aitor?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

woodsitter

Tenderfoot
Jan 18, 2004
Amsterdam
Hi, does anyone know Aitor?

I posted something a few days ago about how to downsize the machete and ad a saw. In this quest I was of course roaming the internet, as I was locking for a knife to do everything, (you know, cutting, carving, shopping, sawing, hammering, prying, all this in one tool, not to big, not to heavy, cheap, durable easy to handle and with laser sightings :wink: ).

You will not be surprised that I did not find what I was locking for, well neither am I, but you got to try. I did come across some strange edged tools and one of them was made by a company called aitor that I never heard of before. They are Spanish and everything I found about their knives is in Spanish. I speak and read 3 languages but Spanish isn’t one of them.

Anyway I found this knife combining a few of my needs.
sincodigo1.jpg

I’m not going to buy it because of the lousy bowie knife point, it would be a pain to sharpen and the hideous murderous look (besides, it would be illegal in Holland), but does anyone know this company? Are they any good at all? They have a lot of other knifes, some of them look o.k. and some are just toys or in general useless for any bushcraft. I’m just curious.

Oct 16, 2003
Surrey
Woodsitter,

I have had some experience with these knives. When "young and foolish" (relative term) I bought an Aitor that looked like your picture. It was poor to say the least. I couldn't get a decent edge on it save my life, but I was a less experienced knife sharpener then. However, the knife was also exceeding light, so would not be much good for chopping. I gave mine away to an Italian friend that thought it looked cool and was impressed by the catapult built into the sheath. God know what he did with it as he never ventures out of Shepherds Bush!

I think Aitors are sold by the company that also sell the Pukko's reviewed on the review page of this site. I got their catalogue and I'm sure they were in there. They tend to look good, but I wouldn't get another one. I'd rather spend a bit more on one of the knives all the guy's on this website tend to recommend.

Andrew

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Personally, I'd steer clear. They're geared towards looks and not usage. :cry:

faca

Forager
Dec 10, 2003
SPAIN
Hello from Spain
I know Aitor knifes becuse here in Spain is one of the main knifes company.
The quality of their products is good and their catolog is big check wwww.aitor.com
Their SAK line os not as wonderfull finished like Victorinox but they are cheaper too.
The knife you refer is supplied to special operation Spanish army.
I can say that during my military service I had the chance to use one of them and I tell you the is a very tough field knife.
I digged, chopped etc with it with no problem.
Of courese the purpous of this knife is not to be a cutter but a field/survival/military knife.
The steel is stainless cover with black epoxy, each blade comes with RC text mark 59RC.
Handle is plastic+fiber very touch.
Shealth is made with plastic with quick detechable lanyard.
All materials used are military spec so no problem about durability.
The shape of blade is inspired in the blades used by Iberos one of the natives people lived in Spain (even Coldsteel has made some foldable knives with this design mod.Vaquero).
My opinion is fine knife but I prefer my Sissipuukko M95.
Enjoy

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
i have seen quite a few but don't really like them. not used in fied but i have held them. the best company from spain that i have enconterd is Nieto which i have to sell

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
i've had a few aitors, mostly the classic jungle kings 2, & 3. the JK3 had a plastic hollow handle and a four inch blade it was a great little knife. the JK2 is a bit bigger ( 5-5.5 inches ) and has a metal handle that is glued and pinned to the blade.

i used 'em on tours in africa and a tiny desert island in the indian ocean. they were used and abused and the JKIIs never failed. the only let down with the JK3 was the brass insert which had the thread for the pommel cap slipped a bit. i've heard a few people say the edge holding isn't brilliant, but that wasn't my experience at all. the JKII is a much copied knife, and i'd say deservedly so.

cheers, and.

Feral

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 7, 2006
Victoria
I had an Atior as the one in the pitcure, I loved it, I found easy to sharpen, and it was great on pigs. It was stolen a few years back along with my Landy, got the Landy back, but no knife.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE