answered question?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
You really have to be careful what you put on this forum. I have had a thread removed because of someone elses post on it. I was reading an interesting thread a couple of days ago about stainless vs carbon knives and it was locked for reasons I can't understand. I know that the mods do an unthanked job and a site of this size, they are needed, but they are so strict at times for reasons that are beyond me. When football refs keep blowing the whistle all the time, it winds up the players and the fans, a good ref will let the play flow and only blow the whistle when he, (she) (I have to be politicaly correct now) really needs too.............Jon

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
This is a privately owned forum.The owner and the mods appointed by him do what they think necessary.They do not have to explain themselves to anyone,at any time, for any reason.

Live with it.

hilltop

Banned
May 14, 2006
edge of the peak district
BorderReiver said:
This is a privately owned forum.The owner and the mods appointed by him do what they think necessary.They do not have to explain themselves to anyone,at any time, for any reason.

Live with it.
long live freedom of speak and the values we fight and die for,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,utrique paratus,

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You're quite right Running bare, I don't have those particular gonads :p But I would have happily closed off those links several months ago. :cussing:
It was only the incredible patience and tolerance that Tony showed that permitted the constant stream of innuendo and offence to continue without retaliation. Nothing else. He's a genuinely nice guy who believes that other people mostly are too.

It's a friendly site, we make great efforts to keep it that way, for some reason this offends some numpties :confused: Out of literally hundreds of users the number who abuse the good natured tone is miniscule; but the racket they make is disproportionate to their importance.

The incessant carping has been so far out of line, you're in another universe.

Toddy

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Freedom comes with responsibilities. :rolleyes:

We are all guests on this forum,we should behave according to the wishes of our host.You would not be welcome in my house if you started criticising the way I run my household. :p

Reactions: tomtom

Mantic

Nomad
May 9, 2006
UK
Come on guys :) If you owned the forum and ran it (all for no profit), providing a service that helps other people, wouldn't you feel that you have the right to make up the rules?

Sure, sometimes threads get closed but rarely without good reason. The mods here do a great job and yet still get a lot of flack. When are people going to realise that without the mods, there would be no site?!?!

Sometimes members start ranting or winding other members up. If this isn't held in check then it spills into other threads. Before long there are so many flames going backward and forward that the site is reduced to a worthless pile of dung.

Think of this site as the mod's house - if you're under their roof, do as they ask lest you do as you're told.

Just my opinion :)

Me? I praise the mods - they ask for so little and have given us all a great deal.

Reactions: tomtom

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
the question has been answered here

The Bushcraftuk staff does not pull threads unless it is absolutely necessary.

Sometimes threads are pulled for a few hours whilst we discuss what to do with them, but they usually come back quickly with the problem content removed if there isn’t a serious underlying problem with the whole thread.

This temporary 'down time' on problem posts allows the moderators to contact each other, refer to the rule book and come to a decision. We aren’t all sitting in one giant BCUK Headquaters remember, we are sitting at home on our computers in our own free time as volunteers (I am currently eating dinner in front of the computer away from my family because there aren’t enough moderators online at the moment)

When a problem arises we need to phone the available moderators, get together on MSN and come to a solution, this takes time and we have found it best to pull the thread down so that the problem isn’t growing whilst we try to solve it.

In some cases the only solution is to remove the entire thread, such as when we have cause believe that an adult individual might be pretending to be a 14 year old and asking questions about knives in order to trap unsuspecting members into giving inappropriate advice to a minor with the intent of bring the site into disrepute.

We deal with this sort of thing on a daily basis and all the BCUK staff give up a great deal of time in order to provide this site, with no reward other than your appreciation.

Remember when we do our job right you’ll see none of what we do, problems and irritations are tidied away before you even realise they have happened and you never know the work that went on behind the scenes to accomplish it.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
As I said in my last post spoony we don’t remove threads unless absolutely necessary

Running Bare made his feelings quite clear with his last posts.

we strongly object to people claiming we are out to make money, especially when we are not only volunteering our time to keep this site running for your benefit, but the site administration pays thousands pounds out of their own pockets in dedicated server fees and site maintenance costs in order to do so.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
I agree, the mods do a good job, that is unthanked, so I would like to thank you all for the job you do, and I mean that. What is niggling me is that so many threads and posts are moderated without an explanation, they just disappear for reasons I can't understand, like the stainless vs carbon thread the other day, Chris Claycombe shut down the thread saying this thread is going nowhere, move along folks. What does that mean ? It was a legitimate question as far as I could tell and there was only a tiny bit of good humoured banter on it and then Chris shut it, even after another mod had already posted on it saying that he enjoyed threads like it ????? I myself put up a humourous thread about ducks mating and because someone else put up the words about ducks g##g rap##g each other the whole thread was taken off instead of just the offenders post being taken off.
As a general punter who enjoys this site can I take this oppertunity to say mods, please let us know your reasons why you remove things. I know that some of you do and I often think fair enough, its just all the unexplained moderation that niggles me. Sorry to rant....................Jon

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
No attempt to accuse anyone of anything.

Fact 1: Running Bare is a Mod on B.E.S.

Fact 2: Running Bare stirs the crap on BCUK.

Fact 3: Spoony is Admin on B.E.S.

Fact 4: Spoony pops up when Running Bare is banned.

spoony

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 6, 2005
tyne and wear
www.bike2hike.co.uk
BorderReiver said:
No attempt to accuse anyone of anything.

Fact 1: Running Bare is a Mod on B.E.S.

Fact 2: Running Bare stirs the crap on BCUK.

Fact 3: Spoony is Admin on B.E.S.

Fact 4: Spoony pops up when Running Bare is banned.

Oh and this post isnt trying to stir things up is it not???

Fact 1 and 3 are correct 2 and 4 are pants,

Mantic

Nomad
May 9, 2006
UK
Perhaps the mods might consider a generic sticky thread that they can post to explaining why a thread has been removed. Might be easier than PM's.

Anyway, your call :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Okay, here's the reality check.
It's done. We've had enough of the ongoing hassle.
It stops now, and Spoony you are so close to *me* banning you it's not funny.
Rant on BES as you choose, it seems to be your preferred method of communication when all else fails.
This thread is closed and I don't think any further explanation is necessary.

Toddy

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE