Activities Scouts are not allowed to do

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Is there still the badge for good safe axe and knife useage ? Backwoodsman badge I think.
I was a cub, scout, sea scout, venture sea scout, Scout Ldr, Venture Scout Ldr.

Only now I wish had thanked my leaders more for the time they put into leading the troop. Thanks to all Ldrs who give up their time, for nothing, to young people.

Nick

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Just dug out my uniforms. Still got the Land Ldrs and the Venture Sea Scout tops. Can't find the itchy wooly sea scout jersey.

Any good websites to research camps I was on ? eg vcp wurttemberg bundeslager 1990

Nick

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
We also did a badge, as a leader setting it up, think it was a survival type badge. We dropped off some PLs on a small uninhabitated island off Achnacloich, Loch Etive. They had a sheath knife and all clothing. They had to survive for two nights !

Nick

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
Scouser living in Salford South UK
This all sounds very complicated to me but I haven't been a scout for about 25 years.
I can understand that to only allow folding blades is a convenient way to stop the knifecraze but isn't learning to use knife, axe, saw and rope the bread and butter of scouting any more?
What is the "mission statement" for the scout movement today?

"Whats the difference between the scouts and the brittish army?"
"Scouts don't have heavy artillery!"

:lmao:

Sorry but as a scout leader and an ex soldier,I have to say that our scouts are not trained in camouflage and concealment, escape and evasion, pyros, explosives/domolitions and we certainly dont encourage them to kill anyone

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
I ubderstood it was paintballing as others have said here.
Ther last time I did some training our district advice on knives was this 'knives to be kept in a locked, preferably steel box and only one knife is allowed out of the box at a time'.
And no knives not even SAKs on site or any activity, which is very limiting, and largely ignored.

But the Felling axe will be OK though:rolleyes:

I had our local campsite warden come up to me and say I could not carry my knife (he was joking though) so asked about the felling a few feet away then he laughed and pointed the other people on site were all coppers.

Rob

Need to contact Admin...
The archery rules are a bit of a challenge, especially when it comes to putting on some field archery.

The scouts used to make a lot of money from the National Field Archery Society, who used to use Scout land for some of their championships. Alas, now we just have to find other places to host them.

I really do think that the rules should be reviewed as they are really target archery biased. My understanding of the rule relating to field archery is that events will have to come under the insurance of the provider, with whatever restrictions have been placed on the activity with reference to coaching and supervision. In my opinion the archery leader qualification does not cover all of the potential aspects of archery in the woods and I would be looking for a field archery specific qualification. This will hopefully add more intracacy in the shooting done as the coach should have good knowledge of course laying as well.

You have to look at the areas of field archery that do not include animal targets (not just faces as 3Ds and 2Ds can not be used either).

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
We also did a badge, as a leader setting it up, think it was a survival type badge. We dropped off some PLs on a small uninhabitated island off Achnacloich, Loch Etive. They had a sheath knife and all clothing. They had to survive for two nights !

Nick

cor thats like being a youth in sparta - wouldn't be allowed now unless you have a full campsite next to them, satellite phone, 5 leaders, rescue boat and paramedic ready. form m, form w, form c, first aid cert and a note from your mum :)

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
Sorry but as a scout leader and an ex soldier,I have to say that our scouts are not trained in camouflage and concealment, escape and evasion, pyros, explosives/domolitions and we certainly dont encourage them to kill anyone

do your lot not read the anarchists cookbook then? I used to spend hours fending that off once the kids discovered the internet 10 years ago or so. :) I understand youtube now has videos too

my gsl loved the suggestion of the insurgency award when I brought it up :eek:

Spunyarn

Tenderfoot
Nov 11, 2008
UK
Have a word with your local army barracks. Most (or atleast some), of the PTIs their will be qualified enough to take the little darlings and through them over any army obstacle course (Civilian Users or Army Obstacle Course). Fun for all, and good for future recruiting. :)

was told by my Dad today (hes been a leader for a very long time)

its in the constituion or rules etc Scouts are not allowed to us e a knife with a blade over 3" :eek: lucky they make sliced bread if thats true and guess thats clippers out then
I assume leader have to conform the the same rules and best BG doens use his own knife when in new Cheif scout uniform :lmao:

ATB

Duncan

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
There are lots of myths about what scouts can and can't use/carry in the way of knives. So much so I was asked to write an article for it in the Scout magazine a while ago!

The official word is quite grey, but basically scouts are no longer allowed to carry a knife (doesn't say whether it is fixed, folding or lock) to a normal meeting or on camp unless the leaders have given them prior permissioon to do so on account of them needing to use it for specific tasks (such as food prep or shelter building, etc)

It used to be part of the rules that a knife was worn on teh belt as part of the uniform. Now it is that a knife should not be carried unless it is needed and permission has been given. But it is still a part of teh scouting life. They still have plenty of badges ot work for that require the use of a knife, axe, saw, etc

Whether individual groups allow the scouts to own or use particular types of knife is down to those leaders. Some may be happy with the kids carrying a street legal pocket knife to meetings (as long as they are not flashing it around then I would because they are not breaking the law and the Offcicial Regs just say "knife", which I take to mean a fixed blade as that does have a legal implication for carrying it)

My scout group have just finished making their very own knives and while I'm not letting them bring them along to meetings, I will find plenty of good reasons for them to use them. that way they become mundain objects not something excitnig to flash about.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE