Anybody Famous For Anything?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I'd only be a "party pooper" if I was equating everyone in here to the desperate people about which I wrote in that post, but I'm not. The majority of you have your time in the spotlight for good reason.

I meant it was a light hearted thread where folks were comparing tenuous moments in the spotlight.

Banter.

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Bit more name dropping banter then.

After the Brighton bombing, Norman Tebbit moved to an old mill house about a mile up the road from my farmhouse, one night after the pub had shut i parked my truck up a small track nearby, so as i could chat to a young lady, who i was giving a lift home to(the scenic route)

It was all going swimmingly, when all of a sudden a man in a suit with a very powerful torch and a gun! Tapped on my window, and asked me who i was and what i was doing, i don't mind telling you i was a little scared! I answered his questions, then another man with a gun! checked me out by radio, i was asked politely to go home and not to use that lane for chatting in future!

I had just changed my truck, so my registration number did not correspond to me, during crossover of log book!

Pass the brown cords moment!

Ivan...

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
This is a bit tenuous but at various times on my business travels I have been on the same flight as:

Esther Rantzen - She was going to Warsaw to film a bit for "Who Do You Think You Are?"

Jamie Redknapp and Dan Snow - I was behind Dan at passport control; he is a huge guy!

Patsy Kensit - Going to Milan

I also bumped into Billy Connelly at the baggage reclaim at the old Heathrow T1

Aug 4, 2013
Berkshire
As a child I won a fancy dress competition judged by Jack Hargeaves who many regard as a great countryman. I’ve actually blogged about it here - my old man would have left the last few syllables off of that description.

The old man also used to fix Douglas Bader’s Jag and I went with Dad one time to his house where we had to get the thing started - he had a Spitfire instead of a leaping cat on the grill. He was very appreciative and as a ten-year old who was really interested in the Battle of Britain meeting him was awesome.

Downhill from there I’m afraid, as an adult one of my few “claim’s to fame” is having Diarmuid Gavin in my living room whilst I was on the toilet. They wanted me to take part in a TV programme and turfed up at the front door (whilst I was on the “dunny”) with a camera and all that. They were not happy when I said no on film. They had already lied to me once and I had no intention of spending a lot of my money to make a BBC programme.

TV people are utterly not to be trusted BTW. Ever. Diarmuid was charming though.

Aug 4, 2013
Berkshire
Thanks. The Old Man used to be pretty good value once he started ranting.

Another Dougals Bader tale - Dad came home one day really chuffed because DB had called in at his workshop. The Old Man made him a cup of tea and had to apologise as there was no spoon to stir it. "I usually use a screwdriver" said my Dad wiping the grease off one and stirring his own cup. "Good Idea" said Sir Douglas doing the same . My father loved him for that - no airs, no graces. Mum was mortified.

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
During my dads national service he was a chef in the RAF based somewhere in England . After the air field Marshall found out my dad was a baker he was posted to work in his house to as his personal chef/baker . There was a string of hi ranking officers round for dinner parties including my dads claim to fame cooking for Douglas Bader.

years later Robbie Coltrane was a regular when he stayed in Edinburgh as was big John Duncan from the exploited . Two gentlemen that could eat some !

Craig. .......

Last edited:

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
I met Phil Harding (God arrrr!) at an Archaeology conference and had quite a chat with him about flint knapping. He seemed quite keen to demolish the buffet as we spoke!
Tidied up after Phil at our Living History display demonstrations at the Durrington Walls excavations. Collected all his flint bits on a groundsheet which was taken away by a potter to experiment with flint inclusions in his pottery. I got into trouble from the owner of the now missing groundsheet.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Myra Hindley tried to entice my wife into a car in Hyde with some sweets when she was a kid........

And to round out the Hyde connection, Harold Shipman was my monther-in-law's doctor.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I grew up on the same road as a girl who performs on the west end , had parts written for her in some too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE