Alternative desert boots

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ddokkum

Forager
Feb 16, 2007
The Netherlands
Picture your sefl in the middle of Eritheria and you lost your fancy Meindl Desert boots.
Just make a pair of these desert flip flops.

flipflops.jpg

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
The ingenuity of people in third world countries will never cease to amaze me. Although they have less money than us, I think they lead a far richer life.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
They are great but they only come in one size

The size magic gloves come in........?

I'm not sure they do lead richer lives, I am told by people who have travelled to these places they aspire to be like us.

I think that may be our one thread through humanity that links us. Aspiration.

Sorry, got all profound, bet they give evil blisters.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Your right dougster, they probably do rub a bit (though the person wearing them seems to have robust feet anyway, though I have no doubt they apprechiate the extra defence against thorns.)

how do they grip? My ankles are weak, and so all my life I have chosen footwear that doesnt slip (and this seems to be dependent more on sole material than tread) my current trainers are worn above and beyond decency, yet they still grip (and let the water in copiously, but once Im comfy in something, I will admit Im not inclined to change...and yes, I do have a few nearly new pairs a kind person gave me)

I bet they slip something rotten

how long would they last as opposed to moccasins? (though I bet they only take a few minutes to make)

If I wanted sandals, I personaly would use the rubber mats that you get in cars, has anyone ever tried this? or as soles for moccasins?

I contemplated adding soles like that to my worn out sheepskin slippers...but to be honest, they are too knackered to fool with.

Are these sandals unusual or does every pop drinker in Eritherea have a pair?

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
If I wanted sandals, I personaly would use the rubber mats that you get in cars, has anyone ever tried this? or as soles for moccasins?

I contemplated adding soles like that to my worn out sheepskin slippers...but to be honest, they are too knackered to fool with.

I use that sort of stuff (mine is industrial conveyor belting) to maintain my clogs to stop the sole's wearing out. I cut the shape oversize then glue and pin it with sawn off wire nail's, then grind the excess off flush. I've done it lots of times (usually evry 5 or 6 monthes) I bought the clogs (walkley's steelies) in 1990 they are still good, and its an excellent way to make use of sustainable recycled scraps.

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
A lot of the guys out there wear sandals made from recycled car/truck tyres as spikey mentioned. See this website (not mine) for a photo of a guy making them.

In more rural areas they leave the inner tube rubber strapping quite long with excess strapping hanging down. I always wondered why this was till I was out on an overnight trip in a forest when it started lashing down with rain ....... we weren't carrying any tinder and everything around us was soaked ......... including our box of matches! One or two dry matches left so only a couple of chances for a hot meal that night! I struck one match and it lit. I managed to light some paper we were carrying and then one of the Samburu guys reaches down and cuts a slice of the excess strapping of his shoes and we light this with the paper! Genius! The rubber burnt for a long time allowing us to get some wet kindling dried out and lit.

Car tyre shoes ...... not just useful footwear ...... mobile waterproof tinder too!

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
Mr dazzler, spot on! I like that idea, AND good for the enviroment to boot!
Cheers
Alex

Hey Alex dont get confused with the clog terminology :lmao: . If you google clog you get mostly fairy slipper type "shoes" :rolleyes: for chef's and nurse's, totlaly wrong use of the word clog :lmao: But CLOGS are and always will be working men's footwear made from wood. Some (eg Dutch klompen)_ are solid wood, some (eg Spanish or french sabots) are wood with a single leather strap. The best :D are the English ones, wood sole's and a full leather stitched upper :lmao: Hard and tough as nail's, boot's for men not wussies. I feel confident to have a go at carving a pair of soles. I saw some bast shooes from russia (woven birch bark)

ddokkum

Forager
Feb 16, 2007
The Netherlands
Hey Alex dont get confused with the clog terminology :lmao: . If you google clog you get mostly fairy slipper type "shoes" :rolleyes: for chef's and nurse's, totlaly wrong use of the word clog :lmao: But CLOGS are and always will be working men's footwear made from wood. Some (eg Dutch klompen)_ are solid wood, some (eg Spanish or french sabots) are wood with a single leather strap. The best :D are the English ones, wood sole's and a full leather stitched upper :lmao: Hard and tough as nail's, boot's for men not wussies. I feel confident to have a go at carving a pair of soles. I saw some bast shooes from russia (woven birch bark)

Dutch "klompen"

klompen.jpg

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
shoes made from plastic, amazes me even more :lmao:
Seriously though clogs are just so comfortable, they keep your feet warm in winter and cool in summer, great for when your up a ladder as they support your feet they dont bend in half like fairy slippers (sorry trainer's :D ) do, nail proof (I first started wearing clogs as I got sick of nails spiking through my steelies in the pallet factory) easy and satisfying to maintain and care for, plus they are proper man's boot's. I admit it takes a while to get used to them at first your trying to walk in them as you do in shoes that flex; this causes fatigue and cramps in your ankles and shin's as they havent yet learnt they cant flex a wooden sole :lmao: , but when you relax and let your foot just support the clog as you move its great. My wife thought I was nuts to pay £45.00 in 1990 for one pair, but they are still good even today. None of your expensive cheap designer muck, buy now, wear for 2 month's until they wear out (or the stupid fashion changes again :confused: :rolleyes: )

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Welsh clogs are mainly used by dancers now... but don't laff coz they can give you a serious kicking as well!
Remember the Cloggies - they were pansies compared to Welsh clog dancers!:nana:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE