a problem for u to solve

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I know your not new to this Drew , but the best advice i could give, once you have got your final list, is to go out for a weeks walk, give your self a minimum distance to do per day and a final goal mileage(not destination) and do not stay in one place for two nights. then pack your kit and walk it, perhapse shadowing a rail line, so you can either push on or double back to a staion to get home once you reach your distance goal, i'tll give you an idea of what milage you can realisticly achieve in a day, what it'll be like trying to find sleeping spots, and shake down your kit to see what you will actually need, tramping about the country is a lot differnt to go out for a weekend. it's a great adventure. did you catch the secret britain(iirc) a couple of weeks back, two guys who travel the southdowns in a singing minstrel style really cool idea.

Also i'd recomend joining the YHA, a shower,clean bed and a washing machine, even if it's once a month or less is a welcome treat. you could use them as your goals.

Last edited:

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
...Also i'd recomend joining the YHA, a shower,clean bed and a washing machine, even if it's once a month or less is a welcome treat. you could use them as your goals.

one way to do this could be to always spend roughly the same amount of time travelling between hostels (10 days might work) but vary the distance between hostels. so you arrive at hostel A and sort yourself and your kit out, have a kip, feed properly etc. then pick hostel B. if you're full of energy and up for a challenge choose one that's about 150miles away then get your head down and start walking. if, on the other hand, you're not feeling quite so energetic, choose one that's only 50miles away make a start on second breaskfast.

i think that goal setting is a mega important part of what you're wanting to do, an aimless bimble is all good and well but if you don't set yourself goals i think it will become increasingly difficult to remain motivated when it gets tough. and it will get tough.

cheers

stuart

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
And some of th ehostles are in stunning locations Check out the SYHA web site. I also suggest practising repairing your kit, all of it, trying out what you can sew, what you'll need special products for.

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
For utensils, you only really need a big plastic spoon or spork. Of course you could always carry or carve a set of long chopsticks at each camp ;-)

I would dump the axe; it's weight you don't need, it increases the chance of you seriously injuring yourself and it's not really suitable for carrying around the UK hiking esp. if you get a "friendly" lift from the local constabulary.

Talking of injury, are you first aid trained? If you're away from regular trails or out at times of the year when there aren't too many people around then it's worth making sure you know how to use your first aid kit and stock it with extra items that are going to be useful. First on my list to be added to a FAK are what I use most often; more pain-killers (Ibuprofen/Paracetamol/your preference, generally not asprin), Immodium (or generic Loperamide), plenty of Rehydration sachets and anti-histamine cream. I also add a trauma dressing just in case, hope never to use it but it's there. Sorry if this is completely obvious, but keep your FAK in a dry-bag that's easy to extract from your pack at any time. Mine always lives in the lid of my rucksack in a brightly coloured dry-bag.

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Hi Drew.

I'd ditch:
The sleeping bag - and take something half the weight and size instead.
The axe.
The folding shovel.
The stool.
One of either the trainers or sandals - I like sandals so probably the former.
The flask,
The frying pan - but then I rarely fry anything.
The blow poker.
One at least of your water containers.
The camera tripod.
....and to be honest a lot of the wee bits and bobs too.

I'd add a bowl.

I know you've already said how much you like some of that lot and will be taking it regardless. Fair enough, they'd still be on my ditch list though.

I don't mean to be cheeky but you sound latched into fixed camp mode. Half a mile from the car and going back for the food is nothing like hiking. Being overloaded takes the fun out of things real quick.

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
ESSENTIAL RUCKSACK ITEMS
SLEEPING BAG
TARP
TARP ACCESSARIES
MAT
NIGHT WEAR
T-SHIRTS/JUMPERS
LONG TROUSER WHICH CAN TURN IN TO SHORTS, SOFTIES
SPARE UNDERWEAR, SOCKS
CLOAK does not go in sack but fits under hood along with camera
BOOTS, TRAINERS, FLIP FLOPS.
WATERPROOF SOCKS
WATERPROOFS
WASH KIT, TOWEL, TROWEL
T TOWEL, DISHCLOTH, SPONGE
WASHING UP LIQUED
ALCOHOLIC HAND GEL
HAT AND GLOVES
KNIFE, FORK, SPOON
HOT LIQUEDS FLASK
BILLY CAN, FRYING PAN
POT GRABBER, BLOW POKER
HEXI STOVE, BOX, PEGS, SHEILD, METHS AND BURNER
HEAD TORCH, SPARE BATTERYS
TWO LITRE WATER BLADDER
PERSONAL FIRST AID KIT
INSECT REPELLENT PROBABLLY WONT NEED THIS NEVER BEEN BITTON
SUNTAN LOTION
LAPLANDER SAW
SHARPENING KIT
FOOD
NALAGENE BOTTLE
SEWING KIT
solar mobile and camara charger

ESSENTIAL PERSONAL WEAR THAT ONLY GOES IN SACK IF IN A TOWN CENTRE
KNIFE, CROOK KNIFE
FIRE LIGHTING KIT
58 PAT WATERBOTTLE AND BAG
58 PAT CUP/ MILL BANK BAG
CRUSADER AND LID
STAFF

OPTIONAL ITEMS
PEN/PENCIL
CANDLE LANTURN
NOTE BOOK
CAMARA
CAMARA TRIPOD strapped to side above side pocket or slung underneath the hole thing
CAMARA ACCESSORIES in camera bag
TREE BOOK
WILD FOOD BOOK
PACK OF CARDS

now guy this is an updated list that you lot have had input on now anymore things to loose yes i know the two litre water bladder is there but i just cant see how one litre will be enough for a days water.
Also i am going to be joining the yha in october anyway and never thought to use it southey but what a brilliant idea i most definatly will be doing

drew

ps southey your idea of doing a week and seeing what i use and dont use is a brill idea i might just do

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
A couple more I'd drop still ....

FLIP FLOPS
TROWEL (use a stick)
T TOWEL, DISHCLOTH, SPONGE (sphagnum moss will do)
WASHING UP LIQUED (boil up some ash from your fire to break down the fatty stuff)
HOT LIQUEDS FLASK
HEXI STOVE, BOX, PEGS, SHEILD
58 PAT CUP

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE