A little disappointed with Ray Mears

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
So if you're pier fishing, rock/cliff fishing or maybe off a high jetty, how do you get your fish in? Do you climb down and handball it out of the water? No.

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
IMO, the whole thread has gotten way off the original point, which was Chubby's non-observance of practices
that he professes he holds close to his heart - not some aboriginal tribal member in a country most here
would have trouble spelling.....

I agrre with the original post - he was in the wrong.....

Wrong or not personal insults about him are not the way to go.... poor show

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
IMO, the whole thread has gotten way off the original point, which was Chubby's non-observance of practices
that he professes he holds close to his heart - not some aboriginal tribal member in a country most here

I try to avoid saying things like that about someone that i have never met.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
You use a drop net

For a mackerel? Nope never seen it done for that application, only with larger fish and you'd be stuffed with a conger, but then you'd be using heavy enough line (if that's what you're targetting) and you'd haul it up by hand with gloves on.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Or at least written to Mr Mears to ask for some eplanation of the technique used, ir have you just decided to vent on a public forum without any prior effort or research. My contributions to this thread have mostly been at the level of its origin, free explosions of my imagination with no thought of offering any real content.

Gotte

Nomad
Oct 9, 2010
Here and there
Or at least written to Mr Mears to ask for some eplanation of the technique used, ir have you just decided to vent on a public forum without any prior effort or research. My contributions to this thread have mostly been at the level of its origin, free explosions of my imagination with no thought of offering any real content.

Not so much vent as state disappointment with someone I genuinely admire. Of course, I could address it to the production company, or Ray Mears, but I see the board more as conversation between friends.
It seems a little over the top to expect everyone with an opinion on something to follow a due procedure before they even think of commenting on what is, after all, a forum for discussion.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales

Personal insults are supposedly not allowed on BCUK and yours is out of order; I'm amazed the mods did not remove your post or the offending word at the very least.

As for the original post well it seems the practise is common there and other places so not really a lot to complain about in my opinion.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Personal insults are supposedly not allowed on BCUK and yours is out of order; I'm amazed the mods did not remove your post or the offending word at the very least.

As for the original post well it seems the practise is common there and other places so not really a lot to complain about in my opinion.

None of it should be here as it's now questioning the ethics of fishing.

Gotte

Nomad
Oct 9, 2010
Here and there
None of it should be here as it's now questioning the ethics of fishing.

I agree with you, though would just clarify the original post as perhaps not so much about the practice of humanely treating the animals you intend to kill to eat.
I have the greatest regard for the trout which I do catch and kill. They are beautiful things, and I feel a great kinship with them when I take them. They are, after all sustaining me, however unwillingly. There is a certain moral ambiguity, as I don;t really need to take them. After all, if I wanted fish to eat, I could just buy them. But I see the whole process as connecting me with the cycle of nature (however wishy-washy that may sound), and returning me to a more natural being; I catch and kill something rather than have someone do it for me, and in that, I want to dispatch the animal with as little extra suffering as possible. I owe it that, at least.
True, the whole process is bloody and painful, but to prolong that process when it need not be prolonged, especially when I assumed Ray Mears was of at one with the First Nations' ethic, seems hard to take; especially after I had tried to explain that principle to my daughter, and after telling her how Ray Mears was head and shoulders above the likes of Bear Grills. And there he is, doing all the things I told her you should never do (well, he didn't de-hook the fish while it was still alive, but you get my point).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE