A walk in the woods with Ray Mears - only 4 places left at the mo

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
:yikes:

I passed up tickets for an evening with Billy Conolly because I thought that £35 was a bit steep. Seems like pretty good value now.

Right, I'm off to find some threads on homemade gear and what's cheap at Lidl!

Z

Jinsin456

Settler
Nov 14, 2010
Maybole, Scotland
:yikes:

I passed up tickets for an evening with Billy Conolly because I thought that £35 was a bit steep. Seems like pretty good value now.

Right, I'm off to find some threads on homemade gear and what's cheap at Lidl!

Z

He's going to make a lot more than £7000 doing that though and for a lot less time. I do agree that famous people do exploit their fame and make it harder for people to see them live etc but such is our climate that some people will pay it and they an get away with it.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Just a reminder that a full weekend of bushy skills and a hearty laugh are available free of charge with me and my pals.

My pals being most of the contributors on here already, ok, so not quite free, bring your own provisions.......

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Whilst many like to knock Ray. He has proved a great ambassador for Bushcraft over the years and has inspired many to get out and discover the joy of practising traditional skills.

I'm just jealous that I can't fill a day course at £350 a head the power of television.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
I'm just skint Wayne, like most of us...

seen this sort of stuff in the wildlife and birdwatching arena, only those with the spare pounds being able to do it,being the recently retired and finding time to do what they've seen on tv.

I'm sarcy old clown though....

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Surely that's £35 not £350!

No, £350, about the same price as eight Trangia storm cookers :)

I can' believe some of you lot who are in effect slagging off Ray for making his living, makes me sick to the teeth to be honest, grow up and get a life. How many well known TV/writers/celebrities, an expert in their field, will spend time with a group of twenty for £7000. Not a lot who are at his level.

The wife and I had two nights in London back in September, the hotel bill was £460, plus theatre tickets, plus train tickets, plus dinner and supper plus taxi's plus drinks...came to more than £700 for two of us I can assure you. Some folk here think I'm a cheap git, I'm not...but I do recognise value for money which is more than some of the people here seem to do.

East Coaster

Forager
Oct 21, 2008
Fife/Scotland
At first i thought, whoa that is a bit steep!
Then I remembered that some stupid bint with a funny voice from the X factor or something got £15,000 simply for turning up and turning on christmas lights somewhere. Maybe £7000 for spending quality time with 20 people for several hours aint too bad in that respect.
However, I'm not all that sure I'd be wanting to spend that much time with people who are prepared to spend £350 for what is effectively, a walk in the woods.
Think it could all end up being a wee bit too middle class for my liking.

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
At least Dick Turpin had the decency to wear a mask.

E24.jpg

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
Ray is a decent bloke who has done well for himself, its a shame that this is one of the few courses he teaches nowadays.
personaly i dont think its the way to go if you want to be "enlightend with the spirit of bushcraft" or some rubbish, if you want a bushcraft experience go on a decent course or get out there and do the do, if you want to meet a celeb so badly your willing to sell a kidney then i suppose this is all good, as many have said the price seems steep, but that's what people will pay for to star spot.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
A night at river cottage (2 hours) £85 per-person (does not include HFW)
A game prep (all day) £320 per person (does not include HFW)
Bread making with Raymond Blanc (all day ) £505 does not include Raymond Blanc)
Shellfish with Rick Stein (0900 1630) ( £195 Does not include Rick Stein)
I think you get the picture
:p

The fact the courses are full or nearly shows that the price is commercially acceptable

If the prices where high Woodlore would have to either drop the price or go out of business They haven't so the business model works

any body here at the end of the week say to the boss "Hey you know what here is 90% of my pay back in fact next week I will work for free"

or do you keep pushing for a pay rise cos you never get enough for the effort put in after 20+yrs in the job

its not as tho there is no other alternative pretty much any thing Woodlore does or sells is available cheaper and as good all over the country so there is choice in the market but it all still sells and Ray is the USP only available at Woodlore

ATB

Duncan

Jinsin456

Settler
Nov 14, 2010
Maybole, Scotland
The fact that Woodlore don't have to really advertise anywhere (Or I've never seen any) shows the position they are in the market. People are coming to them and thats a good position to be in and to a certain extent you can charge as much as you like.

gsfgaz

Jul 19, 2009
Hamilton... scotland
Just a reminder that a full weekend of bushy skills and a hearty laugh are available free of charge with me and my pals.

My pals being most of the contributors on here already, ok, so not quite free, bring your own provisions.......
Now that is a better night oot , and a great laugh ...

Whittler Kev

Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
SWMBO asked if I wanted to go but it wasn't the cash that was the factor (or it may have been a bit) it was the fact that I can't walk all day.
The idea of the thread was to let people know there were places availableNOT GIVE RM A BASHING FOLKS.
Let the man earn a living and by gawd you should learn a lot. Like it says your day will be based around the resources available
I wish I could charge a tenth of that to show folks how to bash metal but... there you go

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE