Air Matress - Bad Back

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I have a friend who has a bit of a bad back and has used air matresses in the past when camping. She would find that she would get cold during the night.

Now from what I understand, the air matress is just air and plastic with no insulation properties and as a result any body heat is just lost trying to warm up the large pocket of air.

Is there anything she could do that would help her stay warmer and avoid waking up with a sore back? Would switching over to a thermarest type pad be enough?

I am trying to convert her to a be a hammock camper and looking promising so far. :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
One of the down mats.
Honestly, Andy, it really is worth the money.
Firm, supportive, comfortable, large enough to turn over on easily, and it's warm underneath you while you sleep.

If mine died tomorrow, I'd buy another one.

atb,
Mary

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
If she wants to stick with the air mattress then insulation between mattress and sleeping bag will make a massive improvement in warmth.

Louis

Thanks Mary, they may just be a bit out of the price range at the moment. I would love to get one for myself as well but can't justify it as I am pretty much a hammock person with the odd sleep or two on the ground.

Louis, so a normal air mat ontop of the larger matress would do the trick? Could this also apply to using reindeer hides (not that I have any but it is an idea :) )?
This would be ideal for camps close to the car but hauling multiple air mattresses may be a problem.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
My mother-in-law, whose idea of camping was anything less than a 5star hotel, was intrigued by my Thermarest and borrowed it one night when I was visiting to see if it could ease her bad back. It was probably the first time in her life she had ever slept on the floor, but repored an unusually good night's sleep.
I think the key is the very firm mat combined with the warmth: so the down filled way would seem to be the way.

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
for car camping its cool, just blankets would make a difference. a hide would work too or an old sleeping bag. its not ideal for anywhere that you have to carry it but getting to enjoy the camping is always the best thing.

Louis

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If you don't have to carry it far then the closed cell mat on top of the airbed really does make a tremendous difference to the comfort factor.
If I'm car camping in Winter I take along spare closed cell mats to line the tent floor beside my bed and a bit for sitting on where I work in the porch.

cheers,
M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Blanket or non compressible synthetic bag, they always stay warmer beneath you than down.

Not with the exped down mat. It's down filled in among the air channels, and that stops it compressing.
I agree about the sleeping bag in general though. That said, the old feather beds beat all of them hands down for warmth and comfort.

cheers,
Toddy

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I'm often a little chilly on an uninsulated airmat under 6C or so. I use a reflective foam mat underneath the airmat to get me comfortably down to well below zero. The foam provides some protection to the mat from punctures.

Foam works well on top but reflective mylar coated mats promote condensation and should be used upside down or beneath the airmat.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Putting it there is one thing - keeping it there, in the real world, is quite another. Put it under the air mattress and it'll stay there and not sound like a thousand salt and vinegar packets; it doesn't take much to heat up the air in the mattress.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Air bed, or IMHO even better camp bed with cheap foam mat on top, she will see a massive difference. . Being higher off the ground makes standing up easier too for those of us with back problems.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Note, if you can't justify the cost of a exped downmat, consider the synmat, it's not quite as warm, but for the UK in all but the coldest conditions, it's wonderful.

Julia

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I use an old sleeping bag of cotton filled with nasty wool batting.

It cost me £1 and I use it on top of the inflatable mattress and my camp bed. a good blanket would be a possible alternative, and you could pin it round with blanket pins

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
Im a big bloke with 2 problem discs who sleeps badly. My big find was my Thermarest Neoair.

It supports me, is firm enough to be like my orthopaedic mattress back home and is well insulated. I've now used it on the ground and in my hammock and it's just excellent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE