An old friend

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

k975

Jan 19, 2010
Sweden
Inspired by some of the threads here, and elsewhere, I just wanted to post a tribute to one of my oldest and most faithful friends. It's not perfekt, not even wellmade or really well designed but after more than 20 years it's still the knife I reach for when going outdoors. Sure, there's been others - a LOT of others - spanning from customs to moras and also products from my own hands but they all seem to slip into oblivion after a time and my old knife surfaces again.

It was the third knife I ever made and has been with me since I was 15. It's traveled to NZ (North and South Island), England and the mountains of southern Bavaria as well as from Swedens most southern point up to above the artic circle. It's been used for batoning, carving, eating and whatever at the same time it has carved its way through a load of moose, boar, deer and lesser game as well as fish from both salt and fresh waters.

The 9,5cm long blade is made from carbon steel by Gunnar Bergström and seems to have a perfect balance between hardness and ease of sharpening for my needs. I've always wiped it with something oily when neccessary so it has developed a nice patina over the years but has never really rusted. The handle is made from moose antler, birch bark and a pice of rather plain masur birch. It's a bit blocky but fits me good enough. I've thought more than once of reprofiling it but can not bear myself to do it. I've used it so long now that any change would almost feel like commiting sacrilege. For me - maybe this is THE knife?

Mojoracinguk

Nomad
Apr 14, 2010
Hereford
20 years is long enough for me to start thinking an object has started to develop it’s own soul…..you’ve been to many places with it…it bares marks inflicted upon it….you see it not as an object but a memory of all the things you experienced together….others may not see it as anything other it’s face value… you bestow far more upon it …..and that’s what binds you together.
If it leaves part of you goes too

I love old well used tools….can you tell ;)

Mojo

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
At more than 20 years non-one can argue its now well made its abviously funtional as its youre knife of choice and for a third knife by a fifteen year old its outstanding IMO

I hope youre friendship with it continues for many years

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Thats a gerat looking knife i can see why its a favourite, not to mention its history. Give the poor old thing a fine sand, a coat of oil and a sheath polish, then enjoy her all over again.

k975

Jan 19, 2010
Sweden
Thank you for your nice words! I've put it to good use this weekend too doing a solo trip in the snow Saturday and then Sunday at the annual "Christmas tree harvest" with my family.

I think I'll have too follow dwardo's advise and bring out the linseed oil!

//K9_75

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE