Any guesses

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
I think its a little to long for a stoat I may be wrong, it looks more like polecat/ferret or mink it would help to see a extended trail that way you get to see the way it moves which would make it a little easier to ID

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
I think its a little to long for a stoat I may be wrong, it looks more like polecat/ferret or mink it would help to see a extended trail that way you get to see the way it moves which would make it a little easier to ID

Had a look through my book its not mink wrong shape sorry

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
If mink are bigger than stoats then what I saw must have been full grown, always pictured stoats as the larger. It had a more conical face(ferrety but more so) than mink......

......we could probably run a thread on what coin that is:D . The shadow and focal depth make it look deeper than a 5p and it has a duller patina....
I was going on it being a pound coin.

R Doull

Tenderfoot
Aug 23, 2006
Scotland
ok.. before I start.. I'm a total novice on this.. but just had a look through a couple of the books I have.. the size and shape of both prints look just like that of a Squirrel.. now I know it's not on the same track..

to get this I scaled the pound coin and used that to get the measuments of the print.. then looking through the books I have I was able to eliminate all the prints that were either too big or too small.. also those of the wrong shape.. all I was left with was Squirrel..

but like I say.. I'm a total Novice on this.. so I could be totally Wrong.. lol

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I assumed it was a pound coin, which is what I based my otter guess at.

It is slightly small so I would concur with the young otter theory.

I think the long track is a fore foot and the shorter track is a hind foot.

Not sure about the possible other track.

The fact that stoats are in the area is a factor but it looks too big and narrow to be a stoat to me.

(Pine marten possibly? couldn't be a pole cat could it?)

morch

Native
May 19, 2005
Darlington
Not that it'll help with the id, but i have only seen stoats here, although others have told me there are mink too, just i've not seen them.

It gives a great excuse to have another get together soon though doesn't it, to try to confirm what it is :D

Dave

Rhoda

Nomad
May 2, 2004
Cornwall
www.worldwild.co.uk
I'm pretty sure it's not mink from the shape, it could be young otter but usually the toes of an otter track are spaced a little further apart - more splayed. I haven't seen many juvenile otter tracks though so obviously with it being lighter than the adult the tracks could appear narrower....
That settles it, I'm just going to have to come all the way from Cornwall to have a look around!:D
Any spraint in the area?

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
here are some t`internet pictures....

Otter
otter2.jpg

ferret (it doesnt seem to have stoat or polecat)
co001cos.jpg

grey squirrel

SquirrelTrack2.JPG

Are there any baby otters at this time of year?

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Otters breed year round here in the south, not sure if it is the same deal in colder climes. Juveniles do stay with their mother for about a year though....

Not sure about breeding up here,but they are prevelant,more so in recent years.
In fact i've seen more otter than mink in the past couple of years,not including 3 roadkills nearby.

Rhoda

Nomad
May 2, 2004
Cornwall
www.worldwild.co.uk
They are on the increase down here too, at least they were last time I surveyed, I hear that it is still the case... might be time for another survey! I love wading up rivers looking for them.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE