A very British way to light a fire

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tommyd345

Nomad
Feb 2, 2015
Norfolk
Hello chaps,

So today I was playing about with natural tinders, and so had my firesteel out. I decided it was time for a cuppa. Looked at the tea bag and lightbulb! Thought to myself it should work! So I tested it out, straight away the bag burst into flame! The flame then heated up the tea which smelled nice and also made an ember which burned for a good 5-10 minutes!

Has anyone experimented with different teabags!? I was using clippers, nice big bag!

Tommyd345

Nomad
Feb 2, 2015
Norfolk
Has to be before tea making aye. I think it works well because it's extra dry? I'm going to try drying out some used tea bags and see what happens!

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
:O I'm trying this tomorrow! Cheap and cheerful stuff? Or specific brand?
This thread is becoming more and more interesting!! What other unexpected things catch fire super easy?

My work pants when grinding the end of a steel lintel once

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chaard

Forager
Jul 9, 2013
Reading
I'm going to experiment tomorrow with tea bags, instant and real coffee. Also various hydrocarbons on face pads.what burns best and longest. Results to follow

Sounds like the best use for tea bags, vile stuff! :p

I see they sell them there now!
I heard that "Sweet Afton" cigarettes and black shag pipe tobacco are gone now too.
Ireland is where I learned to love those little steel covers for pipe bowls, so that you could smoke in the rain..
Happy days back then....

Anyway for some real pyrotechnics (which means that you are not dressed in synthetics at the time, and are wearing safety glasses):

1. Coffee whitener powder, open packet blow onto fire.
2. Baby powder made with cornstarch rather than talcum, blow onto fire.
-Ball of flame.
Now we know why smoking is banned around grain elevators and wood mills.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Did you never do the biscuit tin filled with icing sugar with a lit candle in it in science at school? Dust fires can be pretty spectacular and if controlled fun too. But yes be carefull.

Sent via smokesignal from a woodland in Scotland.

Chaard

Forager
Jul 9, 2013
Reading
Experiment postponed due to rain - yeh i know a good fire starter should light in the rain anyway but the used tea bags i had set aside still weren't completely dry and i want a good fair test.

Wizzkid67

Dec 23, 2014
London
I remember them type of science classes we used to do it for open days when I helped out blow flour across a flame big flames good times.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I remember them type of science classes we used to do it for open days when I helped out blow flour across a flame big flames good times.

It was fun when you still got to blow stuff up wasn't it :thumbup::D:eek:

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE