A pet hate of mine-help me to understand!

Wilderbeast

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
Hi all,

Like many tossers I have pet hates. These hates are often irrational, that's the point, if they were rational it would be a legitimate hate!

Anyway, with regards to knives my pet hate is quite specific...

grindsmygears.jpg

Take a look at this knife...It's a very good looking tool. But why, WHY WHY WHY does the grind not continue to closer to the handle???? I understand why you would want it a few mm away, so you could move your hand slightly off he grip, and so it is easier to sharpen, but some knives are missing almost a centimeter of grind.The piece of the grind closest to the handle is the most powerful part of the knife, it's where I do the majority of my cutting so I don't understand why people waste one of the most important parts of the knife by leaving it un-ground and un-sharpened.

Someone must know the practical reason why this is done....please help my ailment!

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
maybe the blade is banged out with a mind to having a choice of handle length?

and the one shown is sporting the shorter handle option?..

dunno just grabbing straws here,....

when i make a knife i know what the plan is handle-wise as i draw it on the steel in black marker to get "my eye in"

then i start the grind according to the drawn on handle,...'

i,m waffling now,....hahahah

Stu

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
i have one of those very knives and the grind is closer to the scales than my Pukka Woodlore and my Shing, the only thing ive had done to mine was to incease the grind height and it took an mediocre tool that saw little if any use and turned it into one of my favoured everyday use tools.

Mine after the regrind

DSCF9700sep2.jpg

Last edited:

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Some people like to be able to choke up on the blade for fine carving. To be honest woodlore shaped knives don't make the best carvers though!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Nah - this is just "variable workmanship"...
I have recently had an A Wright Bushcrafter for review (for one of the mags I write for) and the grind was well off centre - 1mm off the centre line!
It was returned to A wright for comment and they said it was because the knives are hand ground...there is bound to be some variation...
I would guess that the ricasso on the one in the picture is part of this "hand ground variation" as the one I had was no where near as deep....

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Nah - this is just "variable workmanship"...
I have recently had an A Wright Bushcrafter for review (for one of the mags I write for) and the grind was well off centre - 1mm off the centre line!
It was returned to A wright for comment and they said it was because the knives are hand ground...there is bound to be some variation...
I would guess that the ricasso on the one in the picture is part of this "hand ground variation" as the one I had was no where near as deep....

It's hand ground without any care and attention if the grind is off centre like that. Never has one of my knives left the workshop in that condition. I also have the grind up by the handle.

I've often seen knives with the plunge line a fair way from the handle and always thought "why?"

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
It's hand ground without any care and attention if the grind is off centre like that. Never has one of my knives left the workshop in that condition. I also have the grind up by the handle.

I've often seen knives with the plunge line a fair way from the handle and always thought "why?"

You may say that - I could not comment...... as the saying goes.... ;)

No Idea

Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
I picked up a knife years ago that had a radius in the end of the grind.

When I saw it, I took it to be there to stop the blade cracking across.

I dont remember ever seing another radiused but wonder if it was supposed to be, but got dropped for speed on later blades.

Hedgehog

Nomad
Jun 10, 2005
East Sussex
Indeed, never saw the practical advantage of a ricasso on a woody. A few mm is all that is needed.

I'd be reaching for the files & getting rid of it.

_mark_

Settler
May 3, 2010
Google Earth
I have the very knife pictured, zebrano and all. The standard grind is useless, I've all but ruined mine trying to do what Kepis did, other than that they are bomb proof!

robevs73

Maker
Sep 17, 2008
llanelli
I agree with you Will what a load of crap!!!
Theres no way on earth that I would sell a knife like that, I have only had one knife returned to me with a grind issue about a year and a half ago, He got another knife back as soon as I could make it and he's had two more since and It was a small complaint .

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE