All the gear and no idea!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Most walkers in the Cairngorms this time of year will have ice axe and crampons. As you are planning a low level route you can manage without, but care will still be needed not to end up on steep ground in icy conditions. Vibram soles give very little traction on ice.

A waterproof shell is pretty essential. I guess a poncho might do but in high winds I would very much prefer a waterproof jacket with decent hood.

Gaiters will be necessary or you may get boots full of snow.

Trangias can be a bit tricky to light when cold. The military trangia has a flattish fuel bottle so you can put it in an inner pocket to keep it warm. I would take plenty of fuel. It probably won't be necessary to melt snow at low level, but you might want plenty hot drinks often if its cold.

Ryvoan bothy used to be, and hopefully still is, a great place for a comfortable (and free) nights kip. Take woodfuel with you.

Check forecast and avalanche risk before you go. Radio Scotland (810kHz and also on FM) do forecasts for walkers and climbers at weekends.

You may be lucky, but anticipate very cold weather and snow. Navigation, even at low level can be difficult when it is snowing and windy. Overnight temeperatures can easily be minus ten degrees C in Scotland this time of year. It was minus 6 here last night, and I live 100 miles south and at low level.

Alex...

Tenderfoot
Feb 2, 2007
Silverstone
Wow

Many Many thanks guys - especially like the little tips (like that of Greg's). There are a few things I neglected to mention I had, which you have highlighted, and others I wouldn't even have dreamed of!

In regards to the Tent, I think I should be ok in the Bivi, as it should be a top notch one! (given what I paid, I will be bloody angry if its not! - and I'll suggest a new bushcraft hobby of hunting down the shareholders of force ten) although some have mentioned a tarp, I may go for a poncho if I use the M90 and take the advice of others of using 1 item for several purposes.

I will take a camera, although a cheapo disposable one and then if it works pop some pics on here.

Again many thanks, I really appreciate your inputs.

P.S

From Doc

Overnight temeperatures can easily be minus ten degrees C in Scotland this time of year. It was minus 6 here last night, and I live 100 miles south and at low level.

I'm looking for as cold as possible to test my gear out...sounds good :)

Alex...

Tenderfoot
Feb 2, 2007
Silverstone
MitchelHicks said:
Just wondering in the kit i may need section is that kit you have already got or do you need help getting some of it

Mitchel

It's Kit i haven't got yet but planning to do so in the next week or so. I've seen a few websites (and those recommended here) so any additional info would be appreciated.

Bhod

Forager
Feb 2, 2007
North Tyneside
As always with any sort of trip, preparation is the keyword. I note (forgive me if i'm wrong), that your Bivi is brand new and untested, i'd suggest you practice setting it up and getting in and out of it a few times before your trip starts, this way you'll be able to spot any potential pitfalls and figure a way to work aound them, nothing worse than trying to figure something out when your cold and wet and desperate need of doing so.

The more you familiarise yourself with your equipment the better prepared you will be for setting it up in the most inclement of situations. Know your equipment, it's uses and it's limitations, also recognise your own limitations as this will save not only yourself but also any rescue organisations any grief.

Edited to add - Have an excellent trip, be safe and above all, enjoy yourself.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
http://www.cairngormbothynetwork.com/

I was there this time last year and had a hoot in the Bothies.

Take as little as possible. My bag was the smallest and lightest. I was the happiest.

Walking poles. They make coming down hill easier and safer and I can get and extra mile or two an hour on the flat.

A swiss army knife with a saw is probably all you will need, you only need cordage if you are under a bothy but 20m or so will not hurt.

Think light, wear a waterproof.

Have a great time and post some pics for us all to go green over.

Richard

PJMCBear

Settler
May 4, 2006
Hyde, Cheshire
rik_uk3 said:
a small flask of your favourite nip lifts your mood :)
Surprised you added this, Rik. I'd personally not recommend it to a relative newbie, out on his own and in the winter.

Alex, not sure of your situation/experience. Could you not pursuade someone to go with you? Just thinking of your safety, not trying to be critical.

Be safe.

Alex...

Tenderfoot
Feb 2, 2007
Silverstone
PJMCBear said:
rik_uk3 said:
a small flask of your favourite nip lifts your mood :)
Surprised you added this, Rik. I'd personally not recommend it to a relative newbie, out on his own and in the winter.

Alex, not sure of your situation/experience. Could you not pursuade someone to go with you? Just thinking of your safety, not trying to be critical.

Be safe.

If I suggested going to the highlands in Scotland to my friends at this time of year for some rough camping, I think I would be instiutionalised! And besides that I'm planning on stopping smoking whilst up there (pretty sure there are no shop within running distance) so I wont be the best company either :argue:

Paul K

Tenderfoot
Apr 29, 2003
In the woods
Alex

You've got a lot of decent advice here. Definitely stay light and err on the side of waterproofing everything. Scottish weather is amazingly fickle. One thing I would re-iterate is to not take an axe. You won't have the opportunity to use it. There is relatively little woodland in the cairngorms and what there is, you can just go chopping down. Besides, you shouldn't be lighting open fires anywhere and certainly not in the Rothiemurchus. I wouldn't even bother with a saw unless you are planning on cutting blocks of snow, which it sounds like you aren't. I've spent a lot of time in the Cairngorms and the most you'll need is a decent folder and probably then only for opening packets of food! As for water purification - don't bother. The streams up in the hills are fresh enough to drink. Just check for dead animals directly upstream.

It's very easy to take extra kit "just in case". With the exception of emergency kit and first aid kits (and even then think about what you would be able to administer yourself if you were injured), you should always think "if in doubt, leave it out".

Don't tale un-necessary risks, plan (realistically) your route, let people know where you are going and stick to your planned route.

Best

Paul

PhilParry

Nomad
Sep 30, 2005
Milton Keynes, Bucks
.....you're going dressed as a BEAR????? :Wow:

Alex... said:
As I am frequently told by my brother!

Anyway the scenario is I am going to the cairngorms for a few days towards the end of this month or early next. I am not going into the mountains as such (no climbing or plateau's etc...) . Really just a few days (or week)I have an idea of the kit I need but would welcome any thoughts etc...

I don't need criticism, ridicule etc, but banter is always welcome. So I'll list the kit I have and am planning to get and any advice is very welcome. I am still new so constructive criticism without the overly sarci remarks are appreciated. Apologies if this sounds a little ott, still trying to find my feet here.

So here goes:

KIT currently (pretty sure will take)

Salomon boots (and socks obiviously!)
Rucksack
US army bear suit
Poly underwear
Gloves (damn hot!)
Thinsulate beanie type hat
US army crewmans hood
Snugpak Antarctica
Force Ten Alpine Bivy
Sog Seal pup knife.

Kit (unsure about taking - depending on weather)

Baffin boots (contour)
Dewliner

Kit I may need ( and help with here please)

Need outer shell so thinking of the US army ECWCS system or Swedish m90 parka and trousers (with a poncho) if that's the case.
poncho or tarp
Axe(gerber pack axe?)
Saw (bahco laplander?)
Trangia
Fire steel
Frosts mora
Flask
Sunglasses, Goggles

ANWAY!

Any help greatly appreciated. I am not doing anything too daft and am pretty sure that I will be warm enough. In fact I may need to make sure I am not too warm and sweaty.

so if you were doing this what would you take.

Thanks

Alex

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
dommyracer said:
Why is this Paul?

The Scottish access code does not prohibit fires, but says this:
Lighting fires
Wherever possible, use a stove rather than light an open fire. If you do wish to light an open fire, keep it small, under control and supervised – fires that get out of control can cause major damage, for which you might be liable. Never light an open fire during prolonged dry periods or in areas such as forests, woods, farmland, or on peaty ground or near to buildings or in cultural heritage sites where damage can be easily caused. Heed all advice at times of high risk. Remove all traces of an open fire before you leave.

BUT it does not repeal earlier legislation that prohibits lighting a fire in or near a 'plantation'.

Rothiemurchus has much old Caledonian forest and you can argue about whether it is a 'plantation' - it is however an exceedingly valuable habitat and not one to take any risks with.

Paul K

Tenderfoot
Apr 29, 2003
In the woods
Doc said:
The Scottish access code does not prohibit fires, but says this:
Lighting fires
Wherever possible, use a stove rather than light an open fire. If you do wish to light an open fire, keep it small, under control and supervised – fires that get out of control can cause major damage, for which you might be liable. Never light an open fire during prolonged dry periods or in areas such as forests, woods, farmland, or on peaty ground or near to buildings or in cultural heritage sites where damage can be easily caused. Heed all advice at times of high risk. Remove all traces of an open fire before you leave.

BUT it does not repeal earlier legislation that prohibits lighting a fire in or near a 'plantation'.

Rothiemurchus has much old Caledonian forest and you can argue about whether it is a 'plantation' - it is however an exceedingly valuable habitat and not one to take any risks with.

Thanks Doc, you saved me a job there. So, given you can't light fires in or near what wooland there is and that you can light a small fire in the areas where there is no woodland, you are left with the practical problem of having to carry firewood around with you. You might as well take a stove.

Chance

Nomad
May 10, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Another vote for a bothy bag. Slightly more bulky than a survival bag, but useful for:
- Tea breaks in a squall or, more likely, a blizzard
- Storing gear that doesn't fit in the bivi
A four-man bag is comfortable for two; mine's always at the bottom of the sack.

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
Thanks Paul and Doc.

Hadn't realised the fire thing was such a big deal, impressions from previous discussions had on here were that a small, responsibly managed fire was okay....

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
On the subject of fire, Ray Mears makes a good example in his "Bushcraft - Four Seasons" Episode. Where he states the very under growth found in alot of highland forest can catch alight and smoulder unseen for sometimes months before reappearing and possibly causing a forest fire.
So if you do plan to make a fire then follow his example and make it on the bank of a river / stream away from the forest floor. Any residue from the remains will laso be washed away. That is if the waterway isn't already in flood!! :eek:

But anyway I hope you have good time and most importantly of all - Stay safe :)

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
Alex... said:
As I am frequently told by my brother!

Anyway the scenario is I am going to the cairngorms for a few days towards the end of this month or early next. I am not going into the mountains as such (no climbing or plateau's etc...) . Really just a few days (or week)I have an idea of the kit I need but would welcome any thoughts etc...

I don't need criticism, ridicule etc, but banter is always welcome. So I'll list the kit I have and am planning to get and any advice is very welcome. I am still new so constructive criticism without the overly sarci remarks are appreciated. Apologies if this sounds a little ott, still trying to find my feet here.

So here goes:

Alex

I don't live in the UK, so I don't really know what you will need. One thought however. Often on this site I see a lot of emphasis on axes. In 50 years of camping we've seldom brought an axe unless we are camping directly out of the car. Firewood can almost always be handled with just a small folding saw making an axe just that much more to carry with little added utility. If you need to keep the weight down - leave the axe at home.

Other than that - dress in layers so you can shed clothing at need - and bring extra wool socks.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE