Guitar players amongst us?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Just testing the waters here, so to speak. I have a collection of about fourteen guitars, mostly electric but a few acoustics as well. They are all decent quality, in very good condition and well set up having been meticulously kept and played mostly at home, so not gigged-out workhorses. I play every day for a few hours so none of them has had heavy wear. All except three have cases or a good gig bag.

I am now 73, and suffer very bad pain from osteoarthritis to the point where it's not viable any more to play as much as I have in the past, and age means the likelihood of live gigs is, sadly, history. All this means that the herd has to be drastically culled and I just thought I'd post this to see if there might be interest amongst fellow members before I go down more normal routes. I'll leave this up for a while to try and gauge what interest, if any, there may be.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
One of my big regrets is not learning to play when I was young. I tried in my mid 50's, but quickly found I did not have the dexterity in my left hand to finger many chords.
Much luck with your cull.

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
Yup, I'm also a guitar player.
Have three - favourite being a six-string mandolin (yeah, I know).
But not looking to expand the collection, alas.
Not unless you have a steel bodied Gretsch. Or a Gibson Les Paul in sunburst.
No.
No, mustn't!
I couldn't afford to give you a fair price for them anyway.
Wish you all the best and hope you get a good price for them.
I trust you'll be keeping one or two favourites, just as old friends.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Now! I have just one old acoustic that I started to learn long ago. It was stolen along with my mandolin but this was long ago when the police used to solve crimes.
I got both instruments back but they were damaged and I haven’t tried using them for more than 40 years.

I have wondered if I should attempt something in my old age but I cannot promise you that anything I bought would be played as it deserves.
So far I’ve made myself a one string fretless electric base out of an axe handle - you could take that as a yardstick of my talent.
.:thinking:

gibson 175

Apr 9, 2022
West Yorkshire
I play but have enough guitars. Can I ask where you feel the pain? I am 61 with no arthritis but I may have one day. I sometimes think about it. Also ,as I am sure you know , a music shop would give you way below the value they are worth. It's always great to talk about guitars and guitar playing.
How many guitar players does it take to change a light bulb? answer is 8..... 1 to change the light bulb and 7 to say how much better they could have done it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pattree

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
The pain is usually in the base of both thumbs and sometimes both wrists, (not at the same time), I've had to modify my playing quite drastically and accept that things I used to play as my warm-up exercises are now impossible to play at all. This has been, for me, the biggest and hardest part of growing older. I have by and large accepted, indeed welcomed, some of the other changes that age has brought.

I don't foresee any problems getting a decent price for the instruments to be culled, but it'll take a little time as I won't (can't) post them out, so collection only.

Why are all the Guitarist jokes so simple? So the rest of the band can understand them!

• Haha
Reactions: gibson 175

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
How many guitar players does it take to change a light bulb? answer is 8..... 1 to change the light bulb and 7 to say how much better they could have done it.
Lead to drummer: “What’s up with Bass?”
Drummer: “Rythm has put one of his strings out of tune.”
Lead: “So what?”
Drummer: “ He won’t tell Bass which one!”

• Haha
Reactions: Scottieoutdoors

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
I play(ish) - getting back into it again after a few years not... but having just bought a Epiphone Les Paul Custom Koa :drool: recently...as well as an Valeton GP200 effects pedal to the tune of "ouch" I don't think I can risk my marriage with anything else this year :lol:

Reactions: Macaroon

johnbaz

Nomad
Mar 1, 2009
Sheffield, england.
www.flickr.com
I had several terms at college learning guitar in my late 30's/early 40's, I'm 65 now and have the same problems! My hands are becoming very stiff with painful joints, I had carpol tunnel syndrome in both hands, Had my fretting hand done, Best thing I ever did!!, The other hand needs doing now as it's waking me up several times a night!
I have way too many guitars and gave four away to my sister recently to adorn the walls of their summerhouse, They only needed two so gave the other two away to her hubby's kids (Previous marriage!)..

John..

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE