An Extended Adirondack Shelter ( The Wayland Shed )

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
For some time now I have been using a square cotton tarp, set up on the diagonal, to build a simple lean to shelter for Winter use when I'm not using a hammock. This works well and has been dubbed by some as the Adirondack pitch, due to it's resemblance to the public shelters built along the famous trail there.

Wayland_Shelter-2.jpg

When using this shelter in snow conditions, I tend to attach a small extra tarp sheet on one side of the front to form an annex and reduce the spindrift that enters from that side. This also works well, but requires careful attachment to make a good seal and is prone to coming apart in strong wind.

The first time I travelled to the Norwegian Arctic in Winter I was hit by repeated thaw/freeze conditions which effectively turned this cotton tarp into a stiff unmanageable sheet of ice and canvas and adding considerably to the flight weight on the return journey.

This prompted me to use a poly builders tarp on my next trip which was so cheap that I didn't even bother flying back with it, donating it to a local camping centre in Jokkmokk instead.

Loaded_to_Leave.jpg

The background was set then for me starting to think about ways to improve this basic set up and after experimenting with some scissors, a sheet of paper and a roll of Sellotape I was ready to make this extended version of my Winter shelter that I tried out for the first time at a small meet in the Peak District.

Wayland-Shed-Cutting.jpg

The construction is made from an 18'x12' poly tarp which is a fairly standard size and requires a 6'x6' section to be cut from one corner. This section is then re-attached onto another edge to form an additional awning that can be folded down to cover the front opening if necessary, much like a traditional Baker tent.

The raw cut edges where the section was removed are taped together, leaving a small hole for a ridge line or pole at the top. This forms a much stronger version of the walled annex that I found so useful by adding a second sheet in snow conditions.

Wayland-Shed-Pitching.jpg

The seams are joined using waterproof gaffa tape, which is again cheap and easy to obtain. This is also used to re-enforce any raw cut edges, the guying and support points to reduce the risk of the tarp tearing in windy conditions.

Wayland-Shed-1.jpg

It had a fairly good testing for this weakness on the Peak District meet as I set myself up on an exposed ridge with the back of the shelter facing into the prevailing wind.

Somewhat predictably, the poly tarp was a bit noisy in the wind, hail and rain that we had that weekend but the structure remained standing and the tarp suffered no damage.

I filled in the gaps along the bottom edges with loose leaves much as I would use snow in the Arctic and this made it cosy and draft free to the extent that Rob dubbed it the “Wayland Shed”

Wayland-Shed-2.jpg

As an idea of costs the tarp was delivered for about £17 and I used a £2 roll of gaffa tape in the construction. All the cordage was stuff I had lying around and though I took the poles with me on this occasion, in most Boreal forests, finding poles suitable for the supports would not be a significant problem.

All in all, a cosy, secure shelter for around £20 can't be that bad and is easily repairable on site with a bit of gaffa tape on hand.

For trips abroad, where I often return with more than I left with, it's also not the end of the world if I do not fly home with it. There is always someone who can find a use for a spare builders tarp.

Reactions: LarryBass

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I like that a lot. A great usable Baker tent style space.

It looks as though the tarp will still function as a toboggan wrap. Any thoughts on that please Wayland?

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hehe, every-time I read of Wayland's Forge I'll be thinking of Wayland's Shed instead now. I like that, looks an idea solution at a great price so top marks to yourself.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
An elegant and cheap shelter; newcomers to the hobby would do well to use this before going on a spending spree :)

Mandos

Nomad
Jan 23, 2013
Downham market
I've been looking for yet another tent for winter but i am now considering doing this it seems K.I.S.S
Did you gaffa tape both side or just one side if that makes sense ?

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Nifty!

Presumably the ridgeline is optional, as you could peg out the two upright poles at either end of the roof "ridge" to provide adequate tension if no trees were handy?

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I've been looking for yet another tent for winter but i am now considering doing this it seems K.I.S.S
Did you gaffa tape both side or just one side if that makes sense ?

It's taped on the inside and the outside of the blue lines and the black line in the first diagram.

So yes, both sides of the material, if I understand your question correctly.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE