Canoe Advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
Right then.
I've pretty much made up my mind to buy a canoe.
But what I would appreciate advice on is some legal matters.
Namely, is any kind of licence needed?
Also, can you launch from anywhere you like (presuming you are allowed to use that particular stretch of river)?
Is there a website/list/database of stretches of water one is allowed to use without asking permission from someone (a bit like OAL, but for water)?

I know advice threads can often draw a lot of unsolicited advice so I'd be very grateful if you could limit yourself to answering those questions and not questions you think/want me to ask. Equally, clear and concise answers would be really appreciated as well.

Cheers.

Reactions: Stew

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Theoretically, yes, you need a licence to canoe on navigable waterways in the UK. However, a lot of people don't bother. My advice would be to join the British Canoeing Association
or Canoe Wales in Wales. Both give you licence for all UK relevant waterways and public liability insurance. They also provide lists of rivers and lakes that are canoeable.

You should be aware that there is contention over who has rights to waterways in the UK. The letter of the law would suggest that all rivers and canals are navigable; the owners of the riparian rights argue not. There is ongoing debate and disagreement. But, even if a river is navigable you do not have the right to enter or exit using private property so there are specific launch sites for many rivers. Having said that, I have never been challenged for getting out along a river.

All canals are navigable of course and are a good place to start.

I know you haven't asked, but I would advise getting a few basic lessons; your paddling efficiency will be much better and you'll get far more enjoyment out of it.

Finally, have a look at Song of the Paddle - a good site and forum for anything to do with canoeing:

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Theoretically, yes, you need a licence to canoe on navigable waterways in the UK. However, a lot of people don't bother. My advice would be to join the British Canoeing Association
or Canoe Wales in Wales. Both give you licence for all UK relevant waterways and public liability insurance. They also provide lists of rivers and lakes that are canoeable.

You should be aware that there is contention over who has rights to waterways in the UK. The letter of the law would suggest that all rivers and canals are navigable; the owners of the riparian rights argue not. There is ongoing debate and disagreement. But, even if a river is navigable you do not have the right to enter or exit using private property so there are specific launch sites for many rivers. Having said that, I have never been challenged for getting out along a river.

All canals are navigable of course and are a good place to start.

I know you haven't asked, but I would advise getting a few basic lessons; your paddling efficiency will be much better and you'll get far more enjoyment out of it.

Finally, have a look at Song of the Paddle - a good site and forum for anything to do with canoeing:

Agreed - The BC (or whichever country suits) is the simplest way to get a licence. I’ve by SUPing for ~7 years and only got membership two years ago. I hadn’t previously mostly from ignorance. Since starting whitewater SUP I got it to provide a level of insurance. Worth thinking on for that!
I’ve never been questioned for a licence and don’t know anyone that has. It’s worth thinking on that the money helps with upkeep.

Reactions: Ozmundo

birchwood

Nomad
Sep 6, 2011
Kent
You don't need a licence for tidal sections of rivers. Some canals are under different authorities so you need a local licence as they are not covered by the BCA. For instance the Royal Military canal and one in London leading to the river Lea area ( forget the name at the mo) .
I have been asked for my licence on the Medway and a few places on the Thames.
Also be aware of navigation rules ie. What side of the river you are supposed to be on.

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
You don't need a licence for tidal sections of rivers. Some canals are under different authorities so you need a local licence as they are not covered by the BCA. For instance the Royal Military canal and one in London leading to the river Lea area ( forget the name at the mo) .
I have been asked for my licence on the Medway and a few places on the Thames.
Also be aware of navigation rules ie. What side of the river you are supposed to be on.
True enough. There’s always exceptions - I paddled the Beaulieu River a few years ago and was surprised to find you need to pay as it’s privately owned!

Reactions: birchwood

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
You used to get a sticker from the bcu fit your kayak or canoe with your waterways licence. That was before the body covering most canals and navigations was transferred to a charity from state body. IIRC back then BCU licence was with our through that body.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE