A really small archery set that works?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

akabu

Tenderfoot
Apr 23, 2006
USA
Wimps, Britain is not the world, so what do you do in the forest/jungle/desert on vacation /holiday without a slingshots/catapult/rubber bands and you’re lost? Make a sling and practice till your proficient and starve?
Even with a small bow it would be easier to procure game/fish and less of a learning curve.
Just my opine better to know and practice. And have not to use than stick a finger in the air to be Politically Correct[PC]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFrT16vPHEg&feature=channel_page
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=&search_query=bamboo+bow&aq=f

Dec 18, 2008
Durham.
Bigshot, you're right, but I didn't want to get bogged down in answering a theoretical question :)

Nige7whit, I'm well aware of the differences between arrows and pellets, but Rappleby never mentioned hunting DEER :rolleyes:

A .22/.177 pellet at 12 ft-lbs can still be badly aimed LEGALLY into the torso of a rabbit, wherein it can run away and die slowly.
An illegally fired arrow into the torso of said bunny will render it immobile, enabling it to be despatched quickly.
Go figure :sulkoff:

trail2

Nomad
Nov 20, 2008
Canton S.Dakota (Ex pat)
Ok I will give it a try. I built a (for want of a better name) Cupids bow. Asymmetrical limbs severely set make riser and recurved tips. 36" long , 55# @23' was made from Osage Orange with ten courses of sinew on the back. I copied it (kind of) from a plains Indian Buffalo bow. You draw to the chest not the usual anchor. Oh and use it when hunting from a horse. You could make a short bow but you have to take into consideration the short draw length. But then again some Turkish bows were of the same length but drew to the ear. But thats a whole 'nother construction technique. There you are getting into the realms of composite bow building.
Jon R.

Rob

Need to contact Admin...
Legalities aside.............

At one of our primitive archery events last year, we held a competition to make mini-bows.

The rules were simple, any bow from materials on site - nock to nock no more than 20". We did allow for brought in string materials. Only knives were allowed by way of tools, although we did manage to do some working with flint.

I was amazed at what we achieved, with about 90 paces being the longest range achieved. They were reasonably accurate over short distances.

So yes, it is possible.

nige7whit

Forager
Feb 10, 2009
Brize Norton / Midlands (rest)
Nige7whit, I'm well aware of the differences between arrows and pellets, but Rappleby never mentioned hunting DEER :rolleyes:

A .22/.177 pellet at 12 ft-lbs can still be badly aimed LEGALLY into the torso of a rabbit, wherein it can run away and die slowly.
An illegally fired arrow into the torso of said bunny will render it immobile, enabling it to be despatched quickly.
Go figure :sulkoff:
My point was that the bill that outlaws hunting animals with bow and arrow is a general one, and in my opinion, is intended to prevent medium/large game animals, such as deer being killed and maimed by the indiscriminant use of archery based methods.

I believe it is still the case that the smallest permitted calibre for deer hunting is .243", this is intended to render a more humane kill, based on the presumed shot placement of a reasonably skilled shooter.

A bow and arrow used on small agile targets such as rabbit, pigeon, etc, would require a great degree of skill to hit such a target at a possibly unknown distance. If a hit is achieved, then the small animal may well be pinned to the ground, or at least unable to properly escape with an arrow attached. It is my opinion, that legal or not, a bow and arrow is not the best solution for small animal hunting/pest control, and in the past, I have done archery, pistol shooting and rifle shooting, quite extensively, so I have a good grasp of what each weapon is capable of.

pheasant plucker

Tenderfoot
Mar 4, 2007
Birmingham, England
It is illegal to hunt with my recurve bow that puts out about 50 ft-lbs energy but it is okay to hunt with an on the limit air rifle at 12 ft-lbs :banghead:

You only need 3lb of energy to kill a rabbit with a headshot, where as hunting with a bow you have to aim at vital organs and make the animal bleed to death! That's why it's banned in this country as it's deemed as being inhumane.

PP

Pheasant Plucker...
...if someone hunted that way they, not the weapon, would be inhumane. That's where the "priest" comes in. Hit with the arrow, then move in and make a quick kill, or "administer the last rights" to word it in line with the "priest" bit.

Plus, you can get a pretty swift death from deer with a bow of sufficient power, I doubt the average small game would far much better.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
My point was that the bill that outlaws hunting animals with bow and arrow is a general one, and in my opinion, is intended to prevent medium/large game animals, such as deer being killed and maimed by the indiscriminant use of archery based methods.

I believe it is still the case that the smallest permitted calibre for deer hunting is .243", this is intended to render a more humane kill, based on the presumed shot placement of a reasonably skilled shooter.

A bow and arrow used on small agile targets such as rabbit, pigeon, etc, would require a great degree of skill to hit such a target at a possibly unknown distance. If a hit is achieved, then the small animal may well be pinned to the ground, or at least unable to properly escape with an arrow attached. It is my opinion, that legal or not, a bow and arrow is not the best solution for small animal hunting/pest control, and in the past, I have done archery, pistol shooting and rifle shooting, quite extensively, so I have a good grasp of what each weapon is capable of.

The bill was rushed in after a media storm caused by a duck that had been shot with a pistol crossbow which had nothing at all to do with real archery. :rant:

trail2

Nomad
Nov 20, 2008
Canton S.Dakota (Ex pat)
Most small game hunters here use a hex blunt,Judo point or a head like an Adder. These kill by concussion and are usually deadly on impact. The use of broad heads on small game is counter productive as you get pass throughs and the game often makes off before hemorrhage kills it.That and if you use them on tree rats you tend to do a fair bit of climbing to unpin your target.
Recurve and long bow shooters here are about the most ethical hunters you will find.
They practise year round and spend a lot of time during Spring and Summer at 3D shoots and field courses. Most restrict their shooting distance to 15-20 yards .Compounds with sights are a different game where you can push an ideal shot out to 40 yards.
I have shot Deer, Antelope, Elk,Moose and Black bear (not a brag just a fact) with a recurve and all have gone down for good within sight,Except for the bear which ran into a Tamarack swap. I heard him go down but finding him in there among the blow downs and swap took over an hour.
Not a plug for bow hunting just hopeing to dispel a few misconceptions.
Jon R.

OldFingersGreen

Forager
Jan 30, 2009
Manchester
i did an experiment a couple of weeks ago to see if hawaian slings could be adapted for use out of water, after playing with the arrows for a while and using pheasant feathers for fletchings i got very consistent accurate shots at 20 yards, probably more useful than an inaccurate short bow in a post zombie situation.

sinew backing seems to be the way forward if you want a shorter bow

Tye Possum

Nomad
Feb 7, 2009
Canada
Sure is strange that bowhunting is legal here (pretty sure...) but not in the UK where bows used to have such a major roll. I guess if you shoot a deer in the face with a gun that's more humane than shooting a deer in a major organ or something with a bow because it takes longer to die because it has to lose so much blood but as long as you do hit the right spot, it's death shouldn't be prolonged too much. I think with small game though, unless you're in some sort of survival situation where you won't have access to rubber, a sling shot works well. A good set of hunting bands (preferably flat bands) with 44cal. lead round ball ammunition (for muzzle loading guns) and good shot placement like to the head and that's all it takes for a clean kill. I guess a bow could work with rabbits or something if your as good a shot as say that Fredde guy(that's his name right?) but shooting an arrow straight up into a tree to get a squirrel doesn't sound like a good idea, especially if you have to climb up to get em afterwards too.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Oh dear.
Sorry RAPPLEBY. My bad:banghead: I did wonder why you were implying that you were wanting a little concealable bow to help what sounded like your already ongoing stalking efforts. That's just how I read your post.:eek:

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
So, do you regret asking the question ?, !.

And why only shoot small zombies ?, the pc crowd may see you as heightist !.

gunslinger

Nomad
Sep 5, 2008
Devon

Like wise I have used bows, rifles and shotguns to hunt in fact my French hunting license is cleared for both firearms and bow hunting,as this is perfectly legal in France.
So to use your word. I have seen many animals maimed rather than killed outright due to indiscriminate use of rifles ,in fact more so than bows. The bowhunter knows that he has to get closer to maximise the best shot. In France I have hunted deer and boar with a bow and also with rifles 444 marlin and shotgun with solid slug,and TBH there is no difference in the the missed and poorly placed shots in any one discipline.
I have also killed many rabbits with my bow,it no more difficult at 40m than shooting the bull on a target.
If you cant then dont, if you can find somewhere it is legal and enjoy.

GS

ForgeCorvus

Nomad
Oct 27, 2007
norfolk
The main problem with really short bows is that they squeeze your fingers together causing you to "pinch-off" the arrow (the nock is squashed between the drawing fingers making the arrow come off the rest)

If you're going to use a short bow you'd do best using either a Pinch draw (the common Native American style. You grip the nock of the arrow rather then the string) or a Mongolian draw (where you put your thumb around the string and 'lock' it in place with your index finger )

Go here to read more http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bow_draw

One of the compound shooters at my club had a carbon fibre one-piece recurve for shooting on our field coarse (as he didn't want to have to haul his heavy compound around.....and he could feed it cheap wooden arrows rather then his 12 quid each carbons), it wasn't much over 40 inches strung and weighed less then half a dozen of my arrows !

Traditionally, small game and birds were hunted using Blunts, a flat ended lump (sometimes domed ) that through history have been made from everything you could think of hardwood, bone, antler, clay, lead, bronze, brass, iron/steel, engineering plastics, the list goes on. Blunts were used because rather then punching a hole into (or more likely through) your prey they deliver all of the kinetic energy in one big thump. Think about it, an 8oz arrow pushed out of a 60lbs bow is going to hit you fairly hard. A head-shot on Bugs with that set up is probably going to be like sapping the poor begger with your priest......only you can do it from 30 yards (which is about as far away as the field archers I know set their 3D bunny-sized targets)

I must stop being a bow-nerd :lmao:

ForgeCorvus, who has been known to shoot arrows at straw, foam, cardboard, flags, lumps of polystyrene pretending to be popping-jays and sometimes people, but never live birds or animals

cheapeats

Forager
Feb 20, 2008
New England
I have shot deer with boyh rifle and arrows. The deer that traveled the farthest after being hit was shot thru the heart with a rifle I paced off a distance of 60 yards as the crow flys but the deer zig zagged more than 100 yards. Blunt tips (weighted and about 1/2 inch in diameter) are the way to hunt small game, when hunting upland game birds like pheasant birds that are to be taken on the wing a figure 8 shaped peice of wire is added to the blunt tip to give a shotgun like spread on the arrow. For larger game like turkeys a broadhed is used but a device is added behind the broadhead to prevent pass thru.

Naboo the device I mentioned earlier is powered by a band like a hawian sling and can really send an arrow flying.

to throw in a few more questions in this discussion: aint the bows of the SAN people rather small-sized?(o.k., they use poison, but that would be a THEORETICLY option as well)
and while i was in the best and most beautyful country of the world(a.k.a. "australia") and new zealand i came across some pretty short compound bows... (bowhunting on non-native animals is legal over there!)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE