A small present to myself

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Got myself a new job recently, and so to celebrate my first pay check I bought myself one of these.

I fancy the little skinner as an edc neck knife - I got the one with burl scales. The hunter knife won't be anything exceptional, but I hope it will be a bit more rugged than my Mora classic woodcarver, which is a bit lightweight for a lot of bushy tasks.

Not the greatest knives by any means, but looks reasonable at the price.

I'm awaiting delivery now. Anyone got one of these already?

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Thanks for the feedback John. I know less than nothing about different steels - the subject sends me to sleep. I love my Mora, I just wanted a somewhat larger knife.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
The new shinys arrived today!

The first thing to note is that the service from Knifebargains.co.uk was excellent. Their website said delivery in 3-5 working days, but I ordered late on thursday night, and they arrived this morning, which is way before I was expecting them. That's a point in their favour, and I would definitely recommend them on the strength of that alone.

I'm pretty pleased with the knives too, and I'll get some pics up soon, but initial reactions are that the little skinner is a really cute knife, just the size I wanted, looks nice, and will defintely become an edc. The hunter is as robust as I hoped, although I think the grip will take a little getting used to, and I think I like it a little more than I expected to. It has a nice simple sheath too. Neither blade is absolutely scary sharp, but I can cut paper with the hunter, and it had no trouble carving into some hard resinous pine, so I've no complaints about the edge either.

When I put up the pictues I'll do a fuller review, but for now, I'm very happy.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Ok, the pictures. Took the knives out to a little wood near me for an field test. We had snow yesterday and overnight, but nothing really significant, and all the roads are clear. The woods were pretty though.

5211453957_fd68068a7c_b.jpg

First, the skinner. As I said, I really like this one. My initial concern was the the indent for the forefinger goes slightly into the back of the blade edge, leaving a slightly sharp corner, and I could see myself cutting my finger if I put any pressure on the knife. However, it isn't as sharp a corner as I thought, and when I did press hard the grip was secure and I don't think this will be a problem after all. The knife sits in the hand nicely, and the fielwork on the back gives extra grip when needed. It cuts well and I'm really happy with it. The sheath is simple and compact, but doesn't hold the knife as securely as I might like - if you turn it upside down the knide can slip a good inch or so out of the sheath, and there is a risk it might fall out altogether. It is also going to take a little bit of ingenuity to rig up a cord that will allow me to use it as a neck knife. The sheath has a belt loop for wearing on the hip, though I don't think I'll do that much.

5211451835_52bee88e2d_b.jpg

5211453319_d04668007e_b.jpg

5211453643_563db1355f_b.jpg

Overall, I'm very happy with it, considering what I paid for it.

Next the hunter. I wanted something rather more weighty than my mora, and this fits the bill. The scales are not real wood, and the holes in the tang seem to be decorative rather than functional. My initial concerns about the grip have been allayed by using it. It sits fine in my hand, and I was able to carve green wood easily. I did my first ever batoning with this knife too, which was definitely an aim beforehand. I'd still rather use an axe, but having a knife that is up to the job is a good thing too. The sheath is leather, and holds the knife securely using a simple press stud. The sheath is a little marked on the back, but nothing significant - just a surface stain from storage I think, and the belt loop isn't straight. The loop also seems to have a tendency to twist a bit in use but seems secure.

5211452269_aa60396ac1_b.jpg

5211452593_b525f670d4_b.jpg

5211452887_0ba2589681_b.jpg

I paid a fraction over £30 for these two combined, including shipping, which seems to me to be a very good deal. neither knife is perfect, but for production blades at the cheaper end of the market my initial reactions are extremely positive.

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
the skinner looks good for the money,..,...

the other blade, if your planning an getting along with it, deserves a bit of wood puttin on it,...

but thats just me,...i cant seem to leave much unmodified of late,...

cheers..

Stu

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
I also love the skinner too... But the hunter for the money you really cant fault!

If you want them convexed, just let me know. I did the hatchet the other day and it actually pop's the hairs off your arm!

Its good to treat yourself now and then :)

atb, TBL.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE