need to call NASA up to help out? ;)

Seriously, there is a whole Nasa team dedicated to tracking where items are stowed on the space station, and much of the activity during shuttle docked missions to the ISS is dedicated to simply transferring and stowing stuff.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE