A little disappointed with Ray Mears

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
I fish and hunt. I have respect for my quarry but I don't believe in spiritual clap trap and I'm certainly not going to mourn the death of an animal I've taken. What do you do in your city supermarkets, get on your knees and wail to Wotan (or whatever imaginary friend it is) through the meat section?

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
I fish and hunt. I have respect for my quarry but I don't believe in spiritual clap trap and I'm certainly not going to mourn the death of an animal I've taken. What do you do in your city supermarkets, get on your knees and wail to Wotan (or whatever imaginary friend it is) through the meat section?

i do,...

i show respect for the Sainsbury's Original Recipe Pork and Apple Sausages by wearing them as a necklace until ripened,..

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
i do,...

i show respect for the Sainsbury's Original Recipe Pork and Apple Sausages by wearing them as a necklace until ripened,..

Hahaha. The worst I do is wear their face like a mask whilst I do a little kooky dance. .....only on a Wednesday though.

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
As to get on board on this ethics thing Dear OP, I too heard about the contact of ice and fish to be believed to cause and extrem thermal shock, that is mainly transported to their central nervous system by their ( help me god I do not know the translation for this term ^^) Feeling organ that is at the flanks of most species of fish, this causes a shock like state lowering all feeling to the severely low, and so it can die a lot more peacefull, and as for the don't keep them dangling on the hook thing:

Its something other then most people believe it is, seeing the fact the majority of fish have the same amount of nerve endings in their lip-sides as we do in our foot callus( okay so I could find a better example^^), the thing why you shouldn't leave them dangle is because they can inflict serious harm to them selves by flopping around harshly when suspended on the hook. kinda like leaving a blender or Router on without something slowing it down, it will flop so hard that it actually will break something inside of it self, this I heard from a fish farmer who for that reason always holds its koi's with two hands, one near the head and one near the tail.

Hope that gives a better perspective in this matter,
Yours sincerely Ruud

ps sorry for the long post people

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
So to give my opinion,
I do not think he was wrong in his actions, yet I personally would have killed the fish on the spot
I think that what the problem is here, is that we anthropomorphise the fish to much, me included that is why I would perform the instant Coupe du grace, if I'm spelling that right. It is in our culture to make such a perspective of animals
yet allot of mistakes and suffering come from this style of affection.

I wish you all a good night and will be interested to hear your opinion on this matter.
Yours sincerely Ruud

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
As to get on board on this ethics thing Dear OP, I too heard about the contact of ice and fish to be believed to cause and extrem thermal shock, that is mainly transported to their central nervous system by their ( help me god I do not know the translation for this term ^^) Feeling organ that is at the flanks of most species of fish...

I think you may be refering to the "lateral sensing" organ? I'm not sure that's the right term either but probably close. If so, then I believe it's the way fish "hear." it senses the vibrations in the water that would echo on our eardrums.

Mind you my comments are based on a vaguely remembered article I read years ago.

Gotte

Nomad
Oct 9, 2010
Here and there
So to give my opinion,
I do not think he was wrong in his actions, yet I personally would have killed the fish on the spot
I think that what the problem is here, is that we anthropomorphise the fish to much, me included that is why I would perform the instant Coupe du grace, if I'm spelling that right. It is in our culture to make such a perspective of animals
yet allot of mistakes and suffering come from this style of affection.

I wish you all a good night and will be interested to hear your opinion on this matter.
Yours sincerely Ruud

No, that's fair enough, and thanks for the info in the post before. Nice to see someone prepared to discuss it sensibly, without all the eye-rolling or chestbeating.

Glad of the input.

All the best

Gotte

Nomad
Oct 9, 2010
Here and there

Boy, you have got a lot to say, haven't you ;).

Personally, I try to stay out of city supermarkets as much as possible, but then again, without being psychic, how would you know that? Ahh, yes, you woudn't ;)

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Boy, you have got a lot to say, haven't you ;).

Personally, I try to stay out of city supermarkets as much as possible, but then again, without being psychic, how would you know that? Ahh, yes, you woudn't ;)

I don't believe in psychics either.

*Perhaps, just to clarify, when I used the word 'you' it was as a general reference to anyone on the thread who was slating Ray's handling of said organism.

*The joy of forums :rolleyes: - having to explain everything.

Last edited:

Gotte

Nomad
Oct 9, 2010
Here and there
I don't believe in psychics either.

*Perhaps, just to clarify, when I used the word 'you' it was as a general reference to anyone on the thread who was slating Ray's handling of said organism.

*The joy of forums :rolleyes: - having to explain everything.

My apologies. Saw what wasn't there. All the best.

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Wow! Haven't really been on here the last couple days but it's good to see the Ray Mears thread is still going strong...I'm not going to bother reading the posts though.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Wow! Haven't really been on here the last couple days but it's good to see the Ray Mears thread is still going strong...

Don't they always? :)

Personally I think Bear has the right idea dispatching his fish straight away by biting through the spinal cord.......

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE