Advice on Fiskars axes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bandel4

Forager
Nov 19, 2008
Malaysia
www.sepuh-crafts.com
Hi...I have been contemplating the idea of an axe.
GB is out of the question coz they cost too much for me.

One of the local hardware stores in Malaysia now carries Fiskars products.
Am contemplating the below.

The 14" hatchet
7850_t.jpg

The 8" hatchet
7855_t.jpg

The Brush Axe seems like a billhook, caught my attention as well but this unit I have to order :(
7860_t.jpg

Can anyone share their personal experience using them?
Thoughts, comments please.

Many thanks in advance

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
I have the 8in hatchet. Mine came under the Gerber name but it is the same hatchet. the only difference is mine has an all black handle.

I keep mine in my truck all the time. I have bigger hatchets, but it will chop anything that you would ordinarily use a hatchet for.

I feel that the steel is superior to that of the other hatchets that I have and some of them are good ones including a Plumb.

The angle is nice on the blade for splitting and the back side can be used as a hammer, although I would only hammer on wood and not pound on steel if I were you.

Many people will look at the 8incher and think that it is too small but i disagree. I think the 14 incher is too long in the handle and will be clumsy feeling to use and difficult to carry on a belt or pack. To me it looks more like a mini-axe.

Remember, if we were wanting an axe, we would be looking at axes. If you can have the dealer let you pick it up and handle it for a bit. See how each of them feel in you hand. This will give you a fairly good idea as to whether or not they feel like you could use them for splitting kindling, trimming off branches etc. My Gerber was razor sharp when I got it.

Frankly, I don't see much use for the bush hook for most people. But I could be wrong. I have been in the past, at least according to my wife!

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I've got one of the little 8" ones, branded as Wilkinson Sword, bought cheap at the local garden centre. I often use it around the shoot, where I might need it either as an axe or a hammer. The balance is a bit different to a traditional axe, but it works well enough. I have been tempted to get the 14" one too, but don't really need it as I have others of a similar size.

I did wonder if the hollow handle on the 14" model would be a handy storage place for a few survival type items in a bag of some sort?

Dave

subedarmajor

Forager
May 25, 2008
winterton uk
I've got the brush hook and it's alright so far for light chopping and splitting.
This week I've been using it to rough out some carving projects in beech.
I also used it to split the the log (about 3-4" diameter) and it's performed well.

Oh and I haven't broken it yet. ;-)

Cheers, Alan.

P.S. It'll also feather wood if you put a good edge on it, it is a little cumbersom for the job but it'll do it.

bandel4

Forager
Nov 19, 2008
Malaysia
www.sepuh-crafts.com
Hi Chinkapin...I will take your advise on 'trying' out the hatchet. I was thinking the 8" would be more compact too. Am thinking of using it mainly for some carving and chopping.

Dave...good idea with the hollow handle. I was thinking of shoving an 'extension' piece if I ever need to make the 8" longer. You reckon that would work? Heck, having a small kit stuffed away inside is a brilliant!

Alan...Fiskars says the brush axe comes with a sheath but they never include the sheath on their site. Any chance of pics?

Pavaise

Aug 27, 2009
Surrey
I've got one of the little 8" ones, branded as Wilkinson Sword, bought cheap at the local garden centre.

Same here, mine was very sharp when I got it and still has a good edge. Balance and grip is not the best but for the size/type/price it's been a winner for me. I do have several others though so don't need to depend on it alone.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
My brother carries a Gerber/Fiskars axe when he deploys to Norway. He reckons it is a great tool for smashing through ice for fishing and water collection.

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
...... good idea with the hollow handle. I was thinking of shoving an 'extension' piece if I ever need to make the 8" longer. You reckon that would work? Heck, having a small kit stuffed away inside is a brilliant!......

I really would not be inclined to extend the (hollow) shaft of the 8" hatchet by "shoving an 'extension' piece" into it!

subedarmajor

Forager
May 25, 2008
winterton uk
Alan...Fiskars says the brush axe comes with a sheath but they never include the sheath on their site. Any chance of pics?

It's not a "sheath" as such, more of a hanging/carrying bracket that can be mounted to a wall.

It's black plastic with a clip that retains the blade and a lug that fits through the hole in the blade.

I'll post some pics later.

I got mine at B&Q so if they're at your local store they should have the sheath.

Cheers, Alan.

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
The sheath on my Gerber is made of heavy Codura (sp?) nylon. The hatchet drops into the sheath handle first and there is a hole in the bottom for the handle to come through. The blade is completely surrounded by the sheath and a flap closes over the top and velcros shut. There are belt loops on the back for carrying it on your belt. It does carry quite nicely.

I don't think that you should attempt to extend the handle under any circumstances as it will undoubtedly fly off and probably hurt you or someone else.

I found my handle to be entirely too slick. Frankly, I don't know what they were thinking when they approved that handle. Mine has flew out of my had several times. I cured this problem by wrapping the handle with some fairly small, but strong nylon cord that I had. It made a grip that was not slippery or cold and had a much better "tactile" feel about it. Unless you have REALLY big hands paracord it too thick to use - - i tried it first, and the handle was simply too thick and didn't feel right in my hand.

The handle as a storage area is a good idea. I toyed with this idea myself, but could never come up with a way of closing up the hole in the bottom that was "elegant" enough to suit me. everything I tried just looked too cobbled up. There are some other brands of hatchets that have a very similar hollow handle with a knife that stores in the handle. Quite clever really.

subedarmajor

Forager
May 25, 2008
winterton uk
I found my handle to be entirely too slick. Frankly, I don't know what they were thinking when they approved that handle. Mine has flew out of my had several times. I cured this problem by wrapping the handle with some fairly small, but strong nylon cord that I had.

You could also try the tape that tennis players use to bind their racket handles.

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
well i've got all the tools mentioned. actually i sold the miniature thing. the brush hook works great. it's much lighter than a billhook, it's a billhook shaped machete.

if you're specifically looking for a hatchet, i'd definately go for the 14 inch version. the little version is ok if you really can't store the normal hatchet sized handle. like in a seat pack survival kit or some such. in use the little "back pax" is a horror compared to the longer one. the dinky little handle is a shortcut to bruised and skinned knuckles.

the fiskars hatchets and axes are very under-rated tools. if anyone wants to moan about their lack of "balance". i'd have to point them in the direction of the new outdoors axe by gransfors, it's every bit as poorly balanced. but also a great little tool. the plastic handles are all but indestructable and completely weather proof. the other advantage with the fiskars axes is that you don't need to sit in front of a crate of them sifting through until you find a decent one, where the edge is parralel with the rest of the head and the head lines up with the helve satisifactorily. the fiskars axes are ready to go out of the box. they don't need a few hours of grinding to get straight.

there's a review round here somewhere with a few hints and tips on how to modify the plastic mask to make it a bit more rucksack friendly.

cheers, and.

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
Subedamajor: That Husky hatchet looks pretty nice for that price. I dont know if any of you have ever used any Japanese tools or not. but here is a pic of one: www.garrettwade.com/product.asp?pn=11P23.06&sid=W6600073&eid=Japanese

I have only used the garden tools. But to say that I love them would be an understatement. It is hard to describe Japanese tools. They are often made quite different than anything from Europe or America. They are light, small, yet sturdy and always very effective in what they do. I think I may get this hatchet.

subedarmajor

Forager
May 25, 2008
winterton uk
Subedamajor: That Husky hatchet looks pretty nice for that price. I dont know if any of you have ever used any Japanese tools or not. but here is a pic of one: www.garrettwade.com/product.asp?pn=11P23.06&sid=W6600073&eid=Japanese

I have only used the garden tools. But to say that I love them would be an understatement. It is hard to describe Japanese tools. They are often made quite different than anything from Europe or America. They are light, small, yet sturdy and always very effective in what they do. I think I may get this hatchet.

No, I've never used any Japanese tools. They do look nice and comfortable to use, however I'm on a bit of a home grown kick at the moment. ;)
I get very concerned about the amount of fuel used in geting things from A-B, though that is not a topic for this thread.

I also like to explore the possibilities of tools from current locale.

I've not heard the term "husky hatchet" before, are you refering to the bill hook or the long handled hatchet?

Cheers, Alan.

bandel4

Forager
Nov 19, 2008
Malaysia
www.sepuh-crafts.com
I just looked at your details...I don't think that they have a B&Q there do they?

Hi...nope. No B&Q here :(
The only place that carries the hatchet here at the moment is an upscale hardware store. Compared to the internet, I am looking at paying double after conversion!
Then again there's all the shipping & tax involved.

Thanks everyone for your comments & time.

I reckon I am gonna give it a go. Buy meself a birthday gift!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE