All the gear and no idea!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Alex...

Tenderfoot
Feb 2, 2007
Silverstone
As I am frequently told by my brother!

Anyway the scenario is I am going to the cairngorms for a few days towards the end of this month or early next. I am not going into the mountains as such (no climbing or plateau's etc...) . Really just a few days (or week)I have an idea of the kit I need but would welcome any thoughts etc...

I don't need criticism, ridicule etc, but banter is always welcome. So I'll list the kit I have and am planning to get and any advice is very welcome. I am still new so constructive criticism without the overly sarci remarks are appreciated. Apologies if this sounds a little ott, still trying to find my feet here.

So here goes:

KIT currently (pretty sure will take)

Salomon boots (and socks obiviously!)
Rucksack
US army bear suit
Poly underwear
Gloves (damn hot!)
Thinsulate beanie type hat
US army crewmans hood
Snugpak Antarctica
Force Ten Alpine Bivy
Sog Seal pup knife.

Kit (unsure about taking - depending on weather)

Baffin boots (contour)
Dewliner

Kit I may need ( and help with here please)

Need outer shell so thinking of the US army ECWCS system or Swedish m90 parka and trousers (with a poncho) if that's the case.
poncho or tarp
Axe(gerber pack axe?)
Saw (bahco laplander?)
Trangia
Fire steel
Frosts mora
Flask
Sunglasses, Goggles

ANWAY!

Any help greatly appreciated. I am not doing anything too daft and am pretty sure that I will be warm enough. In fact I may need to make sure I am not too warm and sweaty.

so if you were doing this what would you take.

Thanks

Alex

Hi Alex,

Sounds like a good trip is being planned. ;)

I'd like to throw a few thoughts at you with no suggestion of being sarci:-

I take it that you will be carrying the normal other essential bits of kit FAK, PSK, etc.?

What will you do about water filtering/purification? What will you store your fresh water in?

Are you going to a forested area where an axe is required?

Will you be taking any emergency tinder such as cotton wool balls smeared in petroleum jelly?

I like the idea of the trangia - my Swedish army trangia goes everywhere with me now even if I'm only out for an hour or two - love brewing up in the field :D

I'm sure other guys will have some questions and advice for you. Don't forget to take your camera and post us up some pictures of your adventure ;)

All the best,

Phil.

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
As you are headed off into the mountain I'd suggest taking some emergancy kit...

First aid kit
Foil blanket
Signaling device (mirror, torch, marker panel, whistle)
An orange survival bivi bag (one of those plastic ones)
Mobile phone
Maybe an emergancy ration pack
Water purification
.... you get the idea.

Dont forget to let someone know you route and when you expect to be back ... just incase ;)

The cairngorms can be pretty bleak at this time of year and its better to have too much kit than not enough. Better be safe than sorry when heading into the mountains rather than local woodland.

:D
Ed

Alex...

Tenderfoot
Feb 2, 2007
Silverstone
Thanks Ed and TMKTK

Forgot that I do have a first aid kit and foil survival blanket! Both given to me by my brother - God you would think he doesnt trust me.

Also have compass, (getting maps) etc... . I am planning on doing a trip around the base of the mountain range which will leave me in some wooded areas and other barren ones, hence the bivy.

TMKTK - i have no idea what FAK and PSK are?

Planning on boiling snow (ideally ice if I can compact it enough) and taking some form of flask. I am really trying to keep weight to a minimum as well.

thanks Guys

Alex... said:
TMKTK - i have no idea what FAK and PSK are?

Hey Alex,

PSK - Personal Survival Kit - I have varios bit of kit in a neat little tin with roller locks. Contains things like folding knife, whistle, plasic zip lock bag, condom, scaple blade, water purification tabs, pencil, paper, fire steel, matches, sewing kit, candle, foil carton, signalling mirror, wire saw, < I would unpack it an take a picture but it takes an age to pack up again>

FAK - First Aid Kit - I have an "ouch pouch" with standard basic first aid kit to hand. I then carry a more extensive grab bag that somebody put together for me with some heavy duty first aid stuff in.

BTW - I always carry at least 3 cyalume glowsticks very handy!

Phil.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Take a tarp or tent, as it rains a lot in Scotland, being stuck in a bivvy is not fun after the first 24 hours. A poncho will do the job. Small radio is good (the BBC world service is heaven to listen to when its raining hard), a paperback is great, extra sweets lift moral, a small flask of your favourite nip lifts your mood :)

Have a great time, and post some pics with the digital cameral you may take along :)

AndyW

Nomad
Nov 12, 2006
Essex
Alex,

Not taking anything for granted, you mention a bivy, sleeping bag and possibly a tarp have you got a something like a Thermarest or a more basic foam sleep mat?

Makes a huge difference in keeping warm at night as well as making things more comfortable.

Andy

madrussian

Nomad
Aug 18, 2006
New Iberia, Louisiana USA
Howdy Alex. I didn't notice if you or someone else mentioned a flashlight or torch. I also thought of condiments, salt, pepper, etc. Just to make things a little more pleasant. I always carry a couple of different fire lighting items with me just in case one doesn't work.

Alex...

Tenderfoot
Feb 2, 2007
Silverstone
Good points, and obviously I have forgotten to metion, I have a roll mat (although seriously considering a therarest!)

The Bivy I have should be a lot better than most tents in honesty. I've also got a Pretzl (sic) and Maglite (3 battery) pressies from my bro which will help although I have considered the Calumine - but not scared of the dark ;).

A lot of the "survival stuff" I dont really need in my opinion - eg, filtration straws etc.... It would be a mjor difference elsewhere and on a different timescale.

Anyway I am still curious about using a M90 suit with a poncho - any ideas??

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I know you will have probably included most of this equipment, but when I trained in mountainous areas in the army, we were expected to always carry 10 items on our person, it was called our 'Pocket contents'.
The 10 items were as follows:

Map + Compass
Knife + Survival kit
First Aid Kit + Survival blanket
Torch + Whistle
Hat + Gloves

To this we also added Emergency Rations (High Energy foods that do not get used unless in a real emergency) and Water.

A snack pack (High energy food mixed together in a ziplock bag) is handy to have whilst out and about, you can eat on the move by just dipping into your snack pack in your pocket. It beats having to unwrap choc bars etc and dispose of the wrapping.

If you are going to take a lighter, then attach it to a lanyard and wear it around your neck inside your clothing, this will prevent the fuel from freezing.

Nowadays you should, if finances permit, add a GPS to the list.

If you intend to enter any areas that might have an avalanche risk, then Recco locator beacons, or similar are handy (one in your top pocket and one in your trousers, some modern mountain jackets and trousers probably come with these built in)

Also 10m of avalanche cord, taped at 1m intervals, attached to you somewhere where it will be easily deployed in the event of an avalanche.( the tape should be marked as ascending numbers ie. 1m, 2m, 3m ....10m, this way if someone finds the cord they can follow it back to you because you will be 0m, if you get my drift!!)

And obviously in our bergens we carried our sleeping systems, basha kit, food (boil in the bag), cooking equipment (Liquid fuel,not gas because that freezes at low temps), Waterproofs, and extra warm kit.
Oh and our wash kit, we weren't all mingers after all!! :rolleyes:

I hope this helps you Alex.

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
I would second the thing about lighters. My turbo lighter gets a bit weedy when it gets cold :-(

I always pop in two boxes of matches, one on me (in a zip lock bag) and one in my kit. I know its duplication but when it comes to getting warm don't take chances. I find a steel awkward when really cold.

Personally I wouldn't take the survival blanket but an orange poly bag. Bags don't blow off, the wind doesn't get under them, they don't blow away once you are in, and a helicopter can see them more easily. You can get changed in them and with care even lie in them with your cooker outside and cook a meal.

This next bit could be considered by some as nasty so only highlight it if you don't mind graphic advice or a personal nature!!If the weather is REALLY nasty and you need a pee then unzip (or pull) you sleeping bag down past your waist, make a 1" cross cut in the bag and use that as a waste disposal point to save getting out and cold again :eek: The rain will soon wash the pee away.

Keep the hole about 2" off the ground to stop rain coming in from above or below. You could seal it with a plaster :rolleyes:

If you are going to kip in one then make sure the bottom of the entrance is well under the top so it doesn't collect rain water.

Not the nicest way to spend a night but you can get comfortable if you work at it.

Ray mears recommends putting it over you head and cutting a face hole to look out, I havn't tried it but you woul dneed somthing to sit up against to be comfortable.

Alternatively if you are in a group have you considered a bothy bag?

Dogface

Jun 16, 2005
Surrey
Alex,

On top of all the good advice above, there are a couple of things I'd like to bring up as they've not been directly mentioned so far....the first is heresy, so I'll say it quietly...

I'd question the need to load yourself down with the SOG Seal Pup, axe, saw and Mora. After all, you're taking a tent and stove so it's unlikely you are going to need to do a lot of cutting etc. If it was my choice I'd go with a decent Swiss army knife and maybe a multi-tool. But don't tell anyone I said, OK? The other thing is, I'd keep an eye on the weight of your rucksack as nothing spoils the fun quicker than being overloaded with stuff you're not going to need (especially when the ground is soft and wet as it will be). Have you got a target weight that you know you can carry comfortably over a reasonable distance?

And I mention these things 'cause years ago when I first walked around Scotland a bit these were a couple of the hardest lessons (an overloaded pack once tried to drown me in a stream!).

Anyway, just some thoughts. Hope you have fun and stay safe (but not too safe). Oh, and take a camera.

Nick.

hanzo

Nomad
Feb 12, 2006
Hawaii
hanzosoutdoors.blogspot.com
I didn't see mentioned, so I will just add some cordage. If you are going to take a tarp, consider having the cords pre-attached. That could make set-up in the cold and wet a little easier and faster.

And finally, not for the purist, but consider taking a road flare in double plastic bags. For the time you really have to get a fire going and you may not be as physically capable to do so. Cheap insurance if you ask me.

Have fun!

jerv

Forager
Aug 28, 2005
sussex
you sound well equipped, take some good uplifting books no mountain survival or arctic disasters (i'd take Dersu Uzala) and a snow shovel. Feb/march is still winter and snow holes are a good way to sit out a blizzard (experience not reading!) Snow shovels are expensive but extrememly light and can have avalanche probes come with them. Even if you don't need to dig a hole you might want to clear some ground.
I'd have a bit more wool clothing Swannies are reasonable if overrated (oh dear!) and being a dull tartan can get provide a nice camo for game watching. The indigenous people of that area wore lot's of wool which is always a good reccomendation.
have fun

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Not got a great deal to add. If you're planning on melting snow, make sure you don't compact it too much in your pot or it will never melt and you may burn your pot through (though not with a trangia! :D).

Finally, and while all the advice given above is good advice, I'll reiterate the point made right at the top by Ed as I think it's one of the most important and most often neglected.

Plan your route well and stick to your plan if you can. Make sure someone responsible knows your route and when you're expected to arrive back. If you have a mobile signal, let them know how you're getting on, especially if you're going to be late or deviate from the planned route.

Don't forget a whistle.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Haven't got much time to answer at the moment but would suggest gaiters or plastic double boots - even for non-climbing trip. Scotland is v damp and maybe even goretex socks might be an idea to keep your feet as dry as possible.

You don't say whether you'll be operating from a basecamp or travelling around. If base camp - fine; if travelling around, you may want to look at some lighter kit, especially clothing. Layering is key - as always.

Don't really need axe and saw - suggest saw as it's lighter.

Don't need Mora and SOG Pup. Suggest Mora - cheaper if you lose it. If you are a Bladeophile type, then take a penknife or a Leatherman/Gerber as backup.

You do need a second (or even third) method of lighting fire. Suggest fag lighter or turbo-lighter and/or safety matches. Someone has already mentioned tinder but that depends on whether open fires permitted.

Outer layer - M90s, etc, are heavy but hardwearing for bushcraft activities. Not much use in rain but if weather looks good - fine. Maybe a cheapish fleece?

If you are going to do a lot of gear testing, great - if not, I would suggest lightening your load considerably. We are not talking spending lots of money, just filtering what you are taking with you. Look to take gear that has more than one use. I'm probably teaching you to suck eggs here...

I'm not going to get into the Trangia debate - I despise them. You don't say whether you will be able to use a wood fire? If you can, lose the stove or just take a hexy as a back up.

Hope this helps. Off to suppress the locals now. ;)

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
A tip I got from a US Marine, was if your going to take water in a bottle of sorts don,t fill it right to the top, the sloshing around effect helps prevent the water freezing.

MitchelHicks

Forager
Aug 29, 2006
London
Just wondering in the kit i may need section is that kit you have already got or do you need help getting some of it

Mitchel

The bit about the sarci remarks you shouldn't get any on here everyones to friendly. Good luck on your trip

Roy's Badger

Tenderfoot
Sep 21, 2005
Kernow
Gaiters & gore-tex socks are a good shout, but only use gore-tex socks when you're static. I once ignored this advice, and spent 3 days on Dartmoor with soaking wet feet- niiiice! If, however, you just wear them in camp, they dry your feet out and keep them warm- then you just have to deal with putting your minging pair back on..... so my advice would be spare, good quality socks. It's essential to take good care of your feet if you plan to do a lot of walking.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE