Adder in the hills

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
After meeting up with woodsman at a local archaelogy event up in our local hills where we were both demonstrating we decided to go for a wander the next day to catch up, chat and have a look for our local adders.

It was overcast but warm and the clouds soon dispersed. The view across to Ben Lomond was terrific. The small glen on the right is where we walked down to have an explore. There's ancient burial cairns nearby and lots of oak, hazel, willow, holly and birch making it feel like a very special and interesting place.
Burncrookadderssep09014.jpg

Burncrookadderssep09001.jpg

Woodsman saw my dog away in the distance sniffing an adder's tail:lmao: , the poor adder was just lying on a sunny bank sunbathing and got the fright of it's life and off it went at one heck of a pace!
Burncrookadderssep09017.jpg

Burncrookadderssep09019.jpg

Off into the rough stuff to hide!
Burncrookadderssep09026.jpg

This has been a great year for adder sightings, long may it continue...enjoy! :)

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Cool! I've never seen an adder in the wild, I'm hoping this comment will come back to haunt me in a few days! Reason being, I was at the Penistone Show at the weekend and got chatting to a fellah who makes walking sticks about this and that and he mentioned foxes. I haven't seen a fox around here for over a year and I do quite a bit of shooting around dusk and after dark in a semi rural area. That night, I went shooting with Scruff and there was a fox about twenty yards away from us! I also mentioned to one of the falconry guys tht we never see buzzards around here and I saw three yesterday! :rolleyes: I'll wake up tomorrow and there'll be an adder in my sock drawer!

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Next time? I've never been! That's pretty sad, isn't it? I need to get north soon, I've always found the Scots to be a pretty friendly bunch. Sure, there are the odd few Neds that spoil it for the majority but you get that everywhere! When I do get up, I'll take you up on that offer, I've seen lizards around where I live but no snakes at all. I once saw a grass snake in Poole when I was about 10.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
About a couple of feet. It's the longest one I've seen. This is a female and they are larger than the males.

I always thought they were big 8ft monsters until I saw a stuffed one at Harewood House on a school trip. It was probably the thing of they're the only venomous snake on our island and so you think to compare them to the big nasties in the jungle etc.

trewornan

Sep 24, 2005
UK
they're the only venomous snake on our island and so you think to compare them to the big nasties in the jungle etc.

Don't underestimate adders - a friend of mine got bitten on the ankle once and was in hospital almost a week and not fully recovered a month later. It's not like a bee sting. Beautiful animals though - last time I saw one was near Poole.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
You tend to see the majority of females about this time of year as they make their way back to the hibernacula sights to give birth, and bask more often and for longer. They will also be out and about hunting more after giving birth to build up the body fat they have lost during gestation.

Heres one of the tiny neonates that is only about one week old, just five inches long, he's sooo cute. Taken yesterday morning.

rgrw.jpg

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
we used to catch them when i was a kid up Hengistbury Head in Dorset, it was my local playground and you soon got used to seeing them about, there was one are that was hard to et to because of loads of old trenches (i heard they were from the war) but if you could get past them you could always find adders.

Seeing those pics bring back fond memories, that's a lovely snake :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE