Any Christmas Whiskey deals in the shops yet?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Does Mescal come into that list ?

To be honest, I'm not sure if Mescal is the same plant as Blue Agave. If so, then definitely. To be legaly called Tequila in Mexico, the spirit has to be at least 51% Blue Agave. The lower end of the Jose Quervo line is 51% while the upper end of their line is 100% Blue Agave.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
After some research, apparently Mescal and Tequila are not the same.

Mescal is distilled from the maguey plant (agave americana)

whereas Tequila is distilled from the blue agave (agave tequilana)

Doen't look to be a great difference though.

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
I'd be on the Armagnac and especially the Calvados at that point - I adore good Calvados - not been back to Normandy in a while now though :(

Never had proper Mescal - have had proper Absinthe though...interesting!

Good Calvados is glorious stuff.

Strictly speaking it is not Calvados but have you tried Somerset Cider Brandy?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Looked it up - how cool is this?

somersetroyal.jpg

A bottle of ten year old Somerset cider brandy in a John Leach flask - pretty good for £55 - anyone love me?

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
Looked it up - how cool is this?

somersetroyal.jpg

A bottle of ten year old Somerset cider brandy in a John Leach flask - pretty good for £55 - anyone love me?

Trust me, it is worth the price. It has that lovely apply warmth of Calvados and it is made in England. The owner is a nice guy and very enthusiastic about his product.

I haven't had any recently but the Calvados mention in this thread has me pining for it.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Trust me, it is worth the price. It has that lovely apply warmth of Calvados and it is made in England. The owner is a nice guy and very enthusiastic about his product.

I haven't had any recently but the Calvados mention in this thread has me pining for it.

Oh - that looks good - Calvados is lovely stuff and that flask is art!

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Trust me, it is worth the price.

I'm sure, but my lovely wife recently stocked me up on Islay malt and took advantage of the Remy VSOP offer locally so I think I am out of luck :(

Unless anyone on here wants to send me one?

Anyone?

Anyone at all?

Thought not :(

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
I'm sure, but my lovely wife recently stocked me up on Islay malt and took advantage of the Remy VSOP offer locally so I think I am out of luck :(

Unless anyone on here wants to send me one?

Anyone?

Anyone at all?

Thought not :(

Remy VSOP hey?

You'll hate me but....

Have you tried Delamain VSOP or even the Pale and Dry?

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I haven't - I'm not addicted to Remy but we got a heck of a deal and its a nice every day brandy. I have a bottle of the E&J made by Ernest and Julio Gallo in California as well. I suspect it will be used as a cooking brandy or blackberry brandy but it was down to £15 in Sainsbos so worth a try.

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
I haven't - I'm not addicted to Remy but we got a heck of a deal and its a nice every day brandy. I have a bottle of the E&J made by Ernest and Julio Gallo in California as well. I suspect it will be used as a cooking brandy or blackberry brandy but it was down to £15 in Sainsbos so worth a try.

I don't drink much brandy any more either or any spirits for that matter. When I do I tend to prefer the variety of whisky. Caol Ila is certainly something I'm partial to :)

One time I do drink brandy nowadays is as a carajillo with breakfast.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I'd love to - but I'd get nothing done all day. It explains a lot about my brother though - he's been there for more than a decade!

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
I'd love to - but I'd get nothing done all day. It explains a lot about my brother though - he's been there for more than a decade!

The trick is to stop after one :)

I haven't been here that long but I've been with my Spanish SWMBO for almost 8 years so I guess something stuck.

Where in Spain is your brother?

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
It is a nice way to start the day and fairly common here. I've also seen people having a glass of wine or beer with breakfast in the morning although I'm less likely to do that.

I haven't tried brandy or a still wine at breakfst. But it is fairly common here to have a Mimosa with any celebratory brunch (sparlking wine and orange juice) Steven and I took the family (particularly the ladies) to such a brunch for this past Mothers' Day.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE