Alternatives to the traditional bow?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
The Atlatl reminds me of a 'toy' I used to make as a youth. My uncle taught me how to make it, it was called a 'swiss arrow'.

It was made from a length of bamboo slightly longer than an arrow - we used to cannabalise the cheap fishing nets you could buy in seaside shops.
One end was sharpened and behind the point a few wraps of masking tape were added for weight.
A split was made in the other end with a small hole drilled at the bottom to prevent the split running all the way through the shaft.

Flights were made with cardboard, typically from a cereal box, covered in wax crayon or candlewax for waterproofing.

Just below the flights, there would be a small notch cut.

We would then take a length of string, tie a knot in one end, then wrap this around the shaft 2 or 3 times just underneath the fletching - using the knot to secure it in the notch (not tying it on, but hooking the string under the notch).

To fire, the string was pulled tight down the length of the arrow, and you would hold the arrow just behind the tip.

Bringing your hand forward in a fast snapping motion would cause the string to propel the arrow, and because the string was wrapped around, this would cause a small amount of spinning to help with trajectory.

As I remember they went very far, but I can't recall testing the accuracy of them. I imagine with practice you could maintain a certain level of accuracy.

And after writing all of that, I have found a more eloquent description on wikipedia. Typical :rolleyes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss_arrow

PatrickM

Nomad
Sep 7, 2005
Glasgow
www.backwoodsurvival.co.uk
I thought this may interest you - here are two blow-pipes made by myself.

The darts' barbed tips are made from cat food tin lids, the shaft from bamboo and the flight from lime wood, which is very light (the flights have been hollowed out.)

This is a very powerful hunting tool with accuracy up to 60 ft. The darts will penetrate up to an inch into oak from 30 ft away.

As for small game, they are more than capable of taking squirrel, pigeon or pheasant, etc without any requirement for poisons ....... or so I am told ;)

blowpipetwo003web1.jpg

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
wow :notworthy Patrick. These are gorgeous! You are an artist as well as superb craftman! How long are they? How did you get the inside bore cleaned? and what did you use to decorate these beauties? What are the blowpipes made of?

WhichDoctor

Nomad
Aug 12, 2006
Shropshire
Oh, wow, those are amazing :You_Rock_ :notworthy .

I've been using a blowpipe since i was seven or eight. I started off with peashooters and then scaled up to a 1m steal choob, I've mainly used small nails with paper flights for target shooting but I've also made some of those thistle down and wood darts but I found them quite slow, i'd be interested to know how you make the wooden flights. And I'd also like to try making a blowpipe out of elder to, does anyone know of a tutorial or something i haven't come across one yet.

They are very nice weapons, There was a UK blowgun association I found a while ago but there website seems to have disappeared.

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
I have started making a blowgun out of a length of Bamboo. So far i have split it down the midle and took the nodes out. before i put the two halves back together should i do anything to the inside like wax it or anything? :dunno: .

Does anyone know any tutorials on making a blowgun or do you have any tips? :confused:

Please help

Jon

chrisanson

Nomad
Apr 12, 2006
Dudley
jon r said:
I have started making a blowgun out of a length of Bamboo. So far i have split it down the midle and took the nodes out. before i put the two halves back together should i do anything to the inside like wax it or anything? :dunno: .

Does anyone know any tutorials on making a blowgun or do you have any tips? :confused:

Please help

Jon

how about puting some aluminium tube into the bamboo?
chris

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
WOW! :lmao: just finished making my blowgun! Works like a beauty! Not sure it shoots 200 yards but the arrows stick easily in trees every time! :eek: I could definately use for hunting but im not going to. :eek: I just want to go out and play with it but its raining now! You all have to make one! It wasnt too hard to make and its great fun!

I didnt use aluminium piping just the rod of bamboo.

I have made 11 darts for it so far one of which used the fluffy down from the clematis seed head.

Just want to say thanks for the inspiration guys!

wanderinstar

On a new journey
Jun 14, 2005
Yorkshire/Lancs Border
Found this on net a while ago.
http://www.geocities.com/blowgunhunter/

But I thought hunting with a blowpipe was illegal in this country. Mind you anything that takes game silently is illegal. Longbow, crossbow and blowpipe all SILENT and, I believe all illegal. Rifle and shotgun both NOISY and ,with licenses, both legal.
Why is that. Could it be anything to do with landowners and gamekeepers?

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
I have just been looking up the law on blowguns. They are listed in a long list of things like knuckle dusters, concealed knives and so on. They are described as a hollow tube that fires hard pellets or darts powered by breath. Making one, buying, selling etc is an offence.

So, where does that leave bushcraft experiments in this?

Paradoxically, the way I read it an air pistol is not included. Nor is any other "dart gun" driven by air. Breath seems the only illegal thing to power a dart with! Odd isn't it.

Anyway, maybe we can make a "dart gun" powered by compressed air? Bellows?

bent-stick

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
surrey
www.customarchery.net
I know somone who has offered to get me blow guns from the Phillipines but I don't think they will get through customs.

As for other projectile weapons have a look at atl-atls. They can be as simple as a stick with a handy twig to use as a pusher. Darts can be made of hazel sun shoots or cane. I've made a pretty successful datrt fletched with cane leaves and tipped with flint.

longshot

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 16, 2006
Newfoundland, Canada
Doc said:
Fascinating.

How do they drill such a precise hole?
Over what sort of range is it useable?
What poison do they use? Curare?
Are the darts made of wood?

As for the atlatl, that sounds like an interesting meet project. I must try and find out more about it.

I vaguely remember seeing areview of a book on 'man powered weapons' that covered crossbows and air rifles too.

I sometimes wonder if 'primitive technology' is an appropriate name for such sophistication.

anyone interested in learning more about the atlatl or a number of other "primitive" weapons/tools take a look over at.
http://b16.ezboard.com/bpaleoplanet69529

dean

Reactions: Doc

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
This guy is ace: http://www.geocities.com/blowgunhunter/

I also have alot of respect for this guy: http://www.aerodart.com/

I purchased a coldsteel blowgun some time back and shipped it over from America. God knows how it made it through customs though....I got the 5 foot jobby. It was ok, but I dont think it would suffice for small game hunting or anything like that. But I realised pretty soon it wouldnt be too hard to make one yourself. The best thing to look for is seamless mechanical tube!

As for darts I make mine myself anyway. Kebab skewers or thin dowel for shafts with super glue saturated paper cone flights and finished with clipped scalpel blades.

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
Mighten I add that blowguns are ilegal to purchase in the UK, but you may own one if you already had one before the ban.

Im not sure about hunting with them, but it may be seen as an act of animal cruelty, so make sure if you hunt atall its at least with a good length of around 6.5ft of tube, with at least a .50 barrel, so the animal will be killed not maimed.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE