Advice on Fiskars axes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
Sorry about that "Husky" business. At one time, Husqvarna dominated in off road motorcycle racing, Baja 1000, Six-day trials, enduros, etc here in America and everyone just called them "Huskies" for short. I rudely forgot that not everyone would be familiar with that slang. Sorry.

On the other hand, I'm still trying to figure out where "Moot" comes from for a group camping meet, and exactly what a "bimble" is. LOL.

subedarmajor

Forager
May 25, 2008
winterton uk
Chinkapin: Not to worry old chap!

To the best of my knowledge (which is admitedly a little sparce in some areas), "moot" is a throwback to old or middle english meening meet.

A "bimble" is basicly the same as a ramble, though in my book it has less purpose and is therefore greatly superior ;). It's origins I believe are military (Brit) and refer to patrolling, particularly in the countryside.

If I'm wrong on either count I'm sure someone will step in to put me straight.

Cheers, Alan.

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
Thanks Subedamajor, I should have made the connection to "meet." I'm always fascinated with word origins. Slang words are also very fascinating (at least those that last) many seem to come and go quite quickly. American English is filled with slang expressions and I thought we might have more than anyone until I started being a regular on this website! I think British English has just about as many.

I'm particularly fascinated with those that have migrated across the Atlantic (both directions.) I occasionally see Brits on here using slang expressions that originated here and I hear and use words that came from your side. For example just a couple of years ago one would never have heard an American say "shut your pie hole" or "shut your gob" but I have heard both recently. As far as I know these are both Britishisms.

subedarmajor

Forager
May 25, 2008
winterton uk
We've borrowed/stolen a lot of words from the far flung corners of the former empire.
Take kushti and kosher for example. The former is from Urdu and refers to something that is good or favourable and kosher is Hebrew in origin referring to something that is of sound provenance.

Cheers, Alan. (Now finished derailing the thread)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE