Alternatives to the traditional bow?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shambling Shaman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
Atlatl - You can get the same efect with a bit of string with a knot in the end - make a smal ridge near the tip rap the string once over the knot and keeping the string tightmove your hand down to the flight end throw like a Atlatl I think this system was used by the french (french arrows) could be wrong.
But I have used this system in a non hunting way and found it easy and the string just fits in your pocket / round your wrist etc...

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
I'm not sure why these weapons were banned for hunting in the UK. Bowhunting is illegal here too and in most of Europe as far as I know.
I guess there is a worry about people running around with easily made, silent and unliscensed weapons. It would also be of less economic benefit than shooting.
It probably comes from some perception of cruelty though. Political logic would equate anything primitive with being cruel or dangerous unless it was done by a minority group :lmao:

WhichDoctor

Nomad
Aug 12, 2006
Shropshire
I know this is a bit off-topic, but while I was searching the internet for blowpipe info I came across this. There not strictly bushcraft but they do look fun, Im going to have a go at some of them and see how good they are and if they can be made a bit more bushcrafty.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE