a problem i could do with your help with

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
Hiya gang

Now that I havea voyagers tripod set up with griddle, Dutch oven, and skillet, and cowboystyle coffee pot kettle and will be getting a kettle trivet and skillet trivetwhen at the moot thanks to woody110. I am looking at getting a bake stone fordoing pizzas and what not.
Which looks like this

DSC_1009.jpg

the above pic what taken when i went to brokwell woods and the dixie, one of the dutchies and the kettle arent mine but the rest is
Now this is were I need your helpbecause when I use the tripod set up most I have to have the fire in a halfbarrel (which I already own) and the half barrel on the ground. Now because Iuse a tripod I don’t want to raise it of the ground. So that leaves me with nowere to stick the bake stone due to normally it goes under the fire tray orbarrel to make an oven and so it can bake from the heat coming down to theground.
So I thought about using these
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Camping/Outdoor-Cooking/Camp-Blind-Stoves%7C/pc/104795280/c/104754780/sc/104246280/Coleman174-Camping-Oven/745746.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fcamping-outdoor-cooking-camp-blind-stoves%2F_%2FN-1100705&WTz_l=SEO%3Bcat104246280

admittedly Iwould need to make my own so that it would one of sit on top of the barrel sothat I could build a fire underneath it.
Two so that I couldstill use the tripod as it should be unless of course I hang it off the tripodset up.

What are your thoughtand opinions and or any other ideas

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Why do you need it? just stick the stone (or pie plate or anything else you want to bake) inside the dutch oven and pile coals on top as well as under it. There's a reason they're called dutch "ovens."

But you won't need to suspend the DO over the fire; just place it directly onto the coals the way it was designed.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Why on earth do you want to put your bakestone inside your dutch oven? The DO is effectively a bakestone with sides and a lid.

Your DO will do everything that you might use your bakestone for.

Last edited:

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
You can have pizza bake stones cut to size with a tilecutter so it would go inside the DO
My MOD ovens are biggish and pretty heavy but will do good pizza.
I'll send some pics when I get home.
Cheers , Simon

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Why on earth do you want to put your bakestone inside your dutch oven? The DO is effectively a bakestone with sides and a lid.

Your DO will do everything that you might use your bakestone for.

You can do it without the bakestone. For that matter you can cook one in your household oven on an ordinary baking sheet. The only problem with the DO is that being black metal, it will cook the bottom (where it's in contact) quicker and possibly burn the bottom of the crust before the rest is done. That may or may not be a problem as people obviously have varying tastes. I for one sometimes enjoy slightly burned crust.

The point I was making though is that when you think of your DO as a cooking pot rather than an oven, you're seriously limiting it's capabilities.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Gosh Drew I've always admired your enthusiasm and energy in bushcraft but you are really moving into a settled lifestyle. What's next a wattle and daub hut with thatch roof?

:eek:

Well the reason for it is obvious isn't it?

He now has a lady he has to start getting the homestead ready for when she moves in :rolleyes::rofl::rofl:

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
I've been a bushcrafter for many a year, and I spent all my mams money on ray mears gear....
Chorus.
An its no ney niver, no ney niver no more, will I be bivvyin aht side a bushcraftin store...?

I went to Ronnie sunshines, whose store I'd frequent, and and told owd Ronnie my pocket brass wer spent...i asked him for bush credit... He answered me ney, for a customer like yor, I should be gettin more pay....

Chorus.

Well I showed him my loyalty points, 20 million on his Web site, owd ronnies eyes opened wide wi delight.....,
He said.. My boy thal have tarps n. Dutch ovens.... Only the best...... For you really have bought more Shyte, than all of the rest!

Chorus....

Well tonight I return home and show my new gear to my dear loving mum... An ask her to parden er bushcraftin son... An after the rollicking like many times afore, i'll have to promise me mam, that I'll not go round to owd ronnies bushcraftin store....

Chorus...

It's been......... Emotional!!
Copyright Chiseller ;-)

Nuggets.. "YOW Bear Yow Bear"
Bear.. "Eyup Chis... Can yor undastand a wurd e just sed? "

nuggets

Native
Jan 31, 2010
england
he managed to get a photograph of the campfire ....without anyone sitting next to it ???? What time was that drew ??? :)

Lupin Rider

Mar 15, 2009
uk
And i was hoping for a new verse...

Well after two week's i couldnt wait no more, back off to ronnies for a pizza base i went...

I've been a bushcrafter for many a year, and I spent all my mams money on ray mears gear....
Chorus.
An its no ney niver, no ney niver no more, will I be bivvyin aht side a bushcraftin store...?

I went to Ronnie sunshines, whose store I'd frequent, and and told owd Ronnie my pocket brass wer spent...i asked him for bush credit... He answered me ney, for a customer like yor, I should be gettin more pay....

Chorus.

Well I showed him my loyalty points, 20 million on his Web site, owd ronnies eyes opened wide wi delight.....,
He said.. My boy thal have tarps n. Dutch ovens.... Only the best...... For you really have bought more Shyte, than all of the rest!

Chorus....

Well tonight I return home and show my new gear to my dear loving mum... An ask her to parden er bushcraftin son... An after the rollicking like many times afore, i'll have to promise me mam, that I'll not go round to owd ronnies bushcraftin store....

Chorus...

It's been......... Emotional!!
Copyright Chiseller ;-)

Nuggets.. "YOW Bear Yow Bear"
Bear.. "Eyup Chis... Can yor undastand a wurd e just sed? "

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE