Am I a meanie?

Steffen

Forager
Jun 13, 2010
Norway
have to try that once, even though it doesn't sound particularly good.
i think a cup of whisky would be just as good.

thanks.

northumbrian

Settler
Dec 25, 2009
newcastle upon tyne
Not a meanie - just plain sensible!
At that price you should not add anything to the whisky - not even ice or water!
If god had wanted whisky to be a weak and watery brew he would not have made it of alcohol!
Buy some coloured rubbing alcohol such as Bells if you want to make toddies!
The woman is really ill if she expected you to use GOOD whisky in a toddy - get her to hospital fast, this kind of delirium only comes with severe illness!

HERE ! HERE ! LOL just give her a coffee made with baileys cream,lol

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Not a meanie - just plain sensible!
At that price you should not add anything to the whisky - not even ice or water!
If god had wanted whisky to be a weak and watery brew he would not have made it of alcohol!
!

Hmmm, even the Whisky Society say that it should be let down with a splash of water (don't drown it) or at a push a single ice cube. If possible with water from where it's made. Luckily I live in a village with a decent distillery and a water bottling plant. Though another nice wee additive is to nip out, pick a couple of fresh juniper berries, crush them and place in your whisky. (Very old school trick that.)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Hmmm, even the Whisky Society say that it should be let down with a splash of water (don't drown it) or at a push a single ice cube. If possible with water from where it's made. Luckily I live in a village with a decent distillery and a water bottling plant. Though another nice wee additive is to nip out, pick a couple of fresh juniper berries, crush them and place in your whisky. (Very old school trick that.)

Ice numbs the tastebuds (which is why lager is served cold - so you cannot taste how bad it is!) water from the same spot as the whisky ... OK I give you that one .. but not tap or bottled water full of chemical addatives, please!
The juniper berries sounds interesting but has to REALY alter the flavour that I bought the whisky for in the first place.... it is used in Gin to cut the awful greasy taste of the basic product - rubbing alcohol!

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Ice numbs the tastebuds (which is why lager is served cold - so you cannot taste how bad it is!) water from the same spot as the whisky ... OK I give you that one .. but not tap or bottled water full of chemical addatives, please!
The juniper berries sounds interesting but has to REALY alter the flavour that I bought the whisky for in the first place.... it is used in Gin to cut the awful greasy taste of the basic product - rubbing alcohol!

The juniper berries are pretty mild when fresh and just crushed between the fingers, pestle and mortar dried ones and its not good in whisky. Mainly do it to sippin' whisky.

Not a massive fan of ice in whisky, but on a hot day it stops some of the lighter notes evaporating out of the glass, allowing it to warm on the tongue releases those lovely aromas and tastes.

Personally for some of the more extreme peat island malts I'd want the flavour changing, like drinking TCP.

Have you tried Penderyn? Quite a nice whiskey and there is claim that the Welsh invented the stuff in the first place.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
There's a lot of nonsense talked regarding booze, the bottom line is you've paid for it and if you want to add dry ginger ale to a single malt et al, if you like the taste, then do it and sod what 'experts' say.

With that I'm going to make a stiff pink Gin.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
There's a lot of nonsense talked regarding booze, the bottom line is you've paid for it and if you want to add dry ginger ale to a single malt et al, if you like the taste, then do it and sod what 'experts' say.

True enough!
I think the only way to make JD drinkable is to add Coke to it.... even then it aint too good ... but some folk like it!

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland

Well it is after 12, so gin time. :)

Yes you're right, if you paid do what you want to it, but like any premium product we get protective over it - I hate people digging with a knife, especially a nice one. Or if you put salt on food I've prepared for you before tasting it then I'll silently, inwardly seethe then poison you next time you're round - if there's a next time

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire

Yes you're right, if you paid do what you want to it, but like any premium product we get protective over it - I hate people digging with a knife, especially a nice one. Or if you put salt on food I've prepared for you before tasting it then I'll silently, inwardly seethe then poison you next time you're round - if there's a next time

A valid point of view too!

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales

I'm the same with table manners, I hate poor table manners, things like people holding a knife like they would a pen (if they can write that is), or picking up a glass of chilled wine by the glass bulb rather than the glass stem.

Once my daughter drops off a bottle of Angostura Bitters I can have my pink gin :)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I'm the same with table manners, I hate poor table manners, things like people holding a knife like they would a pen (if they can write that is), or picking up a glass of chilled wine by the glass bulb rather than the glass stem.

Once my daughter drops off a bottle of Angostura Bitters I can have my pink gin :)
Manners maketh man!
Too right mate!

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland

Yes the old colony of America have a habit of holding a knife like a pen and a fork like a digging stick. I say ban them from the table 'till they learn. What a lovely daughter you must have if she'd about to drop you off some bitters for your afternoon tipple. I knew there must be a point to having children.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE