Any bush babes out there or is it just me?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

running bare

Banned
Sep 28, 2005
jarrow,tyne & wear uk
Emma said:
I refuse to be referred to as a "bushbabe"!

But I am a girl.

Anyway, does it really matter if there aren't many ladies on BCUK? So long as there are some out there doing stuff (which there evidently are) then I don't think there's anything wrong. Just take everyone here to be people, because they've all got great advice to give and gender doesn't really matter in bushcraft.

well said emma, i totally agree . bushcraft is not the preserve( if thats the right word) of a single gender. it is for all sexes and nationalities, its one of the few things that bonds peoples from all continents together, which in my book is a good thing,

i think the original post was more in the vane of user names not identifying gender so others did not realise how many members are ladies. my wife doesnt post but stick her in the wilds and shes as happy as the proverbial pig and will get her hands dirty with the best of them and at home shes the same. she can lay bricks which i cant :D

pignuts

Jun 15, 2005
well i guess i'll add my name to the ladies list....it's time to throw away this anonymity!! Both me and my partner however have the same username...That's confused things ...we are one!! We both share the bushcraft passion. The moots may be more of an indication of female participation. With the 2 moots i've attended with my partner and baby and the wilderness gatherings, i would say that many women do attend although i still find the workshops very male orientated. I wouldnt say this is strictly about the nature of the bushcraft movement, but as much about our own culture and the gendertypes which exist which both men and women fit into. Bushcraft is a levelling experience for both men and women (and children), given that we are all equal within nature!
Just as an aside it may be time to begin the first bushcraftuk personals section!!
xxsimone

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
pignuts said:
Just as an aside it may be time to begin the first bushcraftuk personals section!!
xxsimone

Oh my God...could just imagine the add's

"Yettie type chap looking for young fit female that likes long evenings under the stars and does not mind the splinters, Ray Mears lookalike preferd"

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
I mean, I like a good knife as much as the next person, but am much more interested in plants than in every detail of the newest whizzy knifesharpening set available.

That is sacrilege, how can you say that :twak:

Shiney things are much better, hmmmmmmmmmmm SHINEY things :lmao:

:27:

Emberglow

Tenderfoot
Oct 13, 2005
Bolton
Well I am certainly no bushbabe, but I am female... AND I have my own shiny things knives, axes etc and kelly kettle so I can travel and brew up :lmao:

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Mr Mears said in one of his series,cant remember which one,i think it might have been World of survival,that the best way to learn from hunter gatherer tribes was to spend time with the women. I just remember the men of the tribe laughing at him because was going off gathering with the women.

My love for the outdoors comes from my mother,she loves walking. As a kid we often went for strolls around our local park which has some great wildlife in it,so something must have struck a chord in me. Even when i was in primary school all my report cards said the same thing "Stuart would do much better with his work if he was'nt always looking out the window",well says it all.

So more women on this site can only benifit everyone.

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
Ed said:
My grounding in bushcraft as a young child came from both my mother and my grandmother, and as you say, everyone has something to contribtue regardless of gender.

Ed

i think i get it from my mum as well.. shes a great forager and if i think back far enough thats where it all started.. not sure when the knife addicition came from though ;)

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
not sure when the knife addicition came from though
That came from my mum aswell.... from what I remember she gave me a bakerlite handled butter knife.... no point, no edge .... when i was about 3-4yrs old.... I remember we made a leather belt sheath for it with my grandmother......

Ed

Iteki

Mar 5, 2006
Irish in Sweden
Nother of the female persuasion checking in.
I agree that there is very little that is gender specific with regards to bushcrafting apart from as mentioned, tool-size*, some warmth/nutritional issues and certain ummm, hygene issues.

* :naughty:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Shinken said:
That is sacrilege, how can you say that :twak:

Shiney things are much better, hmmmmmmmmmmm SHINEY things :lmao:

:27:

Shinken seeks love interest...looking for outsoors girl with own axe....please send picture (of axe) :D

Sorry Ash ;)

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
When I first started Bushcraft UK I had a forum just for the ladies but as you can probably imagine it didn't get used all that much so when we rebuilt I didn't put it back but put the comments into other forums.

I know that there's quite a few female members, some of them very highly skilled that come on here. There's more joining as well which is great. I do think that's it's bloke heavy on the site, but saying that the whole of Bushcraft is quite bloke heavy so we've probably got a good representation of both men and women.

Anyway, any female bushcrafter that wants to come on here is very welcome :D

Neanderthal

Dec 2, 2004
Cheshire
On a course a couple of years ago my wife managed fire by friction well before I did, I've been practicing, and succeeding, ever since but you can't change the facts :)
Sometimes the instructors tried to get us to compete against each other but we work too well as a team to 'bite'. But I can make better cordage. :)

However when it comes to spotting wildlife the dialog goes something like this:

Her: "Wow! Look at that fantastic bird of prey on the branch"
Me: "Err, what branch?

beamdune

Oct 14, 2005
Manchester
Me:
Female? Yes
Girl? No (too many candles on last weeks birthday cake! ;) )
Bushcrafter? Not really (well not yet) but looking forward to a Woodsmoke Trailbreaker course next weekend.
Anything else? An inability to resist a group buy.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE