i could do with some kind help trying to find a 2 night camp spot in oxford

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

courtney

Tenderfoot
Feb 21, 2011
near rugby
hi all
i brifly mentioned in my new members intro about me and my mate doing a sponsored hike/camp along the oxford canal aprox 110 miles there and back to where we live. i have been trying to sort out a 2 night camp spot at the lost price possile. preferble free as we are raising money for the air ambulance. i contacted the scout campsite there and as im not a member we are not aloud (fair enough i think). i am still struggling to find a spot, as we are going to have a day off in oxford so we can go to the museums while we are there b4 the return hike home again. does any1 know any where within a 2mile area of the end of the oxford canal. i could go a couple more miles out but dont really want to be adding more miles on if we can help it.
really appriciate any help

cheers guys and gals

mikergj

Tenderfoot
Feb 5, 2011
Oxford
I recently walked the south downs way,which is the same sort of distance as you and we had no problems camping. We chose our camps each night as we went, were considerate and left no sign of our presents. We had no problems, especially when we told people we were raising money for charity. But then we were setting up camp an hour before dark and gone by half eight in morning. we did have locals and farmers have long conversations with us while setting up camp with no problem.

Any way to your problem, two nights in one spot. I live in Kidlington which is about 15-20 minute bus ride into centre of oxford and the buses run every 15 minutes. Kidlington is right on the canal and there is plenty of spots along the way you could camp up and probably have no problems, but then obviously it would not be good for me to recommend you some where with out permission.

What I can say is it would be worth giving "The Highway Man" Pub a call. The garden of the pub is on the canal and they do have motor homes stop there, If you explain to him what you are doing I am sure he would help and Oxford city is a short bus journey away. I dont know the number, but said pub is in Kidlington.

Let me know how you get on
Cheer
Mike

courtney

Tenderfoot
Feb 21, 2011
near rugby
cheers for ya help mate. that does sound like a good option. we should be at enslow at night 3 and night 4 hit oxford itself so in half a day. so could pitch up at the pub in kidlington and walk to oxford and back the next day an hit the museums. i shall email them now and see how i get on. i am hoping to miss out the buses due to its kinda cheating if we use the bus the final few miles. cheers for the help

mikergj

Tenderfoot
Feb 5, 2011
Oxford
Let me know if you get a reply , if you dont I could pop in the pub and see if I can sort it for you. When are you doing this walk. If you have no luck there is a small site across from the pub I may be able to sort.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE