A very British way to light a fire

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

joelinman

Apr 19, 2015
wombwell
hair mousse will catch a spark and burn relatively slowly.... maybe a couple of minutes depending on size of the mousse you squirt out, long enough to get a fire going.

gather the lint from your tumble dryer filter, its free, practically unlimited, compressible into small packs....perfect!

Take a pencil sharpener, preferably the ones that have a small and larger hole, then you can sharpen twigs, which will give super wafer thin shavings which will catch a spark

Tommyd345

Nomad
Feb 2, 2015
Norfolk
True! I went to Shanghai and drank a lot of wheat tea (think that's what it's called) I'd love to get my hands on some but It has a different name that I don't know haha!

I see they sell them there now!
I heard that "Sweet Afton" cigarettes and black shag pipe tobacco are gone now too.
Ireland is where I learned to love those little steel covers for pipe bowls, so that you could smoke in the rain..
Happy days back then....

Anyway for some real pyrotechnics (which means that you are not dressed in synthetics at the time, and are wearing safety glasses):

1. Coffee whitener powder, open packet blow onto fire.
2. Baby powder made with cornstarch rather than talcum, blow onto fire.
-Ball of flame.
Now we know why smoking is banned around grain elevators and wood mills.

There have been some really serious confined dust explosions in factories from things like sugar,etc

AdeInTokyo

Feb 13, 2016
Tokyo, Japan
I see they sell them there now!
I heard that "Sweet Afton" cigarettes and black shag pipe tobacco are gone now too.
Ireland is where I learned to love those little steel covers for pipe bowls, so that you could smoke in the rain..
Happy days back then....

Anyway for some real pyrotechnics (which means that you are not dressed in synthetics at the time, and are wearing safety glasses):

1. Coffee whitener powder, open packet blow onto fire.
2. Baby powder made with cornstarch rather than talcum, blow onto fire.
-Ball of flame.
Now we know why smoking is banned around grain elevators and wood mills.
Pretty much anything ground down to a powder will burn. Burning is a reaction with oxygen, it's all about surface area. And adding a bit of heat. Aluminium powder and ironoxide powder together give thermite.

In fact there are very few things that don't "rapidly oxidise" when the surface area is sufficient.

Don't forget the classic steel wool and a 9v battery.

xairbourne

Jan 10, 2006
Pontypool
www.youtube.com
Ive started to roast my own coffee ( I plan to do a post) Then the Doris and I wondered what we could do with all the left over coffee grinds (pucks). She started to make some soap with them but got overwhelmed with the amount of coffee I drink...:coffee:
Now we fill up old toilet rolls and put them in the log burner, they burn well and give a good ember. I don't really get the smell as its off up the chimney. I will take some along on my next camp to sample the smell.

MountainGhost

Feb 10, 2016
United Kingdom
"There have been some really serious confined dust explosions in factories from things like sugar,etc"

There are some heavy duty blast doors installed inside Bird's custard Factory in Birmingham for this reason. Looks like a nuclear facility rather than a pudding factory.

"True! I went to Shanghai and drank a lot of wheat tea (think that's what it's called) I'd love to get my hands on some but It has a different name that I don't know haha!"

"Barley tea? That is popular. 麦茶 ?"

I agree with Ade. Probably Barely tea, 麦茶 (màichá).

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
I only drink proper coffee, can't stand tea. SWMBO won't drink coffee, only tea. We end up carrying both. I can see some interesting situations ahead if we run out of tinder!

However, I expect her reaction if I suggested using her tea-bags would be hot enough set damp wood aflame.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Ive started to roast my own coffee ( I plan to do a post) Then the Doris and I wondered what we could do with all the left over coffee grinds (pucks). She started to make some soap with them but got overwhelmed with the amount of coffee I drink...:coffee:
Now we fill up old toilet rolls and put them in the log burner, they burn well and give a good ember. I don't really get the smell as its off up the chimney. I will take some along on my next camp to sample the smell.

I be the neighbours are drinking more coffee as well, they'll be smelling it in the air, you should be getting some renumeration from the local supermarket :D

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Fantastic thread, truly a superb idea!!
Some tea bags are made with a synthetic bag. Do these work also?

Spent coffee grinds are superb to use as a mulch in the garden too. Tea leaves of course too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE