Advise on DSLR.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Guys, we would like to get my Daughter a good but reasonable price DSLR camera for her 18th.
Not entry level as it would soon become limited so something mid-range ish.
Any help with types, model #'s and functions would be most appreciated.
One where the lenses can be swapped and not of a fixed type.
Many thanks in advance.

garethw

Settler
Hi there
I've used Canon since they first brought out the EOS 1 range. As a pro I used the top end EOS 1.. both film & digital.
Since I've had to buy the cameras myself.. for my own stuff I've been very satisfied with the EOS 30D. Nowadays with new models the equivalent would be the 70D... even a 60D (which I believe you ca still get) would be an excellent choice.

This model has all the functions you'd need from the pro range in a smaller, alloy body.. but is not plasticy like the 650D range.

What I would say though is don't bother with the kit lens that comes with these cameras... try to get just a body and opt for a better quality constant aperture F4 or F2.8 mid range zoom. A 24-70 F2.8 or a 24-105 F4 would be useful focal lengths to start off with.
These cameras are quite pricey, but well worth the money... they also shoot awesome video too.

Can't help with Nikon as not used them since the F4.

Regards
Gareth

It depends on your budget and how much interest your daughter has in photography.

I have been using a Canon EOS 400D with an 18-55mm kit lens (plus a 55-250mm) for the last 7 years and it has done me very well. Especially for learning about taking photographs and using the different modes. It is only now I am reaching the limit of what the camera can do for me and possibly looking to upgrade it sometime this year to either a Canon EOS 60D or 70D.

If I knew a bit more at the time about photography I would have opted out of the kit lens and went for another one.

The entry level cameras are pretty good, from what I have read there isn't too much different between the EOS 650D and the EOS 700D. I also wouldn't be too worried about it becoming limited too soon.

troutman

Nomad
May 14, 2012
North East (UK)
Personally I am a Nikon man. How much do you intend to spend? The bottom of their range starts with the D3300 (although there are still the older 3100, 3200 hundreds knocking about which if its just for starting out is what I would go with). I say this as its not a huge initial outlay for someone to then decide that a DSLR may not be for them. If you do decide to upgrade in the future the cash can go towards this or initially on separate lenses to give her full versatility. Also the extra cash from buying an entry model will possibly give you funds left over to buy post processing software.

If you want to spend more their next level entry camera is the D5300. Also Nikon Cashback is still on offer, but you will have to hurry.

If your willing to spend a little more then the D7100 would be an ideal mid level DSLR. Personally I prefer Nikons 18-55mm kit lens as opposed to the Canon but its each to their own...
http://www.jessops.com/cameras/digital-slr-cameras/nikon

Last edited:

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
What is the purpose of the camera especially what type of subject.

Is she going to happy lugging around a DSLR?

I would recommend a CSC myself and going to a camera shop and seeing what feels right. For instance some people hate Nikon but love canon (I use neither myself).
For a CSC the likes of Olympus, Panasonic, Fuji and Sony are all superb. Canon CSC cameras focusing is slow sluggish its unreal considering there reputation in a DSLR. Nikon CSC cameras leave you baffled too due to the sensor size compared to what they do with DSLR's.
Though it does matter what subject is on the menu.

I use a DSLR but will end up with a CSC.

The following were shot with my compact camera.

Partorn beach sunset 3 by alf.branch, on Flickr

Witehaven hoarbour sunset 2 by alf.branch, on Flickr

Looking along Derwent water by alf.branch, on Flickr

troutman

Nomad
May 14, 2012
North East (UK)
What is the purpose of the camera especially what type of subject.

Is she going to happy lugging around a DSLR?

I would recommend a CSC myself and going to a camera shop and seeing what feels right. For instance some people hate Nikon but love canon (I use neither myself).
For a CSC the likes of Olympus, Panasonic, Fuji and Sony are all superb. Canon CSC cameras focusing is slow sluggish its unreal considering there reputation in a DSLR. Nikon CSC cameras leave you baffled too due to the sensor size compared to what they do with DSLR's.
Though it does matter what subject is on the menu.

I use a DSLR but will end up with a CSC.

This is a valid point and for city photography I agree. There are limitations to CSC cameras but then there are with DSLRs too. I use a Panasonic CSC which is fantastic! Fujifilm would be my second choice. Maybe you could consider a CSC as interchangeable lenses make them versatile.

Bucephalas

Jan 19, 2012
Chepstow, Wales
You can get a Nikon D300s for a great price used. Rated at 150,000 actuations, most that come up on Ebay have around 5000 actuation so plenty of life in them.
As said, it all depends on budget. A 24.70 2.8 lens will set you back over a grand but get a 50mm 1.8 and a 90mm 1.8 along with the kit lens and you have plenty of flexibility and cash in your pocket.

almac

Forager
Oct 13, 2010
Okanagan, BC CANADA
agreed on the D300.
they are a great camera and will give your daughter a lot of options.
DX lenses are RELATIVELY inexpensive, compared to FX.
another option would be a simple D80 with a 50mm f1.8.

best of luck. :)

Gents many thanks for the great response.
I will look at the link provided and also some of the prices (most importantly).
My Daughter seems to be fairly keen about taking photos, perhaps not becoming rabidly so but a decent camera would be a bonus.
Also perhaps I may be able to use it to get some decent birding photos.

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Alf- superb images!
What sort of compact do you use?

These were shot with my Olympus XZ-1. This has been superseded by the XZ-2. Other options are Panasonic LX7 Fuji X-20 and sony RX100 which are all very competitive with each other.

It should be noted that you can get a budget DSLR may well cost less than most CSC cameras.

I have nothing to add to the sound advice already given, but wow Alf, some seriously nice shots for a compact!

The camera is only a tool to get a job done knowing how to use it makes a lot of difference.

Imagedude

Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
I've just purchased a 'bottom of the range' Nikon D3200 SLR. I was looking for a new compact camera but the Nikon was cheaper than many compacts, smaller than some and takes better pictures than just about any compact or mirrorless system camera. It has more bells and whistles than any pro SLR that I would have been using 20 years back. Before buying a SLR you first need to select the lenses that you need then buy a body that will work with them.

Lots of good advice here. I consider myself a pretty decent photog and I currently use the D7000 from Nikon but have been tempted by mirrorless cameras (CSC). D3XXX or D5XXX will do mostly all the same things, but in a smaller package, and you might have to go into a menu or something. Ken Rockwell is a great resource for this sort of stuff.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/recommended-cameras.htm

Jinsin456

Settler
Nov 14, 2010
Maybole, Scotland
I bought a 600D at the start of last year and then upgraded to a 60D in September. The 60D feels so much better than the 600, not dramatic difference in image quality as it is the same sensor fundamentally but it's just so much nicer to use. Think the high ISO noise reduction is slightly better on the 60D too :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE