Advice newbie kit wise

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

diviy

Mar 23, 2016
swansea
If you see my post in the introduction pagehttp://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=138853 it shows I have a camper but I want to do wild camping, But I have to sleep in the van due to a severe back condition. I found some site`s where I can camp close to the outdoors but have access to the camper to sleep.
So I am looking for advice on kit needed my list consists of the following
Knife
Axe/machette
Folding saw
Tarp
Rope
Cooking kit
Fire starter kit (allready got that

Can you give me any advice of any other essential item I would need

Being medically retired and money being very tight. I am looking for the best value for money kit or where to get second hand kit been looking through Ebay so if anyone could recommend any makes and a rough idea what to pay.

Many thanks Gerry

adestu

Native
Jan 19, 2010
swindon
Hi bud
Knife...mora classic
Axe....most go for a granfors bruks or hulfgors.anything Scandinavian. But whatever holds a decent edge and feels comfortable.
Folding saw....keep a look out in lidl or aldi on yhe special buy section.
Tarp.....again the popular choice is the dd range.there is or was a bulk buy going on
Rope....paracord is probably the most useful and versatile.ebay has rolls for about 10quid.
Cooking kit......if your sleeping in yhe van id use what you already have.get round some carboots you could find all of the above.
Consider buying at bootsales and selling at a profit.buy what you know is a bargin.

Big G

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 3, 2015
Cleveland UK
Keep an eye on the Member Classifieds on here, users selling the gear they don't use anymore.

Some bargains to be had, if ya quick :)

tsitenha

Nomad
Dec 18, 2008
Kanata
On your person, small day pack, heavy duty space blanket, compass, rain poncho that can double as a tarp, some light cordage (550), metal canteen, first aid kit, metal cup instead of cooking kit, no axe unless specifically needed.
Emergency and day ration(s)

Apr 12, 2014
middle earth
Gerry, if you need something and can't find it, or stretch your hard earned to it, give me a pm and if I have it spare, its yours, no strings buddy.

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
If you see my post in the introduction page

Knife

Mora companion, about £13 ish

Axe/machette

What are you planning to do with the tool?, in most cases i'v found a folding saw to be far more appropriate to a cutting task than an axe or machete. The bacho laplander has a very fond following nearly everywhere, i use a Fiskars version myself which i find to be very good. Their axes are also excellent, and relatively cheap.

Folding saw

As above

Tarp

Pick up one of the issued bashas cheap on ebay. £20 should get you a near mint condition one, with possibly free postage.

Rope

Pound shops are your friend. My local ones has packed of "utility rope" (poly rope) in 30m lengths for a quid. Nothing fancy, but does come in a nice red colour that's easy to see.

Cooking kit

What are you planning to cook? If its just a quick overnight out then a cheap gas stove with a couple of aluminium pots is hard to beat. Look for the cheap gas stoves in places like B&M, these are large enough to fit pots on with a good amount of stability, and the gas cylinders are cheap as chips.

A few lighters & some tinder. I like the dryer lint mixed with wax idea, but then i have a dryer here so get easy access to it, bu there's hundreds of tinder ideas out there.

Many thanks Gerry

Hope some of this helps.

Tonyuk

Brynglas

Don't be put off by the comparatively low price of the Mora's as an identifier of their quality. This photo is of a Mora that I was given in Sweden in 1987, I wouldn't say it's still going strong as its taken a lot of abuse over the years. I bought a replacement from Heinnie the other week and it cost about a tenner.
fe2c2000acb78ecb30714f249c782ddb.jpg

Also, you'll see a LOT of chat about pots, pans, bashas/bivvys and all sorts of other stuff here. This is great, and very useful but not essential. If your using your camper to sleep I'd guess that a small pot/ steel mug to brew up with and a knife to do some carving with if you fancy would do you. A firesteel and some plasters for when you cut yourself with the knife (everyone does) is more than enough to get out for a bit.

After that it's whatever interests you, I can't carve a spoon for toffee but my foraging, plant ID and wildlife tracking skills are good so that's what I practice.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
If you see my post in the introduction pagehttp://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=138853 it shows I have a camper but I want to do wild camping, But I have to sleep in the van due to a severe back condition. I found some site`s where I can camp close to the outdoors but have access to the camper to sleep.
So I am looking for advice on kit needed my list consists of the following
Knife
Axe/machette
Folding saw
Tarp
Rope
Cooking kit

Can you give me any advice of any other essential item I would need

Being medically retired and money being very tight. I am looking for the best value for money kit or where to get second hand kit been looking through Ebay so if anyone could recommend any makes and a rough idea what to pay.

Many thanks Gerry

Hi Gerry,

You don't "need" anything on your list. Don't let the romantic notions of bushcraft and camping in the wilderness tell you otherwise. The reality is that you will be car camping and any kit you choose to use is going to be because you want to use it, or fancy the idea, not because you need it. The possible exception being something to cook on and something to cook in.

You most certainly do not need a sheath knife, axe, machete or folding saw. There aren't that many places where you can cook on a fire and unless you have permission to be cutting stuff you may be on shaky legal ground with an axe or machete. If you have a pocket knife, that will do most things you need to do. The Mora is only there for making open fires and whittling craft projects because you want to.

A tarp is nice to give you a dry area outside your camper in which to sit, cook and eat. If you have back trouble, don't look at any tarp smaller than 3x3m, better yet, 4x3 (coverage vs height, bigger tarp gives better cover without having to crouch). If you get a smaller tarp it will only really be good for taking with you to sit under during the day if it is raining. Not a bad idea, but you are more likely to appreciate a bigger camp size tarp.

Rope, I don't often see reason for rope unless you are in a group and need to rig group shelters. String is easy, 550 paracord, 3mm accessory cord, and arborist throw line. 3m for guy lines, 10m for ridge lines, pocket string from 1m to 5m.

If you want a project, a Coke can stove is not bad and very cheap. I have used one on a number of trips and as long as all you want is to boil, they work well enough.

Bottom line is that you don't need "bushcraft" gear to camp, especially to car camp. If you have been camping, and thought that you want to do XYZ activity, and that requires a knife, or string, or a tarp, then you know what you want next. There is no need to invest in any kind of bushcraft tool kit before you learn what you will actually use. Not trying to be a downer, but my experience has been that I have only used all the stuff on your list when I have been out for a week, with a group, away from civilisation with limited vehicle access, in an area where we have permission to chop up wood and have open fires, none of which has been in England or Wales.

diviy

Mar 23, 2016
swansea
Chris to be honest you have put a right downer on what I am trying to do, I have permission to cook on open fire gather wood cut wood etc .
There are no romantic notions what I want to do I am trying to broaden my experiences with a different type of camping you class me as a car camper where I class myself as some trying to learn new skills just because I am disabled does that mean I should not try a new experience with the safety net of having a camper van !
Lots of people are blessed with good health I am not but if I end up in a wheel chair at least I have tried, I am going to have a go at semi rough camping and not romantic camping as you put it at least I am trying can I get good photography's of wild life on a camping field or better one`s in a field or a forest set up .
Being disabled is something I would not wish on my worst enemy but I am trying to learn new things .
If anyone thinks I am wrong for trying please say and I will leave the forum if you think I am breaking the ethos of bush craft by having to sleep in a van due to my condition I class my van and bed as tools to travel and sleep and as I said everything else I want to do in the woods .

Gerry

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
Maybe a camo net for the van in case Chris is in the next field!

Don't be discouraged. Bushcraft is a very broad church and no one has yet found where the divide between what is and isn't lies.

Do your own thing. You may find that some have done similar before. There will certainly be those who find themselves with the same choices. For those who follow, share what you learn.

Z

Brynglas

Chris to be honest you have put a right downer on what I am trying to do, I have permission to cook on open fire gather wood cut wood etc .
There are no romantic notions what I want to do I am trying to broaden my experiences with a different type of camping you class me as a car camper where I class myself as some trying to learn new skills just because I am disabled does that mean I should not try a new experience with the safety net of having a camper van !
Lots of people are blessed with good health I am not but if I end up in a wheel chair at least I have tried, I am going to have a go at semi rough camping and not romantic camping as you put it at least I am trying can I get good photography's of wild life on a camping field or better one`s in a field or a forest set up .
Being disabled is something I would not wish on my worst enemy but I am trying to learn new things .
If anyone thinks I am wrong for trying please say and I will leave the forum if you think I am breaking the ethos of bush craft by having to sleep in a van due to my condition I class my van and bed as tools to travel and sleep and as I said everything else I want to do in the woods .

Gerry
Don't feel discouraged.

Bushcraft isn't all about how far into the wild you can go or how remote you can get. A skim through the posts on here will confirm that many enjoy and practice bushcraft at fixed base camps within close proximity to car parking, running water and latrines. That's fine, it's not necessarily my cup of tea but I wouldnt ever criticise or judge them on that. Many people seek to accumulate kit for the sake of it rather than their actual need for it, again that's great and who am I to judge or criticise for that.
Bushcraft skills cover a broad spectrum and are practiced by an equally broad spectrum of people.

Crack on, enjoy the outdoors in whatever safe and respectful way that you want to. Take no notice of anyone's opinion on how gnarly or otherwise your experiences may be. The main thing is that you're out there picking up new skills and enjoying the experience.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2016
PETERBOROUGH
Hi Gerry

Reading through your introduction you have experience of old so you know in your own head some things from your past.
My advice would be right down a list of kit you think you might need and read through as many reviews or youtube vids as to pros and cons, your kit is yours and yours alone after all.
I would also suggest trying to get out to a meet if you can, funkyprepper posted a vid on youtube about this years 300meet. It could be just what you need, you could camp in your van on the field and just a short walk away is the wooded area they are using, you could get out chat to everyone there face to face look at what they are using and even try some out first hand if they let you. For the most part the outdoors community are a friendly bunch who will be more than willing to help and you might make some good mates who could advise you.

Best of luck mate you've had it rough, you deserve to live your dream and enjoy your life.

Neil

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
Start with the 5 c's

cutting tool - Mora can be had for under a tenner

cover - I like the all weather space blanket - but I'm not a big guy and 5X7 suits me in all but the harshest weather

container - I like the stainless canteen sets but a USGI or Crusader set is just as good

cordage - paracord or bankline

combustion device - Firesteel when I cant be bothered flint and steel when I can -lighter when I'm too cold to want to impress my mates

beyond that I carry my wood burner stove if I can have an open fire and a first aid kit

Mr. F

May 2, 2012
Coaley, Gloucestershire
Hi Gerry,

As mentioned above, you don't "need" gear to be a "Bushcrafter" and you certainly don't want to go spending loads of money on stuff you're not sure about. But, saying that, there's absolutely nothing wrong with having a set of gear that makes you feel comfortable and assists you in what you want to do when camping out.

As you're starting out on a tight budget then here's my view on your list:

Knife - Mora of some description. £10.
Axe/machette - You don't really need an axe when you're starting out (or at all). If you feel you want one then a Hultafors Trekking Axe Classic won't do you wrong. I managed to get mine for £35.
Folding saw - Bahco Laplander. Around £16. It's the classic one that everyone owns. Although the Highlander Wolverine Folding Saw will do the job for less than £9.
Tarp - I believe you bought mine?
Rope - 550 Paracord. Get the real stuff. Around £7 for 100ft. The guys at thebushcraftstore.co.uk sell it by the foot. However, for building tripods and the like then Jute twine is good. It's really cheap and you can burn it once used or leave it to decompose if you have to.
Cooking kit - Can't go wrong with the good old Zebra pots. Although if you want a bottle and pot/cup I'd personally recommend the Pathfinder Pathfinder Bottle & Nesting Cup Set. It's £35 but it's very nice and will last a lifetime.
Fire starter kit - You've got that already.

Hope that helps in some way.

Steve

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Gerry,

I am sorry you read what I wrote as a downer on you participating and learning new skills. That was not my intent. I do not mean for "car camp" to be in any way derogatory. I often camp next to my vehicle, probably more often than I camp miles away from it.

I made my remarks because I have seen a lot of people think that they need to buy certain bushcrafty kit items in order to do bushcraft. Many people have complained on these very forums that people are gear obsessed. A lot of people seem to think that bushcraft is camping with an open fire and chopping up wood, particularly when they start out. There is a lot more to learning wilderness skills than that, or a lot more that you can learn without that, and you can get out and enjoy the countryside and learn stuff without buying much, certainly a lot less than what is often touted as the essential bushcraft kit.

All my remarks were meant to say that you can learn stuff without buying loads of gear, that you don't "need" special gear to camp and learn bushcraft skills and that there is a great weight of opinion that could lead a new comer to think that they can only participate if they have the right kit. Also, a lot of people buy gear because they have seen or read material that fires there imagination, but in reality they don't need. I have spent more than I care to think about on kit that is far better than I need to do what I do, camping, shooting, fishing, wood working. I like good quality kit and I have friends that get to do a lot of cool stuff and show me interesting gear. I have enough income, no other expensive vices and low enough commitments that if I blow money now and again on kit its not going to hurt too badly. You said you were on a budget.

You are getting a lot of good advice here for filling the kit list you stated with, at very good prices. If you take it, you will have a pretty good set of gear. I am sorry that you took my comments as discouragement.

Best of luck! Hope you get out and have a great time!!

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
OF all the stuff on the list, I reckon that the cooking kit is the hardest to get right. I started out with a 12cm Zebra billy since I went on a Woodlore course and that is what they recommended. Not a bad solution for cooking on an open fire, solid, sturdy, strong bale and the tall design means it isn't tippy when hung on the bale. I have also heard that the narrower shape helps avoid burned food when working with fire where it is easy to get too hot. Not sure about that, I managed to burn plenty in mine! Zebra billy was not so good for cooking on a stove since the bale tended to flop to one side where it would catch a lot of heat and it was right hard to pour out of. I eventually got rid of it since more and more of my cooking was being done on various stoves rather than fires and I wanted lighter and easier handling pots.

My buddy has had a Multi Pot for a long while and really loves it. Uses it on stoves and open fires, packs kit in it and uses it to wash in. Very multipurpose. Got it from these folks:
http://www.touring-gear.com/products/Multipots.html

Actually, that company has a lot of nice gear for the overland adventure crowd. Hey Gerry...you are not car camping, you are practicing Overland Adventures. :D

nic a char

Settler
Dec 23, 2014
scotland
"I have seen a lot of people think that they need to buy certain bushcrafty kit items in order to do bushcraft"
"you can learn stuff without buying loads of gear, that you don't "need" special gear to camp and learn bushcraft skills"
Hear hear!!
Read Ray Mears & others = DON'T learn the hard way...
Then, repair, adapt, upcycle, & use charity shops - even the gear fanatics can't agree on what's best!
Do what suits YOU, and what YOU enjoy - while leaving bushcraft "sites" at least as natural as you found them.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE