A vision of hell

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
Here's hoping they won't urbanize the whole world, so there's still an outdoors to escape to every now and again.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Why shouldn't cities evolve ? Ours are a vast improvement on those of the past. I too like the farmscrapers :) Fruit and veg on the doorstep :cool:

My eldest son lives in the city; it'd do my head in, but he and 100's of 1,000's are quite happy living there.
Different strokes, different folks.

cheers,
Toddy

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Cities can evolve for sure...but three quarters of the worlds population in cities...doing...what exactly? Not producing food, or fuel or raw materials certainly. I fear that as cities grow, so will the trapped "inner city poor"

As for farm scrapers...as a guy who grows stuff...they are a daft idea...how much water do they need? Far more than falls on them! Where does the soil come from? The manure? Should we transport the soil, the manure, the water to a city skyscraper to grow food? What's so wrong with the Mark I field? You know, where the rain can fall, the sun can shine and soil exists?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
..........and transport costs and pollution aren't going to go away.
At least inner city farms cut down that, and they do let folks who live in the city have some hands on growing and processing of food.

It's not all bad, and in this overcrowded world, making best use of the already urbanised bits is surely practical :)

M

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
But it isn't practical. Inner city land prices are absurd....and as I said - lifting soil up ten stories and then pumping up water, and artificial fertiliser? Cities are already short of water, the South East has to import it. There's a reason why people do better spread out. The whole thing strikes me as weak thinking. Why do people need to live packed in together? To go to an office? Why? We have teleconferencing, video messaging and online collaboration. No need to pack people into cubicles any more. For shops? Shopping will all be online soon enough. Cities are a thing of the past (with luck).

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
I hope people stay packed in cities so that I can have more space in the country.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
As for farm scrapers...as a guy who grows stuff...they are a daft idea...how much water do they need? Far more than falls on them! Where does the soil come from? The manure? Should we transport the soil, the manure, the water to a city skyscraper to grow food? What's so wrong with the Mark I field? You know, where the rain can fall, the sun can shine and soil exists?

Hydroponic growing is already a reality Red, You dont need soil or manure, everything can be packaged into the water delivery system which is very frugal too. the growing medium is a gel. This stuff is already being grown commercially and trialled on some prestigious residential developments in the far east.

Its a sad fact but it will all go this way with population growth. I would of course prefer the Mk1 field approach :)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Hmm I've seen - and toured - hydroponic set ups. I've never seen one that's commercially viable - its strikes me as an "agricultural perpetual motion machine" - you still need a growing medium, nutrients, water, light. If you have to pay for, circulate, import and transport them, I can't figure it being more efficient than where they occur naturally.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE