Any Christmas Whiskey deals in the shops yet?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Only had one so far...it was okay....but pricey for what it was. I thought the Japanese ones better - but again, I could get better Scotch for the money. I hope they improve in both quality and value over time - competition is good. There are some stunning Irish malt whiskeys out there as the main competition I think (my mate goes wappy for Tyrconnel and I must say its a tidy drop)

Be fun to try buddy - but duty and tax would have to be paid on receipt - which would make for a very expensive bottle of whiskey :(

To be fair though nothing I have tried (including a few moonshines) comes close to Islay Whisky - smooth, smoky, salty, seaweedy goodness :)

From the sounds of posts in this thread I need to find some Islay Whisky to consume. Now to see if any of the stores here sell any and what kind of premium they'll charge for it. :)

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
In theory its due on booze, but I suspect it depends on what you list the value and contents as :) Feel free to test it by sending me packets of exotic booze with a variety of labels!

I wonder how different it is from our importation laws (regarding customs & dties) It's been ages since I did international travel, but back then, importation duties were only were only due if you exceeded a certain amount. It might be possible your importation duties also allow a small exception. If memory serves, those amounts here were as follows:

-1 quart (or 1 liter) of hard spirits
-4 quarts (or 4 liters) of still table wine
-1 quart (or 1 liter of sparlking wine
- a larger amount of beer but my memory is vaguer on that. I believ it was 1-5 gallons though.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
There is a "duty free" element for travellers santaman - I don't know if it applies to parcels though?

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
From the sounds of posts in this thread I need to find some Islay Whisky to consume. Now to see if any of the stores here sell any and what kind of premium they'll charge for it. :)

They are certainly out there my friend

http://www.parkaveliquor.com/shop/109/scotch-whisky/islay/islay

I can make suggestions if you like - I can pretty much guarantee a taste sensation if you have never tried an Islay malt :). Were you but closer you could sit with Dave and I in the "brew house" (man cave) and wake up in 2014!

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
There is a "duty free" element for travellers santaman - I don't know if it applies to parcels though?

To be honest, I don't know if they aplly coming this way either. Really I was just fishing for reasons the ex GF wasn't charged duties.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
You don't get charged VAT and stuff if its under £18 value. I'm not sure if spirits fit in that category though - send me a free bottle and we'll test it if you like?

No?

Rats!

They are certainly out there my friend

http://www.parkaveliquor.com/shop/109/scotch-whisky/islay/islay

I can make suggestions if you like - I can pretty much guarantee a taste sensation if you have never tried an Islay malt :). Were you but closer you could sit with Dave and I in the "brew house" (man cave) and wake up in 2014!

Now that would be a good treat. I could see it now when my wife asks me where have you been, and I tell her I spent a little more than fortnight in the "brewhouse". :headbang::1244:

Of course, if I were closer.... (why couldn't we have got stationed in England after Germany, lol). :)

I'll check the class six on base, or the "big" liquor shop about 20 minutes away - if they don't have any, I'll look into ordering some (thanks for link).

You don't get charged VAT and stuff if its under £18 value. I'm not sure if spirits fit in that category though - send me a free bottle and we'll test it if you like?

No?

Rats!

We can test it and see if you want. :) I'd have to find a good way of packaging so it didn't break in transit.

I did find this tidbit http://pe.usps.com/text/imm/fh_014.htm (it is 3. not sure why when I pasted it that it shows 1. )

1. All goods sent to the UK are liable to customs duty and Value Added Tax on importation whether or not the package is marked as a “gift.” Packages are admitted free of customs charges, however, if they meet the following conditions:
    1. Gift packages of small value provided they do not contain any tobacco goods, spirits or wine;

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida

No?

Rats!

VAT & Duties aside, postage was high on the bottles I sent her. Might be able to do a few of the sampler size bottles though (the airline sizes) if I can find some you might like. I suspect you'd rather sample out Tequilas and Rums rather than our whiskeys though.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Never been a fan of Rum weirdly - my buddy loves the stuff and buys it in but, somehow, it doesn't work for me. I do like good Tequila though - quite like the high end Rye whiskies too.

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
Kennacraig for all those folk who like a dram from Islay. Whenever am in the Ben Nevis, all the bottles on the wall makes me pause. Now if only I can taste Old Forrester I'll be content.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Never been a fan of Rum weirdly - my buddy loves the stuff and buys it in but, somehow, it doesn't work for me. I do like good Tequila though - quite like the high end Rye whiskies too.

In our house we've shifted somewhat away from beer and most grain spirits towards wine and non-grain spirits such as rum and tequila as my daughter is a celiac. However I still enjoy a whiskey on occasion.

Not sure which ones you'd consider a "high end" tequila? Like the rums, my preference is for the gold tequilas (I like Jose Quervo personally but it wouldn't be considered high end here)

Last edited:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
In our house we've shifted somewhat away from beer and most grain spirits towards wine and non-grain spirits

I'd be on the Armagnac and especially the Calvados at that point - I adore good Calvados - not been back to Normandy in a while now though :(

Never had proper Mescal - have had proper Absinthe though...interesting!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE