Any men on TRT ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
You can do too much research and make yourself worry about nothing.
I'm not trying tell you that women get it worse (though they do :) ) but I believe in growing old gracefully and that does not mean not trying to keep going and be as fit as possible or not look after yourself. Or worry yourself about it. You could get run over and killed tomorrow and then what was it all about?
But just that you don't have to worry about that sort of thing for a long time yet.
Like I said if you keep fit and active and eat properly you should be fine for another 30 or 40 years yet..... covid permitting!
Once the mind starts dwelling on this sort of thing... it's all downhill! :)
Nature knows best! But you can help it along with a good diet and moderate fitness.
Even superfit athletes can drop dead in the middle of a marathon or football match. Just accept gracefully the life you have. Cherish every moment doing what you can to make life good for others and you'll live for ever.

Where have I said or inferred I'm worried? :)

Its not for you. I understand.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Actually, I do know someone who did. He was a manager at work, and a considerable jerk. It seemed to make him worse ... more aggressive and self certain ... though that might just have been because, coincidentally and unfortunately, I got to know him quite a bit better over time. He got another job and I didn't see him again, so I didn't have a chance to observe how the treatment developed.

Reactions: TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I'm not trying tell you that women get it worse (though they do :) )

That would probably explain why healthcare funding is far more skewed /available for Women than Men then.

I always wondered the reason for that , must admit I came to another conclusion in my head but I'm glad I've been put straight now.

:emoji_thumbsup:

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Sorry, took you literally!

I self identify as in my mid-thirties in my dreams - then I catch a glimpse of myself in a window and see a completely different person :)

But open question , have you taken active steps ( restrictions or activities ) to change that? I know the march of time is inevitable but research and evidence shows that there are ways to slow the rate of , lets just call it decay shall we. :)

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
But open question , have you taken active steps ( restrictions or activities ) to change that? I know the march of time is inevitable but research and evidence shows that there are ways to slow the rate of , lets just call it decay shall we. :)

To be honest, for my age, I'm a pretty healthy person; I'm not on any long-term medication. True, aches and pains take longer to heal but in my twenties and thirties I was probably in more pain on most days from rugby injuries. Tendon strain is the worst enemy and to try and keep that to a minimum I have maintained my Taekwondo stretching but it doesn't prevent all of it especially when I'm working in the wood on my own and trying to do stuff that really needs two people :). I recently did a lot of reading about a possible association between arthritis and gluten (trying to stay away from the snake-oil vendors) and I've been gluten free for about 3 months now - the jury is still out :)

Of course, we are not designed to last more than 40 years anyway but we can do stuff that makes ageing less debilitating IMO. Having been someone that trained twice a week and then played rugby every Saturday or trained for athletics during the summer by running miles and doing some strenuous exercising, I am now of the belief that high levels of physical exercise (endurance almost) is actually bad for you. I am still suffering from rugby injuries. Keeping all the muscles groups exercised gently, and more importantly, keeping joint flexibility by stretching, and maintaining a sensible cardiovascular capability is my goal these days rather than out and out 'fitness'. And, of course, weight - I've got my BMI down to just below 25 and I'm aiming for nearer 20. I know people who complain about getting old and want 'cures' that are over 20 stone and with a BMI in the high thirties - really? they just need to cut the beer out :) (actually, I know one doctor in that category too!).

John Fenna's the man to tell us about that though; I think he would claim his health has been transformed by losing a lot of weight.

I'm not implying anything you understand :)

Last edited:

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Sorry Teedee, not tried, not heard of it, but have heard plenty of men talk about the benefits, from releasing testosterone, of weight training and squats.

Some time ago I saw a couple of interesting videos about staying healthy and flexible in 40s, they specifically mentioned the problem of balancing Omega fatty acids in diet, that modern diets tend to be high in Omega 6 which promotes inflammation. The videos were not from your typical health/body builder source, but from a podcast about bow hunting. The guys there want fitness and flexibility for safety in remote wild places, and to be able to hike with loads in the hills, so not so different from what we are all interested in.

(there are a lot of other interesting videos in on the channel, everything from photography stuff to tents, shelters, stoves, high quality hiking food...)

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
To be honest, for my age, I'm a pretty healthy person; I'm not on any long-term medication. True, aches and pains take longer to heal but in my twenties and thirties I was probably in more pain on most days from rugby injuries. Tendon strain is the worst enemy and to try and keep that to a minimum I have maintained my Taekwondo stretching but it doesn't prevent all of it especially when I'm working in the wood on my own and trying to do stuff that really needs two people :). I recently did a lot of reading about a possible association between arthritis and gluten (trying to stay away from the snake-oil vendors) and I've been gluten free for about 3 months now - the jury is still out :)

Of course, we are not designed to last more than 40 years anyway but we can do stuff that makes ageing less debilitating IMO. Having been someone that trained twice a week and then played rugby every Saturday or trained for athletics during the summer by running miles and doing some strenuous exercising, I am now of the belief that high levels of physical exercise (endurance almost) is actually bad for you. I am still suffering from rugby injuries. Keeping all the muscles groups exercised gently, and more importantly, keeping joint flexibility by stretching, and maintaining a sensible cardiovascular capability is my goal these days rather than out and out 'fitness'. And, of course, weight - I've got my BMI down to just below 25 and I'm aiming for nearer 20. I know people who complain about getting old and want 'cures' that are over 20 stone and with a BMI in the high thirties - really? they just need to cut the beer out :) (actually, I know one doctor in that category too!).

John Fenna's the man to tell us about that though; I think he would claim his health has been transformed by losing a lot of weight.

I'm not implying anything you understand :)

I agree that too much joint impact aerobics are NOT good beyond a certain point - that point being to help increase calcium take up in bone structure and to give the Cardio Vascular system a sufficient Tickle.
I used to run Half marathons , and was reasonably good - but I don't think extensive running is a great choice long term for longevity of health. You only have SO many miles in your knees.

That being said , certain ingested compounds can lessen impact injuries , but I've seen too many super gaunt skeletal ultra distance runners to be convinced its great.

As they say , Health and Performance are NOT the same.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Sorry Teedee, not tried, not heard of it, but have heard plenty of men talk about the benefits, from releasing testosterone, of weight training and squats.

Some time ago I saw a couple of interesting videos about staying healthy and flexible in 40s, they specifically mentioned the problem of balancing Omega fatty acids in diet, that modern diets tend to be high in Omega 6 which promotes inflammation. The videos were not from your typical health/body builder source, but from a podcast about bow hunting. The guys there want fitness and flexibility for safety in remote wild places, and to be able to hike with loads in the hills, so not so different from what we are all interested in.

(there are a lot of other interesting videos in on the channel, everything from photography stuff to tents, shelters, stoves, high quality hiking food...)

Yes, High rep Squats , Deadlifts , Hill sprints , Tyre Sprints all have a benefit to T production and HGH.

As does fasting and cold water exposure.

Cholesterol is the precursor to healthy Testosterone production so a diet rich in that with other cross spectrum nutrients is important whilst avoiding things like Soy which have an estrogen enhancing effect.

Reactions: CLEM

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
I am somewhat farther down the road than you. Some 15 years ago when the slide downwards was obvious I made a plan of retaining as much as possible. No marathons but long distance walking with load in reasonable amounts seems not to be bad. I gave up on longer sustained high energy performance but I try to retain and retrain as much as possible for the 3 min one. Speed and power but not as in weight lifting but as in Karate.

So far so god. Trying to retain vitamin, trace mineral and micronutrient balance. Trying to retain BMI under 24 (success so far). One acquaintance who has tried most everything recommended EAA (Essential Amino Acids) if one does not want to use hormones. I am using that on and off, so far I would say it is a mixture certainly worth it's price.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Eyesight is one of the worst though; I'm tired of taking glasses on and off depending on what I'm doing. I first went to an optician at the age of 46. He put a rule against my nose and then asked me to tell him when I could read the text as he slid it further away - he looked at the rule and proclaimed 'you're 46 give or take a year and will need reading glasses'!

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
I'm 79 next month and still fairly fit so I must have been doing something right since I was your age. However, I'd agree that the man who sys he can still do at 80 what he used to do at 40 couldn't have done much at 40.

I had to start wearing glasses for the first time when I was in my mid 40s like my father did and both my boys had to do the same- (younger son is 50 next week). I was diagnosed with hypertension some years ago (thanks Mum and Dad for the genetic disposition), but this is controlled by medication. Apart from a few teeth, I still have all the bits I started out with. The hearing is helped by aids and the sight of one eye is playing up and being monitored. I am a bit overweight as I don't swim and walk as I used to and it is a long time since I ran a half marathon,

.I have had annual medical check ups for nearly 40 years, eat a Mediterranean diet, don't smoke, drink two bottles of red wine a week and Madame has no complaints other than that I might be a bit too demanding.

Madame, who is now 80, thinks you might be looking in the wrong place for the Fountain of Youth. She has asked me to tell you that she was prescribed HRT some 40 years ago when it was a fairly new idea, but got herself taken off it because of the potential side effects, which included an increased susceptibility to cancer. She fears that the treatment you are asking about, especially if it is new and American, may be being pushed for the wrong reasons with profit rather than health the main objective and where a ready market of men made insecure by media promotion of unrealistic expectations perpetual youth is waiting to be exploited.

Silverclaws2

Nomad
Dec 30, 2019
Devon
Sorry SilverClaws, just want to clarify - did you leave out 'KNOW' in your sentence.?

Yes for it seems I did, for such to be common with autism and me., But yes I do know a lot of folk who are on TRT but they're taking it for a little known but relatively common condition called Klinefelter Syndrome for which TRT is specified. To have heard all the stories concerning it from pure delight to abject horror for the problem with all these medications is that ' what it says on the tin ' as being what it should do according to the salesman's hype and it does have to be understood the testosterone industry is worth three billion USD per year, doesn't account for the variability within humans for no two of us are exactly alike.

Silverclaws2

Nomad
Dec 30, 2019
Devon
Eyesight is one of the worst though; I'm tired of taking glasses on and off depending on what I'm doing. I first went to an optician at the age of 46. He put a rule against my nose and then asked me to tell him when I could read the text as he slid it further away - he looked at the rule and proclaimed 'you're 46 give or take a year and will need reading glasses'!
Myself also for my close working eyesight dropped off suddenly at age 50 for myself fed up with what you mention as having to put on and take off glasses all the time, to have got well fed up with that to know I have limited myself because of, have a new eye test next week where I will be looking to get fitted for varifocals.

Silverclaws2

Nomad
Dec 30, 2019
Devon
But if one is considering using testo, do yourself a favour, go and look for all the negative experiences of folk using it to get a better picture. Whereas if you don't find any negative experiences understand something is amiss for sure there are negative experiences they're just 'not welcome' for users to be most often blamed before the drug ever is, for there is something 'cultural' attached to this drug that it seems must never be questioned.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
But if one is considering using testo, do yourself a favour, go and look for all the negative experiences of folk using it to get a better picture. Whereas if you don't find any negative experiences understand something is amiss for sure there are negative experiences they're just 'not welcome' for users to be most often blamed before the drug ever is, for there is something 'cultural' attached to this drug that it seems must never be questioned.

Thats what I'm trying to do.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
The problem with exogenous T is that your body responds by down-regulating T production so you may get stuck on it.

Have you seen the stuff Tim Ferris did to raise T levels naturally? https://brainflow.co/index.php/2019...terone-the-4-hour-body-testosterone-protocol/

I have read into the dependency on exogenous T , but the research also seems to suggest its temporary situation as natural T production does come back online after some down time.

I listen to a lot of Tim Ferris - Love that he is prepared to look at things empirically and with fresh eyes.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE