advice on machetes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Please can I have a bit of advice about machetes? There are lots on E-Bay but | don't have any info to go on. Is there an ideal length for someone like me (ie old, weak and female). I see that there are various lengths and types of steel. I need one for trimming back woodland at the side of my land - my samuri sword would like a rest!

RobG

Oct 19, 2006
MD, USA
Others may certainly have different opinions, but I know a lot of folks like a 12" Ontario that has been converted to a convex grind.

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
Please can I have a bit of advice about machetes? There are lots on E-Bay but | don't have any info to go on. Is there an ideal length for someone like me (ie old, weak and female). I see that there are various lengths and types of steel. I need one for trimming back woodland at the side of my land - my samuri sword would like a rest!

If its undergrowth and light brush then a 14" martindale if you require something more robust then the Golock they are both well balanced and a joy to use have a look on the Martindale site hope this helps

seany boy

Nomad
Mar 21, 2006
Lincolnshire
Best tool for the Job.....
Hmmm..... Well I guess it really depends on what your having to clear back,

also using any large blade should be done with caution and your question suggests you may lack some experience, it may be worth having a quick read through this article from Outdoors-Magazine.....

http://outdoors-magazine.com/s_article.php?id_article=11

I have a Ralph Martindale No2 Golok which although crude is quite effective (like this one).

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ralph-Martind...ryZ16042QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Depending on what you have to clear it may be worth thinking about using a folding saw,
even quite cheep ones can be very efficient and a whole lot safer...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss...earch-alias=garden&field-keywords=folding+saw

A good alternative to a machete is the billhook, and i know these are often recommended

http://www.woodsmithstore.co.uk/shop/Products/Tools/Billhooks/Product/Morris+Newtown+Billhook/

Hope this helps.

Shepard

Tenderfoot
Jul 31, 2006
Norway
Something very lightweight while balanced, easily sharpened (soft steel), and a good handle (grip tape?)

Only used a 9" laplander, not big machetes but then again very versatile(sp?) and easy to work with.

Good luck on your purchase!

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Welcome Storyteller Lady. Very good to see you here.:You_Rock_
I think what people are saying is although everyone has thier own favourites, if you go for something 12 - 14 inches of blade length you wont go too far wrong. The rest is up to your personal preferences.
Please do be careful, I know you said you have experience using a samuri sword :eek: but smaller blades have a tendancy to spin round in the hand if you're not holding them securly and can catch you if you're not carefull. Or the other thing to watch is the follow through - with a long blade if you miss it will normally hit the ground before your leg, with a smaller blade it's normally your leg that comes first ! Think about the swing and the 'what if' possibles before you do it, that way you can put yourself in a position that's not in harms way.

Me I like bill hooks - but that's just me!

Take care

Mark

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
This is going to sound dull, but I'd like to emphasise the safety aspects a little. If you are as you say, 'old' and 'weak', then I respectfully suggest that you leave large blades well alone. One doesn't necessarily need strength to make the cuts, but one does need some strength to properly control a large blade, and with a great deal of attention to the 'follow-through' (where the blade travels after it has made the cut).

I don't wish to sound patronising, or be a 'wet blanket' but machetes are very dangerous when sharpened correctly.

Best regards,
Paul.

Tourist

Settler
Jun 15, 2007
Northants
Hi, I started a Japanese pruning saw thread a while back and the concensus from arboreal professionals was that they are marvellous and should be used in place of Machetes for loping off limbs and branches.

Personally, having used a machete in the military I know it is damned hard work and my short experinece of jap pruning saws has convinced me to invest in one for myself.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
I know they are cheapies, but the Tramontina machetes are very light and fast. They also hold an edge better than you would expect for a tenner ;) You may need to reshape the hadnle unless you have gorilla hands :D

woodstock

Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
i would reccomend 12" blade, you can do just as much with it as the 18" ;)

I think not, have you ever tried clearing brambles with a 12" blade that extra 2" makes all the difference believe you me, I have used them for real not just for a weekend camp the gollock is ok for everyday use but the martindale comes into its own when clearing bush

Big John

Nomad
Aug 24, 2005
Surrey

My mate's got one of these - they're pretty good, very heavy duty (possibly a bit heavy for an old, weak, female?:p ), I'm thinking of getting one myself. I've used this seller before as well and had no problems.

The other type I've seen is longer with a kind of bulbus end if you see what I mean - the one I used was very thin bladed, maybe ok for clearing brambles and nettles, but not much heavier I would say.

woodstock

Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
My mate's got one of these - they're pretty good, very heavy duty (possibly a bit heavy for an old, weak, female?:p ), I'm thinking of getting one myself. I've used this seller before as well and had no problems.

The other type I've seen is longer with a kind of bulbus end if you see what I mean - the one I used was very thin bladed, maybe ok for clearing brambles and nettles, but not much heavier I would say.
Don't underestimate the martindale they are heavy duty tools capable of rough clearing

tedmagnum

Tenderfoot
Nov 19, 2006
Wirral
I know they are cheapies, but the Tramontina machetes are very light and fast. They also hold an edge better than you would expect for a tenner ;) You may need to reshape the hadnle unless you have gorilla hands :D

I agree. I have bought 3 of these as they are only £10 off ebay.

Mine have been used and abused and still look good and lasting well.

The steel is hard and holds a good edge. The sheath is cheap plastic and the handle is cheap wood but it will last you at least 1-2 years of regular use.

I use mine to strip branches off hard british trees and even for general gardening and weed clearing.

Machettes are generally cheap and disposable in most parts of the world so why spend a fortune !!!!!

I will have one strapped to my motorcycle luggage box on my way around South America this winter.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE